shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I getting a bad diamond - help fellow PSers!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 7:29:12 PM
Author: october2008bride
Date: 5/1/2009 7:26:24 PM

Author: emeraldlover1

Date: 4/30/2009 10:23:48 PM

Author: bgray

ERD is not a place for a superbly stone: he specializes in affordable stones that look good enough.... you should have bought from Whiteflash, excel, supercert or GOG--Further this stone you bought is EXTREMELY deep for a round which makes it face up smaller than it should. you could have gotten a .8 that was perfectly cut that faced up bigger than this.

Honestly, I''m starting to believe that you have a personal issue with Mark. You take every opportunity you can to make sure that posters here know that. I respect your opinion that you did not have a good experience but to say that Mark isn''t know for superbly cut stones is rediculous. Just because he didn''t talk about it with you doesn''t mean he can''t or won''t. Most people he has as customers are far less educated and the OP gave some tough constraints, he''s not going to get it right every time but that doesn''t mean he can''t.

I went to another ps vendor to look at stones in person before we were ready to buy and didn''t see the most amazing stones, but I don''t bash them everytime someone posts about their experience. So my question to you is, why?

Thank you for saying what I was thinking.

And to the OP - that sounds like great news!! I can''t wait to see pics (either way) - so make sure you come back!

Ditto!

latman

Rough_Rock
i want to make it perfectly clear that mark did help me a great deal with this process as i was very uneducated with diamonds. truthfully if i wouldn''t been doing some much research here, i would have never found the hca tool and probably would have never second guessed my purchase. i have thanked mark countless times for his patience for me and sharing his expertise - he is a true connoisseur in the diamond industry and i was lucky to get a chance to work with him.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m excited for you to see this and judge for yourself - look at it in all possible light settings - good luck! Don''t be afraid to return it, tho.

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 8:28:57 PM
Author: latman
i want to make it perfectly clear that mark did help me a great deal with this process as i was very uneducated with diamonds. truthfully if i wouldn''t been doing some much research here, i would have never found the hca tool and probably would have never second guessed my purchase. i have thanked mark countless times for his patience for me and sharing his expertise - he is a true connoisseur in the diamond industry and i was lucky to get a chance to work with him.
That is good to know latman... a lot of us here had a similar experience. Regardless, it is still a lot of money so if you are not happy with it when you see it in person then by all means return it. But if your eyes love it then let the numbers go. They are a useful tool for weeding out some of the bad but they are by no means the end all be all in a diamond purchase.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
He has a refund and exchange policy. I am sure he will have no issues with you returning the diamond and finding another one that meets your specs and desired HCA score. Rounds are easy :razz:

latman

Rough_Rock
Well, I wanted to give everyone a brief update. I tried uploading pics, but it says the file size is too big
7.gif

The ring is absolutely gorgeous. I understand what the HCA advisor does and have read more than I probably should have on here and other websites about it, but in this case I''m going to keep the ring even though it scored high. Here''s what I can say about the ring - it is absolutely eye clean and looks colorless even though it''s a J. The diamond sparkles like crazy - to the point where it almost hurts my eyes in any lighting. I was looking at it on the way to work this morning (I''ve been staring at it non stop since I got it...haha) and it was cloudy with no light at all and it was still white as could be and sparkling like crazy. I am very happy with my purchase and will be keeping the ring as is. I know my girlfriend will absolutely love it!

Thank you to everyone for their advice, but in the long run I''m going to have to trust my eyes and not the numbers this time. I will try to shrink the file so I can upload pics.

sazza

Rough_Rock
Ohh please upload pictures. I can''t wait to see it :)

Abril

Shiny_Rock
Note to self: 36/41 can be a good combo. 62.7% depth not a problem. Should not be dogmatic about HCA being a rejection tool.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
36.gif
Yah!!! I''m so glad it turned out beautiful! I was so afraid this might be a case of "mind clean" and no
matter how beautiful it was that the fact you knew the HCA scored would deter you from keeping it.
But you are going to get 30 lashes with a wet noodle
11.gif
if you dont up load us some pictures! You''ve had
all of us waiting on pins and needles!
32.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2009 10:31:06 AM
Author: latman
Well, I wanted to give everyone a brief update. I tried uploading pics, but it says the file size is too big
7.gif

The ring is absolutely gorgeous. I understand what the HCA advisor does and have read more than I probably should have on here and other websites about it, but in this case I''m going to keep the ring even though it scored high. Here''s what I can say about the ring - it is absolutely eye clean and looks colorless even though it''s a J. The diamond sparkles like crazy - to the point where it almost hurts my eyes in any lighting. I was looking at it on the way to work this morning (I''ve been staring at it non stop since I got it...haha) and it was cloudy with no light at all and it was still white as could be and sparkling like crazy. I am very happy with my purchase and will be keeping the ring as is. I know my girlfriend will absolutely love it!

Thank you to everyone for their advice, but in the long run I''m going to have to trust my eyes and not the numbers this time. I will try to shrink the file so I can upload pics.
Just found your thread. Delighted to hear you love it.

My guess is that Mark didn''t bother addressing the HCA issue because he doesn''t particularly heed it. Just a guess. Back a few years ago, Mark had the most horrifically shot photographs on PS (his current pics are SO much better). When I purchased in 2006, I went to WF if I cared about all the details and images and Mark if I was willing to trust a great, honest guy (not to say there aren''t any at WF - I like Bob Hoskins myself) who would sell me a diamond based on what he thought was a beautiful stone for my price range. He was, and still is, one of my fav PS vendors, partly because he seems to focus his time on finding great matches for clients instead of hanging out on PS all the time with the rest of us loonies.
41.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so happy you love your ring. It sounds like a beauty! Ultimately, you wear a diamond, not it''s specs on your hand many long time PSers have less than ideal specs on their diamonds, but are in love with their diamonds because they bought with their eyes. Beacon''s current diamond and KristyDarling''s diamonds (both rounds) are ones that come to mind. I''ve seen them both in person and as you say... they literally almost hurt your eyes they are so amazing.

Congratulations and I know that she will love it as much as you do.

Now... get those pictures loaded so we can oooh and awww over them!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!! I am just so happy you love your new ring. I was sure you would-I still have yet to see Mark sell an ugly stone. Numbers are great and fabulous but sometimes they don''t tell the whole story.

Now we just need pictures please!!!!

latman

Rough_Rock
how can i shrink a picture to fit it on here? i admit the photos aren''t the clearest because i don''t have the highest quality digital camera, but i''m sure you''ll agree with me when i say it''s a beut!

mayerice

Rough_Rock
I''m glad you took the stone, I agree with all of you who said that the eye is the best judge. Mark is a good guy and he tries his best. congrats on your purchase.

leftfinger

Rough_Rock
latman,
please post pics....we all want to see the ring....please!!!!!!!
36.gif

you just can''t leave us hanging....c''mon!
9.gif

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I''m waiting to see this ring too!! C''mon - post pics!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results