shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dlg

Rough_Rock
Hi. I recently got engaged! I have a thread on the show me the ring forum. I will post one picture here so my question makes sense. I LOVE the center stone and looked at it before he bought it. I also saw a setting similar to the one I bought and love the style but I didn''t have a chance to examine the one he purchased before he purchased it (the one the jeweler had when we looked together was in white gold and my fiance asked them to order the same thing in platinum). Anyway, after wearing the ring for a week, I noticed a flaw in one of the side stones- the biggest side stone. It is in one of the round bezel set stones. The stone is approximately .16 carats. The appraiser said that the side stones are H/VS2-SI1. Anyway, when I say there is a flaw, there is a black dot that I can see in the stone when I look at the ring on my finger. I am not looking at the ring under a loop or microscope- I see the black dot with my naked eye. It is the size of a pen dot. Does that matter? Should the jeweler have told my fiance about it? If it was a problem, shouldn''t the appraiser have said something? Should I try to get the jeweler to replace the stone? Should there be a charge for this? Could replacing the stone disrupt the detail in the platinum around the stone? Am I being crazy- should I just be ok with the fact that there are flaws in diamonds and tell myself that no one will notice this except me. It is a side stone not a center stone. Please give me some guidance!!!

side view of ring.jpg

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Go back to your jeweler and have it professionally cleaned. It seems like you would have seen the black inclusion when you first got the ring. Maybe it''s just dirt?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Assuming the ring is clean, you are most likely seeing an inclusion. This can be common with an SI1 diamond, and you can often expect to see something in a diamond of this type (small sidestone not chosen as scrupulously as a center diamond). In a .16 carat diamond, I would not bother to replace it. If it drives you crazy, that may be a different story.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t mean this to sound bad, but if it took you a week to see the spot it must not be too terribly noticable.
you said that the stones are graded vs/si, well si means that there is a chance that the inclusion will be visible to the eye, so the jeweler and appraiser did nothing wrong by not pointing it out. there are ''eye clean'' si stones, but it is not a given that you won''t be able to see anything with si clarity. actually, with si clarity you should assume that you will see an inclusion.
since you didn''t notice the spot right away, there is also a chance that the spot is really just a spot..maybe dirt or something stuck on the stone. you could try giving the ring a good cleaning and see if you still notice it. otherwise, i think you may just have to live with your diamonds unique ''birthmark''.
2.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like it''s really bothering you. I suggest that you take it back to the jeweler and have them clean the ring professionally. If the dot is still there, you can then ask them what would be involved to replace the stone with a better clarity one.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, by virtue of being on this site, you are just as crazy as the rest of us. LOL

It looks like you are the recipient of a fantastic ring. Congratulations on your engagement and we all hope the rings symbolizes a lifetime of happiness. Have the ring cleaned first as was recommended. If the black dot remains, it''s an inclusion which is certainly possible in a SI1 stone, but since it''s obviously a concern to you, I would take it to the jeweler who made the ring and ask them to replace the stone with one that won''t catch your eye in a negative way.

You should be within any reasonable exchange period at this point and you should not have any issues with the ring so early on.

Best wishes to you........

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2006 10:48:07 PM
Author: Rod
Actually, by virtue of being on this site, you are just as crazy as the rest of us. LOL

It looks like you are the recipient of a fantastic ring. Congratulations on your engagement and we all hope the rings symbolizes a lifetime of happiness. Have the ring cleaned first as was recommended. If the black dot remains, it''s an inclusion which is certainly possible in a SI1 stone, but since it''s obviously a concern to you, I would take it to the jeweler who made the ring and ask them to replace the stone with one that won''t catch your eye in a negative way.

You should be within any reasonable exchange period at this point and you should not have any issues with the ring so early on.

Best wishes to you........
Ditto, and I add my best wishes to you as well.
1.gif

dlg

Rough_Rock
I will certainly take all of your advice and have it professionally cleaned. I have already cleaned it myself though with the Tiffany''s solution. Still see a black dot. It''s not going to drive me crazy so long as it is not uncommon to see a black inclusion in a side stone. With that said, I may not replace it. But if I do, does that place the detail of the setting at risk? Thanks for all of your comments so far...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel sure stones can be replaced in most settings. You may have to pay for it since the stones were represented as SI, but if it bothers you, I''d check with someone who makes fine handmade settings and ask about your particular setting. I am like you in that I don''t like visible inclusions either. You have a gorgeous ring and I don''t blame you for wanting it to be right. Can''t hurt to check on it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, you can buy a little loupe on ebay for just a few dollars and look at that stone with 10x magnification and see what it is better.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In an SI clarity it is common to be able to see a tiny something, especially the more you look at the diamond as others have said. It probably is just a teeny inclusion, remember that the trade definition of eyeclean is from 10 - 12 inches, not close up. Get a good cleaning in case it is a speck of dirt, if not then try to think of it as a little birthmark in the diamond, but if it truly bothers you then get it changed out - it is easy to fixate on a little flaw and it can drive you nuts and spoil your enjoyment of the ring. You aren't alone, this happens to many of us so I hope this helps! Also remember diamonds come from nature and aren't always perfect. A good craftsperson will be able to change the side stone so that you would never know.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2006 10:54:00 PM
Author: dlg

... I may not replace it. But if I do, does that place the detail of the setting at risk?
I think it will... there will be ''reconstruction surgery'' involved to remake the bezel and what if the two sides will never end exactly the same again?

Btw. can''t believe I missed the initial thread of this ring! Sure you know this is way big for 2 cts... but if you look among the 3 cts cushion cut on the list above... quite a few are of about the same size. And in your pictures, it doesn''t look like there was any trade off for that gain. Good for you. Tricky for upgrades though
2.gif

dlg

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all of your advice. I feel much better. I still MAY try and replace the stone- but probably not. In any case, I won''t do anything until after I get it cleaned by the jeweler, look at it under a loop, and figure out if I really care.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results