shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I confused about SI?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

djpoobah1

Rough_Rock
So I recently started shopping for an engagement ring, and I went with my folks to their most trusted jeweler. I was shown a loose round stone around 1ct, that was SI1 (GIA grade). The jeweler made it seem as though this was the norm, and that SI1 was the quality most people sell. For some reason, I always thought SI wasn''t great quality (no evidence, just my raw opinion). Is this true, or should I consider shopping for a higher clarity? My budget is $6-7k, if that helps.

Thanks
Paul

~*Snow*~

Shiny_Rock
I''m not an "Expert" but here''s my understanding and experience...

While SI1 might seem low on the clarity scale it''s ussaly a good medium to get the most bang for you buck. If it is "eye clean" you will deffinatly get more carat weight from an SI! then if you go up to a VS2. If you look through the mountain of photos on here you''ll see lots of people with SI1''s that are absolutly beautiful...

SI! is also considered comercial grade diamonds, so by far the most redially available in stores.

bunniesoup

Rough_Rock
It''s entirely possible for a SI clarity grade stone to look perfectly eye clean.

Infact, some might say spending the extra cash for mind clean VVS and VS''s might be overkill. It all depends on your preference.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Getting an eye clean si2 stone was my ticket to a 1.5 carat stone

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a eyeclean SI2 princess
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the scale goes from F/IF, to VVS, to VS, to SI, to I. I wouldn''t ever pay for IF, and I''d never want an I clarity either. So the mid-range: VVS, VS, or SI is really personal preference. I like VS1 and VS2 for my diamonds, but many people want to get a larger size stone and going to SI allows them to do it.

If I were you, I''d read the cut quality information on this site as well as the 4 C''s section on the www.goodoldgold.com site before you make a purchase.

If you use the cut quality search on this site, put in excellent cut, color H clarity VS1 and VS2, carat 1.0-1.1, you''ll come up with 5 ideal cut diamonds in the $6500 range. So if you want to go to a higher color, you''d have to go down in clarity. But H color is very nice in ideal cut stones.

https://www.pricescope.com/sift.aspx

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Most of the jewelers I''ve been to also act like SI is the best clarity. You can get beautiful SI stones, but I usually prefer a VS, too. Other than that, DITTO on DiamondSeekers post!

Welcome to Pricescope!
21.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Our now pastuerized founder, Leonid, ran some data on Pricescope shoppers purchases some years back and found a strong purchase preference for around SI1/VS2 and about F-H (from my memory).

Most stores sell I1-I2. There is simply more of them.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/23/2007 8:42:15 PM
Author:djpoobah1
So I recently started shopping for an engagement ring, and I went with my folks to their most trusted jeweler. I was shown a loose round stone around 1ct, that was SI1 (GIA grade). The jeweler made it seem as though this was the norm, and that SI1 was the quality most people sell. For some reason, I always thought SI wasn''t great quality (no evidence, just my raw opinion). Is this true, or should I consider shopping for a higher clarity? My budget is $6-7k, if that helps.

Thanks
Paul
Naturally in Gemstones..., the lower the quality..., the higher the quantity!!!

Most Jewelers sell Diamonds of lower than SI1 quality..., that is a fact!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/25/2007 4:47:49 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Our now pastuerized founder, Leonid, ran some data on Pricescope shoppers purchases some years back and found a strong purchase preference for around SI1/VS2 and about F-H (from my memory).

Most stores sell I1-I2. There is simply more of them.
Sorry Garry..., I didnt read through the whole thread..., I just saw your similar answer...
2.gif

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If size is important, & funds are limited, then look for a great SI,

if size is important, & you have the funds, then look for an VS

if size is important, you have the funds, but want to save money, get the SI

if you dont care about size, but have to have it as perfect as you can afford, get the VS

if you dont care about size, but want to get the best value, then get an SI

anyone want to add to this?

I''m done being an a$$.
36.gif
25.gif
LOL To answer your question specifically about SI, SI clarity has given consumers more confidence to buy this clarity if eye clean. I have one, I love it. If I didnt have an SI, my stone would have been smaller, & I wanted as large a stone as I could get on my finger.

Gary, you bring up a good point about Leonids survey a while back. Would be interesting to know what & how different that data is today. Perhaps some vendors can chime in about what they find consumers are requesting. I know back in 2002 when I was looking, SI-1, was not considered a great clarity, but fast track a few yrs, & now it seems a lot of SI''s, either 1 or 2, are selling well. Maybe just my observation, but it would be interesting to see how the trends may have shifted.

Judy
:)

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2007 9:12:30 PM
Author: heraanderson
Getting an eye clean si2 stone was my ticket to a 1.5 carat stone
Ditto.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results