shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I alone in my love for this stone?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
For whatever reason I'm loving this sapphire. I can't upload the photos so here is a link.

http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/exceptional-deep-blue-nigerian-sapphire/

It's far from trade ideal colour. It is probably considered 'inky' and judging from it's darkness it would die in low or even medium light. But I really, really like it and the cut and shape is very attractive to me. If I had the cash I'd buy it just to see what it's like IRL, maybe keep it.

I've noticed myself liking darker sapphires in general. What stones do you like that are far from the trade ideal? Like Freke's love for grey/greyish stones?

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I tend to like darker/oversaturated stones in certain colors as well: Greens and Blues, mostly.

I like this stone, and the saturation looks vivid, but I would want to see a handshot like he has for some of his other stones. Maybe it blacks out nearly entirely in the hand.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would agree with your analysis: excellent saturation, but dark in tone. I always encourage folks to cultivate their love of non-trade ideal as it can save one a boatload of money. :))

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
yes, dark in tone but RICH in color!

and, minousbijoux - I agree with you 100% - saving the boatload is worth a lot if your ideals aren't quite trade ideals ;-)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it's not that I don't like it, but due to the pictures, it's difficult for me to accurately judge. I never judge gems against a very dark or black background, and the second smaller photo has too much table glare for me to properly judge it as well.

If you are considering it, I would ask for photos of it on a neutral background, and without table glare.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
TL and CC - additional shots should definitely be requested if someone is considering purchasing it. I notice now that in the second image it seems to have some extinction on one end - maybe disguised half-half extinction?? In any case I don't have the money.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
TL|1393796361|3625980 said:
Well, it's not that I don't like it, but due to the pictures, it's difficult for me to accurately judge. I never judge gems against a very dark or black background, and the second smaller photo has too much table glare for me to properly judge it as well.

If you are considering it, I would ask for photos of it on a neutral background, and without table glare.
+1

Black backgrounds usually make darker stones look more vivid; black backgrounds contrast with dark objects to make the object more saturated in color, and have lighter tone (less grey/brown). Black makes things pop.

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I like the darker sapphires too. Reminds me of a dark blue ocean. Every time I look at the sapphires on Gemfix, I stop and stare at this one and would buy it if I had the money to.
sapphire_blue_1059.jpg

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Am I seeing a skin type of foundation on the hand in the picture TL posted?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I asked the vendor if the sapphire has half/half extinction and he replied by saying that yes, it does. If gemfix's sapphire was slightly lighter it would be lovely. It reminds me of the blue spinel posted in the Someone's gotta buy this stone thread. (love the comparison to the ocean btw)

Diana's sapphire is too dark for my tastes.

This thread has definitely helped me define my preferences in sapphires more clearly. Vivid medium dark blue.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1393851968|3626341 said:
I asked the vendor if the sapphire has half/half extinction and he replied by saying that yes, it does.

I applaud the honesty of the vendor. I tend to like trade preferred colours but there are exceptions such as lighter green tsavorite and lighter blue sapphire. Even so, I go for very saturated stones. I am more flexible in tone but tend to go for lighter rather than darker tone because not being able to see colour under low light conditions or seeing a lot of extinction bothers me more.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1393855745|3626369 said:
LoversKites|1393851968|3626341 said:
I asked the vendor if the sapphire has half/half extinction and he replied by saying that yes, it does.

I applaud the honesty of the vendor. I tend to like trade preferred colours but there are exceptions such as lighter green tsavorite and lighter blue sapphire. Even so, I go for very saturated stones. I am more flexible in tone but tend to go for lighter rather than darker tone because not being able to see colour under low light conditions or seeing a lot of extinction bothers me more.

The vendor was very honest and also offered to negotiate price.

It is interesting to hear everyone's preferences like this.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I prefer lighter non-ideal color in Emeralds. The emerald earrings that Angelina woret an Academy Awards show are too dark for my taste. I like Frekes emerald color. Thats my ideal.

Annette

Angelina Jolie is the name above. My computer keep erasing letters above. Sorry

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results