shape
carat
color
clarity

Alternatives to French Doors for Home Office

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone have any ideas for alternatives to standard double/French doors for a home office? The opening is approx 63” wide by 94” high. I need to put something up so I can close myself off from the noise of other activities in the house since I work from home full-time. The standard go-to seems to be double/French doors (and I’d need a transom window horizontally across the top as well), and I’ve seen those cool barn/sliding style that appear to hang from a rail along the top, but I don’t have enough space for the doors to slide completely open. So, I’m looking for other ideas before we go the French Door route.

Anyone have/seen/done anything along these lines? :confused:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there room for two doors sliding to each side like this? https://www.houzz.com/photo/1967962-treehouse-contemporary-bedroom

or slide into wall: https://www.houzz.com/photo/774835-harlem-residence-childrens-room-contemporary-kids-new-york

I wonder if there's a way to do a double track, so two smaller doors can slide to same side?

No, unfortunately there isn’t. The doors would each need to be about 32” wide, and there is less than that for the doors to slide to each side of the opening for when they’d be open. I’d otherwise love that idea.

I could do pocket doors (where the doors slide into the wall itself), but I didn’t want to have that much renovation for the solution, and would just go with regular French doors instead.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't know if one of those folding type doors would be enough to box you in. I find that these can be most "space saving" than French doors are. BUT I will say stylistically....they are U-G-L-Y, at least they have an alibi :lol::lol::lol:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got a few questions...
  • What style is your house? Modern, traditional, etc? Asking because if a loft type feel with brick, you might be able to get away with a translucent roll up door, or maybe a translucent garage type door that goes overhead. This might even work for modern style homes.
  • What size is your office?
  • How big is your current door opening? What size of door opening would you like?
  • You mention you don't have enough room for barn doors or similar, but state you have enough room for pocket doors. Based on this I am guessing there is something going on with your layout that ONE side of the wall where you want to put the doors is causing you interference. Can you provide a sketch (MS paint is okay) of what is going on?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if one of those folding type doors would be enough to box you in. I find that these can be most "space saving" than French doors are. BUT I will say stylistically....they are U-G-L-Y, at least they have an alibi :lol::lol::lol:

Thank you, that’s an interesting idea I hadn’t thought of. If I could find some ‘pretty’ bi-fold doors, I would totally be game! Like maybe with some stained glass panels ... there is so much natural light that comes into my office that they could be really pretty and functional in terms of closing myself off from the other goings-on at home. Hmmm ... :think:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got a few questions...
  • What style is your house? Modern, traditional, etc? Asking because if a loft type feel with brick, you might be able to get away with a translucent roll up door, or maybe a translucent garage type door that goes overhead. This might even work for modern style homes.
  • What size is your office?
  • How big is your current door opening? What size of door opening would you like?
  • You mention you don't have enough room for barn doors or similar, but state you have enough room for pocket doors. Based on this I am guessing there is something going on with your layout that ONE side of the wall where you want to put the doors is causing you interference. Can you provide a sketch (MS paint is okay) of what is going on?

I super-suck at describing styles, but I guess it’s colonial/traditional. :confused: The home’s exterior is brick, and the inside is pretty open/traditional. All hardwoods downstairs, semi-"grandish’ staircase at the entry right outside the office. I like the idea you have for an ‘industrial’ solution, but this home isn’t really right for that. In a converted loft-style, I’d be all over that!

Here are a couple pictures of the office space (without furniture) if it helps. Those windows are North/Northeast facing, but there is tons of indirect bright light that comes through them throughout the day.

FFA3BD15-9F08-4393-82F7-43072794C38C.png

8E1FF33F-79A1-40D4-BACE-85A018D62D0E.png

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I could find some ‘pretty’ bi-fold doors, I would totally be game!
I don't think these exist. :lol: I would probably try to find some antique doors ala Fixer Upper style and build the opening to fit them.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think these exist. :lol: I would probably try to find some antique doors ala Fixer Upper style and build the opening to fit them.

:wavey: Actually, they do (sort of) exist. I just did a quick search, and Lowe’s carries something like what I described above, though this is not my first choice, but just for example ... https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pinecroft-...n-x-80-in-Actual-35-5-in-x-78-625-in/50100698

I might talk to my handyman about possibly custom building some for the opening (which is approx 61" wide x 95" high), and I might hunt down some stained glass panels to use in them. Hubby likes the idea, but is letting me have the final say since it’s my work space. This could be a fun project. :appl:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you could swing a pocket door that would be a great space saver. Will the doors mostly be open or closed? What will be behind the doors when open? Shelving? Furniture? There are styles for these doors that do have windows to match your windows in that room Or moldings similar to the existing doors in your house. It depends on how closed off you want to be as the windows could be frosted. I have read articles and seen videos that proclaim that barn doors are not as popular as before.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
:wavey: Actually, they do (sort of) exist. I just did a quick search, and Lowe’s carries something like what I described above, though this is not my first choice, but just for example ... https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pinecroft-...n-x-80-in-Actual-35-5-in-x-78-625-in/50100698

I might talk to my handyman about possibly custom building some for the opening (which is approx 61" wide x 95" high), and I might hunt down some stained glass panels to use in them. Hubby likes the idea, but is letting me have the final say since it’s my work space. This could be a fun project. :appl:

i would talk to him about cavity sliders (what you call pocket doors)
i sold door when i worked in a timber store
if he can hang french doors he can install cavity sliders
they really are so neat and tidy, we had them in our old house, they can look very handsome because you can have almost any style of door you want

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
We actually did this—double French doors with a transom over the top. Our openings are wide so they had to custom build them—will see if I can snap a photo later. I love the look—it’s so open, light, and airy, and it helps with sound reduction, but I wouldn’t call it sound proof. If sound blocking is important to you, talk to your contractor about that specifically. I think ours told us pocket doors would be worse in terms of sound.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results