shape
carat
color
clarity

Allergic to all eye makeup

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Bloody h*ll. I was using a plain brown Lancome, and now that too is causing issues. I've worked my way through all hypoallergenic drug store brands with zero success. Any recommendations? I usually use a soft brown pencil.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you are asking about eyebrow pencils? Do you know what ingredient in them that gives you issues? My eyebrows faded a lot with age and then on PS @mrs-b mentioned that she used Grande Brow serum on her brows. I ordered the trial size and it worked enough that my natural brows are darker now and I don't need to use any brow pencil. So I ordered the regular size and have continued to use it. I thought I'd mention that, in case you could use something in lieu of pencils, which give you an issue.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
So you are asking about eyebrow pencils? Do you know what ingredient in them that gives you issues? My eyebrows faded a lot with age and then on PS @mrs-b mentioned that she used Grande Brow serum on her brows. I ordered the trial size and it worked enough that my natural brows are darker now and I don't need to use any brow pencil. So I ordered the regular size and have continued to use it. I thought I'd mention that, in case you could use something in lieu of pencils, which give you an issue.

Eye liner :), but thank you!!!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I have tattooed-on eyeliner (also eyebrows and lipstick). Not sure how that works with allergies/sensitivities though.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am autoimmune and severely allergic and PMU solved the problems! I never looked back since. So glad I got the courage! I cannot stand anything around my eyes as far as products go. Ok for a special occassion but even so very hard not to smudge it all right up ny tears. There are great serums but I cannot stand those either.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am autoimmune and severely allergic and PMU solved the problems! I never looked back since. So glad I got the courage! I cannot stand anything around my eyes as far as products go. Ok for a special occassion but even so very hard not to smudge it all right up ny tears. There are great serums but I cannot stand those either.

PMU? Permanent makeup? I dont suppose you'd be willing to share photos, would you? And - what color did you get and where did you get it done? I'm interested but nervous/hesitant.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
PMU? Permanent makeup? I dont suppose you'd be willing to share photos, would you? And - what color did you get and where did you get it done? I'm interested but nervous/hesitant.

I don't want to post photos but I've had it done a few times through the years. (If you don't know, it's not really permanent and it fades with time so about every three years). Well, the lip color fades quicker. Then the brows. The eyeliner has stayed the longest.

But I'd ask to come in and look at their portfolio, if it's not online. And if it is online, check other sites and ask to be sure it's really that person's work and not "representative" photos. I'd also be sure to ask if it's photos of the work they've done or "representative." And ask how long they've been doing it. I think being careful with who you work with is everything, really. Oh, I'd also note the person's own face. Sometimes they are way too trendy for my tastes and then you're stuck with at least a shadow of huge, squared off brows, eyeliner wings or whatever. Yikes! Both of the ones I've gone to started with less/lighter and added more the next time if I wanted more.

I've had good luck (two different places) at the high end of town. )I guess only those with more experience and repeat customers can afford the higher stall rent there, IDK). Not a given of course but tends to go that way more than not imo. Both places also had a choice of people, with two price tiers according to their training and experience level. I pick the highest because I'd rather pay a couple hundred more bucks than have a less skilled person.

Eyebrows are the easiest to endure; I barely felt it. Lips are the most sensitive and eyeliner is also more to endure than eyebrows since it's so close to your eyes. So you might want to start with the brows (if you're thinking about getting the whole works). When I've gone, they only do one per session (brows, lips or eyeliner). I wouldn't want more than that anyway because after a couple of hours, I've just had enough for right then.

Then you go back a few weeks later for a touch-up.

I go in a little drugged up on pain meds etc. because it is kind of nerve wracking imo.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm glad you asked because I had no idea what it stood for and you figured it out before I could. No offense to those who do this, but it sounds scary to me. Whenever I get my hair cut, if it isn't exactly what I want, I always say, it's no big deal, hair grows. Not sure I'd have the same response with PMU.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with @fussykiki. If you are allergic to several types of makeup I would be really nervous and hesitant about the possibility you would have a reaction to the dye. A much worse scenario given its long lasting nature.

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
Have you tried vegan brands? I stopped wearing mascara for a long time because of allergies, but I’ve found that I don’t usually react to vegan mascara (or eyeshadow).

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried vegan brands? I stopped wearing mascara for a long time because of allergies, but I’ve found that I don’t usually react to vegan mascara (or eyeshadow).

Will try some! Thank you!!

M

maru8888777

Clinique always gets recommended for people with sensitive skin... I don't use them, but I have allergies to lots of things and vegan mascara has also helped. Bare Minerals eyeshadow I can tolerate. I think you can line your eyes with eyeshadow dampened with a bit of water on a Q tip... sometimes people are sensitive to the bacteria that builds up on brushes.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I would never tattoo my face. Ergo, my response is biased.

If , however, you are considering permanent make up--I would have a medical professional do a test Ink injection elsewhere on your body. Tolerance/reaction level , etc. Safety and risk assessment, first and always.

cheers--Sharon

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Bloody h*ll. I was using a plain brown Lancome, and now that too is causing issues. I've worked my way through all hypoallergenic drug store brands with zero success. Any recommendations? I usually use a soft brown pencil.

You are really going through it right now. I really don't have any ideas on your issues, except to echo Missy, I think, on getting your PTH and calcium, as well as your vitamin D checked for the osteoporosis. I hope things start looking up for you soon!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
You are really going through it right now. I really don't have any ideas on your issues, except to echo Missy, I think, on getting your PTH and calcium, as well as your vitamin D checked for the osteoporosis. I hope things start looking up for you soon!

Thank you. I'm trying to do a deep dive on osteoporosis (a bit late I guess) so I know what to ask. I'll push for more testing once I'm feeling competent

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
When I had my PMU eyeliner and eyebrows done, I was able to do a patch test to verify that I wouldn't have an allergic reaction. The aesthetician dipped a small needle in the pigment she would be using and scratched the skin behind my ears and I monitored for 5 days. That may be something offered if you wish to look in to it.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Begonia -

I use Rumi, which I find excellent and is hypoallergenic.

Here's a link so you can have a look:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
@Begonia -

I use Rumi, which I find excellent and is hypoallergenic.

Here's a link so you can have a look:

Thank you. I'll check it out :)

Lschneids01

Rough_Rock

Hi I’ve become sensitive to all non hypoallergenic makeup now as well when I turn d 40. Especially the eye makeup. Two drug store brands that I buy that are affordable are E.L.F. Who have a great eyebrow pencil and tinted gel and eyeliner pencil. Also Almaty. I bought their mascara , eyeliner, eyeshadow, and eye primer and LOVE! Of course is Physicians Formula as well. I use their CC cream, concealer and bronzer. And setting powder. On a splurge at At Sephora I love Tarte , Tower28, and some others I can’t think of now. I can’t even wear earrings anymore unless they are hypoallergenic backings. So annoying!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Begonia when my mother developed alopecia, along came with it very severe allergies to makeup. In my opinion (which has no merit medically), your issues might also be intertwined

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results