shape
carat
color
clarity

All you single Gals lost out, I''m getting Engaged in 1 months time! Some help on the diamond please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

InterimmRent

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody,

I''m the noob here, but just like many others I''ve been lurkin for the past couple of months trying to read up and study my way into becoming an expert Diamond hunter. Its kinda funny b/c I belong to another forum for called m3forum.com, and didnt realize there was this other community of people out there that like Diamonds as much as I like cars. Anywho, its been nice reading other peoples experience and getting all this knowledge from professionals, noobies, and vendors from a community that really seems to care. I''d invite anyone to look into m3forum.com if you''re into cars, as they are extremely helpful and generous over there as well.

My story (short version): Met my future Wife in the dorms. She hit on me one day before Thanksgiving Break, and it just blossomed from there. We''ve been committed for the past 7.5 yrs, and I thought I''d better get to asking her before we become brother/sister j/k. I know some of you ladies onthis board probably wouldn''t have waited this long, but shes very special and patient
17.gif
. We graduated 3 yrs ago, and she became the best English teacher in the world
34.gif
, and I''m working for a commercial finance company
31.gif
. I''ve decided that its time, and did not want to wait much longer so thats why I''m on here trolling for information and ideas. I''ll have to share my idea with you folks for the engage after I get my diamond. 1 thing at a time.

I have a question regarding dimensions and cut for my diamond. I know that "cut" is the new C for diamonds. It seems all the rage, and the ID scope and HCA are valuable tools in seeing how a diamond will perform. My question is, besides the table being somewhere between 53-60%, the depth around 62%, pavilion angle at 42` and crown at 34.5`, what do I need to know about these numbers of the measurements. Is that just the measurement of the width/height/depth?

2.00 I VS2 61.3% 57% GIA tn-m no vg gd no 8.08x8.13x4.97

What I''m looking for:

2.00 Carat Round Diamond ( size could vary from 1.8 - 2.1 carat) My preference is to stay in the $16k price range
Clarity: VS1 - VS2 ( I know theres been mention of some SI1s that look just as good as some VS, but I don''t want to make the parameters to big.
Color: G-I,
Cut: best I can get

Out of the list of stones that are provide by the PS vendors under diamond search, do you all like the best to start off with? I know I will need to contact some of them to get the Sarin report if possible, but lets say from the stats that you are given on the PS diamond list. Please share your thoughts as they are all welcome and appreciated.

Thanks Yall, I''ll post pics as soon as I get the Diamond mounted.

InterimmRent
35.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to start us off, an overbudget 2.11 H VS2; IS looks great.

let's see, Whiteflash is popular for their huge inventory and awesome custom work.
GOG for people who like gadgets, lots of fancy and branded cuts.
wink jones for colored stones, custom work, eightstar and Infinity

there are lots of other very well regarded vendors! Where are you located? You might want to start with someone local.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OOH Julie NICE FIND! That one looks stunning. Gotta love the J''s.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interim...my fave specs are something like this for ideals:

Table: 54-56
Depth: 60.2-61.2
Crown Angle: 34.4-34.8
Pav Angle: 40.5-40.8
Culet: None
Polish/Symm: EX EX or ID ID
Fluor: None/Slight/Medium (esp if you go lower in color it''s good to find something with a bit of fluor though it''s hard to find!)

Dimensions for a well-cut 2c would be around 8.15mm I think?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2006 6:36:52 PM
Author: Virginia

Date: 4/7/2006 6:09:35 PM
Author: JulieN
Just to start us off, an overbudget 2.11 H VS2; IS looks great.

let''s see, Whiteflash is popular for their huge inventory and awesome custom work.
GOG for people who like gadgets, lots of fancy and branded cuts.
wink jones for colored stones, custom work, eightstar and Infinity

there are lots of other very well regarded vendors! Where are you located? You might want to start with someone local.
Yum, Yum! That 2.11 looks niiiiiiice!
Ditto, love it!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

InterimmRent

Rough_Rock

Wow, you guys are great. The first rock is a bit out of my price range, but it sure looks nice. Julie, the rock that you picked was extremely nice, but I know that budget wise, thats probably more than I want to and should spend at this time.

As for the the other diamond, do you guys think that J is too much color? I''m trying to get it as white as possible (within range for size). It looks good on the sarin report, but I''m afraid that it may look a bit yellowish..

Also, if I dont reply back right away everyone, its not because I''m trolling, the future fiance may be around.

Thanks

Interim

21.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's a whole thread on J stones in Platinum/WG. I used to doubt how white a well cut J could really be until a saw a pair of AGS000 earrings that were J's and just gorgeous and white. Everyone's eyes are different though and I don't want to mislead you that it's as white as a D. Most of the J owners say they see warmth at times from the side but certainly not any yellow. WF has a return period so you can always have a look and return it if it's too warm for you.

InterimmRent

Rough_Rock
Mara,

Thanks for the dimensions. This should help me better evaluate off someone else''s idea of proportion......

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m a total ''J Believer'' having been converted. Used to own a G then an H and now a J...it''s a great way to get the size and cut quality you want without compromising much IMO...honestly I don''t see much color and I think if you are already considering an I then a J won''t be a stretch mentally..and you probably wouldn''t see much if any color diff between the two. Excellent cut can mask body color. I''d at least check into it and yes check out the J stones in platinum thread.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd definitely give the J a chance; regarding cut, it's "ideal." (Super ideal? Super-de-dooper ideal?
40.gif
) It's actually bigger than the 2.11 H. 16 K is a lot, though, so I'd buy it, have it shipped, and use the 10-day return. You'll be out shipping, but it may be worth it for peace of mind. Or after looking through the (many) Js on PS and seeing how white they are, and calling WF to ask if it looks white, you could be a J convert!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about this guy:

grades: H/SI1 (GIA)
weight: 2.01
size: 8.16 - 8.19mm

table: 54
depth: 61
crown: 35
pavilion: 40.4
HCA: 0.6 (TIC): Ex-Ex-Ex-Vg

link to GIA report

Not all GIA lab reports are of the 'new kind' including info about proportion, but this one does and the higher color grade sounds tempting for a larger rock. There are good reasons to take a look at J color in person, but not on a computer screen - such subtle shades are mostly lost in a picture, especially when the brightness of the stones gets in the way (something that works anywhere, of course, only humans get to see more detail in lower light than the camera does)
38.gif

As usual, this one appears on the lists of several sellers, around $16500. Take your pic.
28.gif

Speaking of Js...

I am intriguides by this guy:

2.33cts, GIA J/VS2. LINK to lab report Too bad there isn't more said about it.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have much to add about the diamonds ... I will leave that up to people who know way more than me!

But I wanted to add that you and your GF have a very similar story to me and my BF!

We also met while living in the same dorm, have been together 7.5 years, and I am an English teacher (he''s an engineer, however, not in finance)!!! If I didn''t know better, I might be suspicious! LOL!

Good Luck with the diamond seach and the proposal!!!

pwings

Rough_Rock
I think a 2K G VS2 is going to run over 20k.

InterimmRent

Rough_Rock
Bump!

Hi guys, I''m back and able to get some time to do some additional research here as the GF is still sleeping. Thanks again for all the suggestions, I will have to look into the J''s, but I''m afraid I''m still a bit confused when it comes to the SI1s and J color.

fatafelice,
35.gif
you had better not be my girlfriend.......

As for staying withing the price range I''ve set up for myself. Under the PS stone search, there looks to be many stones under my parameters of VS1-VS2, Color G-I, and Carat Weight 2.0 or bigger. Are they all crap? when it comes to prices around the 16k mark, or maybe some of them just do not provide enough information?

What about this one? http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=29445064&flag=ps

or this one http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=9430076

Interim
33.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
those are going to be 'virtual' stones meaning that someone owns them and a bunch of vendors have access to them. honestly i don't bother much with those because the cut is more likely to be hit or miss than with an in-house stone. sure you may pay more for an in-house stone but i'd rather not spend $40 calling in stone after stone from a virtual selection and just shop with pre-approved kind of stones from a trustworthy vendor.

also if the certs are EGL vs GIA or AGS....EGL stones are always cheaper, significantly sometimes, because the lab is not that reputable. you may be able to find a good EGL stone but again, paying the call-in fee can get tiring and eat into your budget. if you already know you want a diamond of EXCELLENT quality for cut then i would not bother with virtuals.

but yes a G VS in 2c would be $20k+ for an in-house GIA or AGS certified diamond. EGL will be cheaper but virtually i wouldn't consider them for an e-ring. you could find a good virtual stone, they ARE out there, but i guess i'm just too lazy to be searching through a vast inventory of stones to try to find one that may be good when i know that there are multiple vendors on here that stock their own diamonds in-house with an excellent cut quality. it's like someone pre-shopped for me.

my thoughts!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interrim, I found two more for you.

1.79 H VS1 16,366 Megascope numbers don't look too good on this (2.1 HCA), but on the GIA cert they're ok...maybe the MS machine needs calibration, also slighty thk girdle.

1.81 I VS2 14,161 I'd go for this one out of the two. 1 TIC using MScope numbers, 1.1 using AGS cert

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results