shape
carat
color
clarity

All this talk about CUTs is getting to me

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lulubboy

Rough_Rock
Hey guys and gals .. almost everybody say cut is SOOO important.

However, it is easy to find numbers on ideal cut for rounds BUt not princess cuts.

I understand that AGS showed some report showing what they thought but I even called GIS about it.

They told me there WAS no ideal cut for princess cuts.

The just said.. judge it with the unaided eye. The best diamond will look the best. They told me there was no ideal numbers AT ALL for princess cuts.

Anybody have insight into this??

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you called ''gis'' ?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Ask Paul about the new AGS cut grading system from Princess cut diamonds. Also you may want to search for Uzekia becuase he bought one and posted the images in his threads...they are stunning.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s the link to u''s princess stone

lulubboy

Rough_Rock
my bad .. GIA.

but yeah. well actually I have been working with a gemologist in town and had him call GIA cause thats where he got certified.

He told me there is NO absolute study on idela cuts for princess diamonds from GIA. He then asked what he should look for if he was to buy one. The lady told him the 4 Cs to go by but for cut..

there is no ideal numbers from GIA... she said the BEST bet to go by for a princess is from your unaided eye... what has more sparkle, brilliance, fire and all that sutff. She said ideal cuts really go by preferece for the princess

Thats what he got out of GIA when he called in..

What does everybody else think???

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is an ideal cut for Princess. The new AGS 0. I have personally seen them.

GIA would not, of course, acknowledge anything that AGS does. So why would you ask GIA?

Wink Jones has some of them listed on his site (and I saw them when I visited Wink''s).

Good Old Gold also has a selection of hand selelected stones that are also phenominal (sorts from thousands of princess stones to get the same overall effect). Several other vendors might do the same (I would trust NiceIce, but am doubtfull that Todd has any in stock at the moment given what he has gone through with the death of Robin - he still runs the store, but not like before).

Perry

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
lulu... if you can get the details on these 4 sets of angles (colored in red and blue) with table and total depth measurements we can give you an idea where this stone may fall with regards to performance. A 3d model however would be more preferred.

princessangles2.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/30/2005 11:13:00 AM
Author: lulubboy
but yeah. well actually I have been working with a gemologist in town and had him call GIA cause thats where he got certified.

He told me there is NO absolute study on idela cuts for princess diamonds from GIA. He then asked what he should look for if he was to buy one. The lady told him the 4 Cs to go by but for cut..

there is no ideal numbers from GIA... she said the BEST bet to go by for a princess is from your unaided eye... what has more sparkle, brilliance, fire and all that sutff. She said ideal cuts really go by preferece for the princess

Thats what he got out of GIA when he called in..
If he has asked GIA the same question about rounds, they would have told probably told him the same. With the exception that they hope to have a system by next year.

Live long,

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

GIA certifies nothing and no one. They operate a college from which, presumably, this gemologist graduated but they are not a certifying agency. I understand that this seems like spliting hairs and perhaps it is but misunderstandings about what GIA does and does not do is the cause of quite a bit of confusion.

... there is NO absolute study ...
Very true. AGS will grade stones that they will call ideal but they would never make a claim that their scale is absolute.

... she said the BEST bet to go by for a princess is from your unaided eye... what has more sparkle, brilliance, fire and all that sutff. She said ideal cuts really go by preferece for the princess
This is good advice for all stones, not just for princesses. Not everyone likes the same thing. That said, there are tools that can make it easier to see certain characteristics that you may be looking for. Sometimes ''all that stuff'' tends to merge together and it''s difficult to separate out a single attribute that you do or don''t care for. This is where the tools come in handy. A good idealscope view doesn''t mean that it''s going to be a great stone in all circumstances but it does tell you something about the light behavior in it''s own specialized circumstance. It''s not the whole story but it *IS* useful, especially if you aren''t in a situation where you can easily examine the stone yourself. The same thing is true of the Sarin 3d models, BrillianceScope reports and all of the other various gizmos that we play with. They all serve as clues and pieces of the puzzle but the best way to make the final decision is from your unaided eye.

It''s also worth noting that when you examine a stone with your unaided eye, the lighting environment makes a big difference. It''s difficult to compare two stones in two different stores because of this. The store with the best lights always wins, even if they don''t have the best diamonds.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results