shape
carat
color
clarity

Alien or Underwater Opal?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted the other week about buying a really unusual opal and it arrived today and it's safe to say that it's blown my socks off! I am absolutely in love with it!

It's 3.65ct and on the small side at 12 x 9 but I will be putting it in a ring setting - just no idea the style at the moment!

The seller is on Instagram and also Etsy and his name is OpalosTamayomx and I can't recommend him highly enough. As you can see from the video, his video (the first bit) is exactly like videos I've taken - although the clarity of his video is better! This little beauty is full of fire and NEVER looks dead. In real life the colours are much more pronounced so the stone always looks pretty.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I saw this in the other thread.
I can't wait to see what you do do with it!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I saw this in the other thread.
I can't wait to see what you do do with it!

I have absolutely no idea how to set this if I'm honest! I want something unique and different.

The only idea I had was to set it in a bezel setting sit on top of an oval disk of metal to act like a mirror - hope that makes sense. However I think I may have to make it because I can't find anything like the picture in my head!!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have absolutely no idea how to set this if I'm honest! I want something unique and different.

The only idea I had was to set it in a bezel setting sit on top of an oval disk of metal to act like a mirror - hope that makes sense. However I think I may have to make it because I can't find anything like the picture in my head!!!

This opal is amazing!
If you place it on a shiny piece of metal, you will get a good idea if what that will look like.
It might enhance the colors.
I think yellow gold would be nice.....!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'd call it an underwater opal, those pipe inclusions look like deep ocean hydrothermal vents. Do you know what type of inclusions they are? As for styling I would be tempted to keep it simple for focus. I love this opal and I can't wait to see what you do :love:

unnamed (1).jpg

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
It's a beauty! Coral reef with flashy coloured fish, I say.

I'm seeing a simple yellow gold bezel, to suggest looking at the reef through the window of a submersible.

On the reflective back, are you thinking matte or polished? I had a tsavorite cab set in a bezel with a polished back to brighten it. The brightening works well, but the specular reflections can sometimes be distracting.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that yellow gold would be good but I’ve ordered everything in sterling silver to make the ring but I can always gold plate it. There will be a flat oval disc sitting on top of the ring and then the Opal will be bezel set sitting on top of that. That’s in my head but it may not look good so I’ll play with the parts first!

Thank you for your kind words.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results