shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite: Natural or Synthetic ... You Deide!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DUTCHSWAN0311

Rough_Rock
Well, where to begin? It all started when I was trying to find out my wife's ring size for a new 1.04t/I/VS2/H&A solitaire that I am buying to replace her wedding ring to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. While digging through the jewelry box, I found 2 Alexandrite stones (loose) that my wife's grandmother gave to us the first time we visited her family in Volgograd, Russia (my wife is Russian). Now, I understand in advance that natural mined Alexandrite is very rare and in most cases more valuable than diamonds of the same carat size ($10k - $15k per carat), and that most Alexandrite is synthetic or simulated.

But...here is the story: My wife's grandmother spent the 1960s working in the Soviet Republic of Kazakhstan. According to her, she obtained the two stones while she was there, and then brought them to Volgograd, Russia where she (and the rest of my wife's family reside today). Now, the Tokovaya Mines where most Russian Alexandrite was mined is located very near the northern border of Kazakhstan. Granted I don't know WHERE in Kazakhstan my wife's grandmother lived decades ago, and Kazakhstan is a VERY large country. When we visited Volgograd in 1999 during our 1st Wedding Anniversary, her Grandmother gave us the stones as a present.

Below are pictures of the stones under an incandescent light source. Tomorrow I will update this post with pictures of the stones under natural sunlight. If memory serves, there is a dramatic color change from turquoise/light green to pinkish/violet. I suppose I should have a gemologist take a quick look at them under a loupe to see if they have any of the tell tale signs of being synthetic...but until then I thought it might be fun and interesting to get everyone's take based on the pictures below. Have at it!

Note: I could not find the memory chip for my camera, so the first images below are from a scan. I will picture them under sunlight when I am able to take pictures of them. Now that I see the up-close scans...it seems there is some chipping...I don't know if that means anything, but it is an observation (50 years of travels?).

alexandritescan.jpg

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Are the pics 2 different stones, or the same one? The cut looks identical, which makes me think probably synthetic. How big are the stones?

DUTCHSWAN0311

Rough_Rock
They are two different stones...probably about a carat each ... or at least comparable in size to a 1 carat diamond. I do not know if a 1 carat Alexandrite is larger or smaller than a 1 carat diamond...I suspect smaller.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Russian Lab Alex, see my avatar and mine dosent turn this color, mine goes from dark blue green in the daylight to a rich royal purple in regular house lighting and a cross between purple and blue green in office lighting...but from what I have read they can change to different colors depending on the stone. PS I love mine
30.gif

DUTCHSWAN0311

Rough_Rock
Okay, here are some new pictures (or should I say High Definition video stills since I still cant find the memory card for my camera :| I included a dime as a reference point for size. I remember the stones being a turquoise color under direct sunlight. Today is overcast, and so the second picture is under natural lighting conditions, but with no sun. The color change seemed more dramatic in person...these pictures never seem to quite reflect real life.

alexandrite03.JPG

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I see the star of David in that first stone. Kewl!

My moms Alexs don''t go to that violet of shade. Guess hers are the synthetics? Drats...I thought I would be worth a fortune at some point. Your little experiment has wilted me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results