shape
carat
color
clarity

Alexandrite ebay purchase. Advise on this gem pls!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there I am almost completely clueless on Alexandrite but am aware that its rare and expensive. Really love the color change. I saw a few pieces of AIGS certified alexandrite on ebay here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/1-30ct-CERTIFIED-ALEXANDRITE-STRIKING-COLOR-CHANGE-AAA_W0QQitemZ320417513253QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9a5f3f25&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_2273wt_1003 Do you think that its a good, worhty buy? can someone kindly advise pls:) tks

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
in the video it doesn''t seem if the stone has much color and the VVS rating might be a little to generous but you can only tell so much from a picture..if you like color change calso check out some of the CC garnets..without the name "alexandrite" tacked on they seem to be priced a little better

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tks for the reply! Do you know of any online vendor that sell color change stones that are value for money:)

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
you will have to let the ladies answer this one..they can steer you in the right direction

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Always check return policies and money-back guarantees for stones bought anywhere, so that you''re safe if it doesen''t turn out to be what you thought. Even certificates can be falsified, so you can never be too safe, especially if things sound too good to be true.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the body color is anything to rave about, it's moderately included and the color change is so-so. The fact of the matter is that more people think alexandrite is such a valuable stone, that any stone, even those with poor color change, and inclusions, will sell for high prices. This is no longer true, and it is very difficult to resell alexandrite on the market except for exceptional stones with excellent color change, great clarity, and good body color. Most average alexandrite is ugly, and that's a fact that many can't deny. BTW, a stone is only as valuable as someone will be willing to pay for it, regardless of an appraised value.

Here's one with a similar size, color and clarity to yours, for less $$$. Therefore, don't be fooled by the fact that just because this stone is alexandrite, it should be worth a king's ransom.

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/single/alexandrite/yax573ad/&1244716636

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
well put TL!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/18/2009 4:30:15 AM
Author:chictomato
Hi there I am almost completely clueless on Alexandrite but am aware that its rare and expensive. Really love the color change. I saw a few pieces of AIGS certified alexandrite on ebay here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/1-30ct-CERTIFIED-ALEXANDRITE-STRIKING-COLOR-CHANGE-AAA_W0QQitemZ320417513253QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9a5f3f25&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_2273wt_1003 Do you think that its a good, worhty buy? can someone kindly advise pls:) tks
The colour change is definitely not attractive and the clarity is quite bad. TL has stated an opinion that I wholeheartedly agree with. Just like all gemstones, there are various qualities of Alexandrites. Nice ones will cost a King’s ransom but there are also a lot of unattractive ones that are hardly worth anything.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alexandrite with a colour that changes from muddy/olive green to orange/brown are very cheap and, I''m afraid, not sought after. The best Alexandrites change to a purple/pink (almost amethyst colour). If you search on my name you''ll see my collection and hopefully that''ll give you a good idea of what a good colour change should look like.

In terms of colour change sapphires and colour change garnets, you can pick these up fairly easily BUT the good ones, with a definite colour shift (i.e. there is a distinct difference between the daytime and evening colour) are much more expensive. Those that simply shift in colour and go darker or lighter or to a very similar colour are readily available and shouldn''t be expensive.

Can you tell I love colour change gemstones?
31.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone thanks for the reply! I am getting to understand a little more:) Lovingdiamonds I would love to view your collection! Can you send me a link pls?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Hi Chictomato! This may or may not be anything like what you're looking for...but I just bought a natural alexandrite ring from Heart of Water Jewels on Etsy.com. The stone I got actually came in a lot of 3, and she made another similar ring with one of the remaining 2 alexandrites. It's only 4 mm and 0.3 ct, but the color change is beautiful, and it's visible even in that small size. It would be a relatively inexpensive way to get a nice quality of natural alexandrite. The listing is here if you're interested.

Of course there are plenty of other alexandrite suppliers out there (multicolour.com is a well known one), but I just wanted to mention one that you may not have come across yet.

ETA: The stone in that ring, my stone, and pictures of LD's collection are all here in this thread.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wow that''s nice! Wish I can have one too:razz:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2009 11:13:25 AM
Author: chictomato
Wow that''s nice! Wish I can have one too:razz:

If you''re referring to mine, you can - it''s in the Etsy link I posted for $475. You''d just have to check on the ring sizing, but Sally is very nice and won''t mind answering any questions.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Chictomato I checked out a French website and they have calibrated pear Indian Alex''s 5mm x 4mm for around $1200 USD each. Pretty nice colour change too. I can''t vouch for them though as I haven''t bought from them before.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 4:41:31 AM
Author: amethystguy
in the video it doesn''t seem if the stone has much color and the VVS rating might be a little to generous but you can only tell so much from a picture..if you like color change calso check out some of the CC garnets..without the name ''alexandrite'' tacked on they seem to be priced a little better
I think it is very good advice to look at some of the color-change garnets that have come on the market recently. These are from a new find in Kenya or Tanzania, and have quite a dramatic color change. You can also find them in larger sizes than alexandrite, and at a much more affordable price (though still not cheap for the better stones). When gems like this come on the market you never know how long the supply will last, so you have to be opportunist ...

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 5:11:42 AM
Author: ma re
Always check return policies and money-back guarantees for stones bought anywhere, so that you''re safe if it doesen''t turn out to be what you thought. Even certificates can be falsified, so you can never be too safe, especially if things sound too good to be true.
I think in the case of the AIGS certificates (and probably other well-known labs as well), you can verify a cert on the lab''s website. This effectively precludes falsified certificates. If a vendor would falsify a certificate, would you really trust his "money-back guarantee"? In my experience you can generally trust a dealer who provides certificates from a recognized gemologica lab.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you everyone for the valuable input:) I have now zoom into bi or tri or color change Sapphire. Alexandrite is too costly for me:) I like Sapphire for its toughness and wearability too. Saw a couple from Mastercut gems. Please keep me update should you come across any pretty ones! thanks on advance. I am looking to set it into a halo ring setting, working on a budget around $300 only:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results