shape
carat
color
clarity

Akoya pearls

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I had a longing to buy a nice Akoya necklace.I saw a very nice +++A 18ct gold 17 inch necklace for sale on an auction site.They looked creamy-pink & blemish free so I bought them. They are very pretty but now I'm lusting after Mikimoto quality akoya pearls. It's that mirror lustre that I'm after. Is there anywhere else that sauces the same or similar quality pearls & offers them at a slightly more affordable price?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'd try the top grade pearls from the pearl vendors recommended on here. After all, "Mikimoto" in itself is a brand name that's put a ton of money into advertising, not necessarily a pearl quality that other companies can't also offer.

In the same way, "hanadama" is a certification that costs extra money to get, so it doesn't necessarily mean pearls that have not been certified as "hanadama" aren't as high quality (and at a lower price).

You might get the same quality for far less money if you stick with trusted vendors with good return policies, get the top in-house graded pearls they offer, then let your eyes be the judge. Good luck with it!

ETA: I'm looking at pearls again recently because I want to upgrade my short white strand. I wear my Tahitians far more often anyway so don't want to spend too much on the white pearls, and also don't want small pearls, so that puts akoya out of the running for me. I am looking at Pearl Paradise white freshadamas in the largest size offered, 10-10.5mm. Of course they won't have as sharp luster as akoyas but will still be lustrous, plus much larger and more affordable. High quality akoyas are definitely gorgeous, though!

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Another idea for cost savings would be to get earrings and/or a bracelet instead of a full strand.

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I made a post on another thread yesterday that I think might be useful here as general information... I'll post the useful bits...

As trade, I cannot recommend or give preference to any vendors over others. But here is some general guidance for shopping

A few short notes:

1. Most importantly, there is no standardized grading for pearls. None. Any vendor can call whatever they want A, AA, AAAAAA++++++omg

2. When you shop akoya pearls, you will see many labeled as Hanadama certified. Hanadama is a designation given by the Pearl Science Laboratory in Japan, and it's important to remember that Hanadama is still a range. Hanadama certifies that a pearl has met a minimum quality, but it does not mean that all hanadama type pearls will be equal. There are plenty of pearls without any certificate at all that may look nicer than a hanadama certified pearl. Let's say there was some "sports car" designation, and that a car must have a top speed of at least 100mph to be a "sports car." A car that could top at 110 and one that could be 135 would both be "sports car," but one is still faster. This is a rough analogy but similar to how Hanadama works. It's a minimum.

3. Gem grade is a moniker you might find when shopping, and it is generally used to be the best of the best (or, at least, full disclaimer, that's how I tend to use it). But again, each vendor or seller or supplier will have a different criteria for what they consider gem grade.

Summary: True top Akoya will be expensive no matter how you slice it especially in 8mm and larger sizes, where Akoya pearls experience a price jump due to rarity of size. The best and only way to easily know top quality pearls for yourself is to see lots of pearls. The best way to buy top quality pearls is ask for photos from a trusted vendor. You should be able to see the quality demonstrated to you, and be sure that the photos you receive will be the actual pearls you get, or that it is at least stated so if not the case.

If you're wanting top Mikimoto type quality, they will have to be found specially selected for you - it's not something that any vendor can or tends to stock because of its very low availability and premium prices over other "still very excellent" akoya. Many vendors can probably find this for you, but you'll have to be specific in your requests and find a vendor who is willing to take the time to source something like this.

Good luck on your pearl search! -- Akoya have been pretty prevalent in the pearl section here the last couple of days and there are some great posts around with information and photos. Take a read through the first page of the section (at least, first page at the moment!)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My beer money earnings do not stretch to top grade Akoyas, and to be entirely honest, even if I had that kind of money to spare, I would still prefer to get top grade CFWPs instead, like Freshadamas and similar gem grade ones from the likes of POJ and TPO.

Metallic Freshadamas are like hen's teeth, however, they do exist, just need to be patient. It is worth contacting PP and ask them to add you to their shopping/waiting list for them.

I had a double strand of 8-9mm Freshadamas and they were gorgeous. Now sold, as they were bought for a specific event (the funeral of my late partner) and it would upset me to wear them again.

I have a double strand of smaller 7-8mm metallic Freshadamas, and they are very shiny to me. However, I seldom wear them as dressy events are far and between for me nowadays.

If I were in the market for top quality Akoyas, then I would opt for natural blue ones.

Personal opinion, preferences and all that.

DK :))

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
I made a post on another thread yesterday that I think might be useful here as general information... I'll post the useful bits...

As trade, I cannot recommend or give preference to any vendors over others. But here is some general guidance for shopping

A few short notes:

1. Most importantly, there is no standardized grading for pearls. None. Any vendor can call whatever they want A, AA, AAAAAA++++++omg

2. When you shop akoya pearls, you will see many labeled as Hanadama certified. Hanadama is a designation given by the Pearl Science Laboratory in Japan, and it's important to remember that Hanadama is still a range. Hanadama certifies that a pearl has met a minimum quality, but it does not mean that all hanadama type pearls will be equal. There are plenty of pearls without any certificate at all that may look nicer than a hanadama certified pearl. Let's say there was some "sports car" designation, and that a car must have a top speed of at least 100mph to be a "sports car." A car that could top at 110 and one that could be 135 would both be "sports car," but one is still faster. This is a rough analogy but similar to how Hanadama works. It's a minimum.

3. Gem grade is a moniker you might find when shopping, and it is generally used to be the best of the best (or, at least, full disclaimer, that's how I tend to use it). But again, each vendor or seller or supplier will have a different criteria for what they consider gem grade.

Summary: True top Akoya will be expensive no matter how you slice it especially in 8mm and larger sizes, where Akoya pearls experience a price jump due to rarity of size. The best and only way to easily know top quality pearls for yourself is to see lots of pearls. The best way to buy top quality pearls is ask for photos from a trusted vendor. You should be able to see the quality demonstrated to you, and be sure that the photos you receive will be the actual pearls you get, or that it is at least stated so if not the case.

If you're wanting top Mikimoto type quality, they will have to be found specially selected for you - it's not something that any vendor can or tends to stock because of its very low availability and premium prices over other "still very excellent" akoya. Many vendors can probably find this for you, but you'll have to be specific in your requests and find a vendor who is willing to take the time to source something like this.

Good luck on your pearl search! -- Akoya have been pretty prevalent in the pearl section here the last couple of days and there are some great posts around with information and photos. Take a read through the first page of the section (at least, first page at the moment!)

Thank you for your detailed & helpful reply=)2

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
My beer money earnings do not stretch to top grade Akoyas, and to be entirely honest, even if I had that kind of money to spare, I would still prefer to get top grade CFWPs instead, like Freshadamas and similar gem grade ones from the likes of POJ and TPO.

Metallic Freshadamas are like hen's teeth, however, they do exist, just need to be patient. It is worth contacting PP and ask them to add you to their shopping/waiting list for them.

I had a double strand of 8-9mm Freshadamas and they were gorgeous. Now sold, as they were bought for a specific event (the funeral of my late partner) and it would upset me to wear them again.

I have a double strand of smaller 7-8mm metallic Freshadamas, and they are very shiny to me. However, I seldom wear them as dressy events are far and between for me nowadays.

If I were in the market for top quality Akoyas, then I would opt for natural blue ones.

Personal opinion, preferences and all that.

I don't suppose you have any pics of your metallic Freshadamas? I would love to see them=)2

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't suppose you have any pics of your metallic Freshadamas? I would love to see them=)2

Here you go.

It was strung so that the clasp is worn in the front to one side.

Some additional pearls had to be added, and one with discerning eyes can spot them (I can).

However it was a rush job that was done while I was at PP. I aim to rectify this when I go there next, probably in 2023!

20201118_135302.jpg

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Andrew gives some great information.

Top Miki pearls are the best Akoya you will find. It's possible to come close and those pearls will cost a lot less as Miki is a huge company with massive overhead . But, they buy the best of the best for their top pearls.

I know that Hanadama has been criticised a bit here are not representing ' the best' . But you have to remember that while there is a range of pearls that fall within the Hanadama grade it is , at least, a guarantee of very good quality even at the lower end. The minimum standard is still high.

Freshwater, non bead nucleated, my advice is to know what attributes are important to you. If round is important then you need to make that very clear and ask for photos. Also ask for close ups of the pearls so you can see the surface. It should be very fine and have a clear clean sharp edge on the reflected halo of light.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Top Miki pearls are the best Akoya you will find.

This.
Mikimoto represents more than just marketing.
Other vendors may match Mikimoto's top quality, but they set the top of the standard and noone else is ever going to do better than that top.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here you go.

It was strung so that the clasp is worn in the front to one side.

Some additional pearls had to be added, and one with discerning eyes can spot them (I can).

However it was a rush job that was done while I was at PP. I aim to rectify this when I go there next, probably in 2023!

20201118_135302.jpg

Major pearl swoon :appl: :appl: :appl:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree to be patient. White metallic bead nucleated freshwaters in smaller sizes are starting to appear. I wouldn't buy this strand from Kong's because of the blemishes, but I am sure that in the near future we will see even better versions of this type of strand.

il_794xN.2680336186_j7ci.jpg

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Bead nucleated freshwater pearls have definitely become more prevalent.

I just wanted to leave a general note here - when buying pearls at all, be cautious of descriptions like "freshwater Akoya pearls" - I'm assuming this refers to bead nucleated freshwater, but there's no such thing as a "freshwater Akoya pearl." - if it's a case of a hybrid culture technique, it should be said as such, or if it's a bead nucleated freshwater pearl, should also be disclosed as such.

Point being, just be sure to know what you're buying :)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bead nucleated freshwater pearls have definitely become more prevalent.

I just wanted to leave a general note here - when buying pearls at all, be cautious of descriptions like "freshwater Akoya pearls" - I'm assuming this refers to bead nucleated freshwater, but there's no such thing as a "freshwater Akoya pearl." - if it's a case of a hybrid culture technique, it should be said as such, or if it's a bead nucleated freshwater pearl, should also be disclosed as such.

Point being, just be sure to know what you're buying :)

I am not sure if we will know exactly what we are buying with the new bead nucleated freshwaters as it seems there is some secrecy involved. Last year I bought beautiful dark purple, not dyed, bead nucleated freshwater strands. A color that is usually considered rare in FW pearls. I also bought strands with purples that tend to green, bronze and chocolate. I suspected a different type of mussel was used to create these pearls but have no evidence to support my suspicions. I smashed some of these pearls to see the nacre and it was very thick.

Now I see that these type of strands are coming out as "new harvest" Edisons, as well as strands with the claim of "freshwater akoya" that are "not Edison" pearls. For the beauty and the amazing prices I am okay with not knowing exactly what type of FW bead nucleated strand I am buying. The nacre is thick, the luster is strong, the blemishes few and the colors are gorgeous.

Photo taken with Iphone- no editing except to resize.

IMG_7032.jpg

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
For the beauty and the amazing prices I am okay with not knowing exactly what type of FW bead nucleated strand I am buying. The nacre is thick, the luster is strong, the blemishes few and the colors are gorgeous.

And that's definitely completely fine! -- and in being OK with not knowing exactly what it was is still being aware of what you're buying, or at least content without knowing exactly a pearl type :)

so long as one has pearls that bring enjoyment in wearing is the ultimate goal

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not sure if we will know exactly what we are buying with the new bead nucleated freshwaters as it seems there is some secrecy involved. Last year I bought beautiful dark purple, not dyed, bead nucleated freshwater strands. A color that is usually considered rare in FW pearls. I also bought strands with purples that tend to green, bronze and chocolate. I suspected a different type of mussel was used to create these pearls but have no evidence to support my suspicions. I smashed some of these pearls to see the nacre and it was very thick.

Now I see that these type of strands are coming out as "new harvest" Edisons, as well as strands with the claim of "freshwater akoya" that are "not Edison" pearls. For the beauty and the amazing prices I am okay with not knowing exactly what type of FW bead nucleated strand I am buying. The nacre is thick, the luster is strong, the blemishes few and the colors are gorgeous.

Photo taken with Iphone- no editing except to resize.

IMG_7032.jpg

Wow !
they look amazing :appl:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Freshwater pearls are freshwater pearls and akoya pearls are sea water pearls. Edison pearls are heavily processed post-harvest. Colour and lustre fade have happened

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results