shape
carat
color
clarity

Airline fee predictions, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
So as a frequent traveler (mostly for business these days
39.gif
), these airline fees definitely get my attention.

Since I first posted that second check in bag fee, there are now fees for the first checked bag, pillows and blankets, and soda/water.

Anyone wanna make a guess as to what they are going to charge for next?

I'm thinking if you want an aisle or window seat, you will have to pay for those. Just a matter of time before they charge for carry on OR make the carry on limit much smaller (thereby forcing people to check bags). I also think there will charge a fee to hold an infant in your lap.

And if things keep going this way, you will have to pay for the oxygen masks should there ever be an emergency.
20.gif

So, question: Would you rather airlines seriously hike up the fares (and possibly make flying out of the question for some) or is the nickel and diming preferrable?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
FYI Some airlines (I believe Spirit) charge $2 for window or isle seat.

For the question, I think hike up the fares to be honest. I can deal with the five minute rant of how expensive the flight is than the 3 to 5 hour annoyance that I had to pay $4.50 for my soda or the $7 (with a $2 off coupon to BB&B woo hoo
20.gif
) for a pillow and blanket (which I always need because I'm always freezing)

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the nickel and diming, personally.

They offer me soda, and I only drink it because it''s there. I don''t need it, and if they charged me, I''d save myself a lot of calories.

Plus pillows and blankets and such are another thing that I generally only use because they''re available, and I''d be fine without them.

Nickel and diming keeps flying cheaper if you just want to get from point A to point B. If you want "luxury" you can pay for the extras. That way everyones happy.

Unless, of course, you forget to bring cash on the plane.
20.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''d kind of like a balance between the two. As in: don''t make me pay for my luggage (I wouldn''t be flying if I was only going to be gone for a few hours), but go ahead and charge for drinks, headphones, etc. But then, I pack a pillow and always bring something warm to wear for on the plane. And make it easier to charge my card for that...finding an ATM in the rush to get to the airport isn''t always easy, and I don''t want to have to pay another $2.50 in ATM fees because I forgot to get a bottle of water at the airport store!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I second your thoughts that they will start charging for a pillow and blanket...

...and keep the cabin temperature at a nice 45 degrees
11.gif

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Airtran charges extra if you want to reserve a specific seat ahead of time and even more to reserve an exit row seat. Honestly, I think the charges for luggage are over the top - if you''re flying you''re pretty much guaranteed to be bringing some kind of luggage with you, and with all the security restrictions these days it''s a lot easier to just check my shampoo. The fees for items such as food and drink don''t sit that well with me either, but at least I can rationalize that they aren''t necessary for travel, like your luggage is.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto Krispi.

I never really cared about the drink thing anyway-I thought it was ridiculous that they would serve drinks on a 45 minute flight anyway. However, I''m pissy that they got rid of the meals for long flights. I was on a flight over lunch time, 3 hours long, and got a bag of peanuts. WTH is that? I would have been willing to pay for some kind of meal, but it wasn''t even an option!

So I say, add the price of the luggage into the tickets, and leave the rest for the customer to decide.

Blankets and pillows cost $7 dollars already, and apparently you can take them home-but why would you want to?!

What if they made you pay for each time to use the restroom?!

Or tack on an oxygen fee? You breathe this much oxygen, and we have to charge you for it.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I''m okay with some of the fees, and not okay with others.

First checked bag: no way. I rarely check a bag, but sometimes it''s just necessary, and some people are completely ridiculous with carry-ons. Everyone should be allowed to check one bag.

Second checked bag: charge away. I''ve traveled quite a bit and the only time I ever needed a second checked bag was when I spent a year overseas (even then, I probably could have gotten away with one). Most people could use only a carry-on and one checked bag if they packed more judiciously. I see no problem with people paying their way for extra luggage.

Blankets/pillows: they''ve been gradually disappearing for years, I don''t remember the last time I was on a domestic flight with enough for all passengers. I always travel with a little blanket/pillow combo I got a few years ago, which doesn''t take up much space in my bag and feels a little more sanitary to me. So although I think it''s kind of mean to charge for them, the fee wouldn''t really affect me, personally.

Window/aisle seats: I guess, if it''s only applied when people request them. They usually constitute 2/3 of the seats on regular domestic flights, though, so if I''m just assigned to one when I check in, I''d better not be forced to pay extra for it.

Drinks: IMO, they can charge all they want for soda, juice, hot beverages and alcoholic beverages but plain old water really needs to be free. It seems inhumane to trap people on a flight for an extended time and not offer water, plus it can be a health issue if you don''t keep hydrated in the dry, pressurized cabin air. Most people are dehydrated on a regular basis anyway, and either won''t think to buy water before boarding or will wrongly assume they can get away without it. I have a feeling airlines will end up running into serious issues if they make everyone pay for water.

I don''t know if they''ll start charging fees for carry-ons, but I wouldn''t be surprised if they make the size allowance smaller and start enforcing it more vigorously.

I also wonder if they''ll ever get away with charging passengers by weight. I''m sure they''d love to, but I can''t imagine it would pass muster legally. But I do believe they have their in-house counsels toiling away looking for loopholes on this!

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
I really hate this whole airline price issue.
38.gif
39.gif

As someone who is a perpetually broke student with so many expenses I can't even name them all, I want to get from point A to point B without having to empty my entire bank account. In fact, I HAVE to get from point A to point B, no questions, and I want even less to have to max out my card to get there. I have to move next year. I have to go to grad school across the country. I have to bring luggage with me. Just thinking about it makes my head hurt.

I don't want soda, or blankets, or their crappy headphones. If they raise prices for everything, I will be in huge trouble! I pick nickel and dime.
2.gif

On the bright side FI bought an airline ticket last night with two vouchers we got when Delta made our lives hell last Spring and it was absolutely free!
36.gif
Except for the outrageous checking fees. Ugh.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 1:09:51 PM
Author:TravelingGal

I''m thinking if you want an aisle or window seat, you will have to pay for those. Just a matter of time before they charge for carry on OR make the carry on limit much smaller (thereby forcing people to check bags). I also think there will charge a fee to hold an infant in your lap.

Northwest already charges for the "premium" seats ahead of time. Mostly exit rows for now, but I think it''s $15!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Flying sucks now, like being on a bus with wings.

Bet you they will start charging for using the restroom soon!!!!

There is no pleasantness, even if you fly first class. Better, but not what is used to be. Charging for the FIRST bags is NUTS. They are slowly winnowing away any service or niceties in the process.

cara

Ideal_Rock
They should offer free, good water - flying is dehydrating and it is asking for trouble to charge for it. Seriously.

I would prefer they keep soft drinks free as well as people but will live if they start charging reasonable amounts for them. If they start charging $5 for a coke, I will be pissed. That is just extorting money from trapped people with few other options. But it is the American way, so I think in a few years we will see stadium/movie theatre prices on planes... so sad!

I was initially aghast at paying for food (so I didn't) and after several miserable flights I realized it was time to suck it up and now I am OK as long as they offer food on medium and longer flights and it is somewhat reasonably priced. I also like that the food quality went up slightly when they started charging for it.

As for the luggage fees, $15 each way is annoying but acceptable while the $100 each way for a second bag is absurd! And the first bag fee does annoy me in combination with the ridiculous liquid rules. Try bringing sunblock on vacation! And does it really cost an additional $100 per leg to handle my second bag or is this just extorting money from someone with few other options?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree water is life essential and should be free. God forbid someone dehydrate cuz they do not have cash for water. And since you cannot bring your own water through security that is really not cool.

I would bring my own food, their stuff is literally inedible, once through security it would help if airports had decent options...then I would buy THAT instead of their crap.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 9:55:10 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
My co-worker said she hoped to go home for the Christmas holiday to England.. but.. not for $1100. per ticket. Another co-worker just had her Mom come visit her from Sweden, she said her Mom paid $1600. per ticket.
14.gif
We are paying $2800 EACH to go to Australia for Christmas, plus $280 to carry Amelia on our lap. Almost $6000 in airline tix. Holy moly.
39.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
When I was leaving LaGuardia, I overheard a security guard joking that by this time next month they'll be charging per tray used to send our stuff thru the xray machines. LOL!! I politely asked her NOT to pass that idea on to corporate.
2.gif

I vote for nickle and diming. I've gotten VERY good at getting everything I need for up to 4-days, in my carry-on. It slides into the overhead just barely, but it fits!!

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
I think the nickel and diming is preferable b/c otherwise it would exclude too many people. However, I do not believe that nickel and diming is going to help the airline industry. The price of fuel will stay high, so prices for tickets will continue to rise. At the end of the day, fewer people will be able to afford to fly at all. The nickel and diming strategy is just a way for them to stave off pricing the tickets outside the reach of ordinary people. I suppose it has helped somewhat, but it is a short term solution for sure. Maybe the government will have to further subsidize air travel. Of course at some point the government will run out of money to subsidize this and that, bail out this bank or that bank. It''s a serious situation we are in right now.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 11:47:05 PM
Author: TravelingGal

My co-worker said she hoped to go home for the Christmas holiday to England.. but.. not for $1100. per ticket. Another co-worker just had her Mom come visit her from Sweden, she said her Mom paid $1600. per ticket.
14.gif

We are paying $2800 EACH to go to Australia for Christmas, plus $280 to carry Amelia on our lap. Almost $6000 in airline tix. Holy moly.
39.gif

tgal for not much more you can do a round the world flight, I don''t know if that is an option for you :). But you need to research the carriers, and find a decent travel agent we are planning on setting out OS if we can find a travel agent with a half a brain cell we might get there I don''t care how many times they tell me Qantas is the cheapest it isn''t.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 12:06:16 AM
Author: Deelight

Date: 8/6/2008 11:47:05 PM

14.gif

39.gif

tgal for not much more you can do a round the world flight, I don''t know if that is an option for you :). But you need to research the carriers, and find a decent travel agent we are planning on setting out OS if we can find a travel agent with a half a brain cell we might get there I don''t care how many times they tell me Qantas is the cheapest it isn''t.
Deelight, I will be traveling with an 8 month old. The last thing I want to do is go around the world when I can just go LA to Oz!! But yeah, I know, ATW flights are not much more, which is why so many Aussies do them. They just screw people like me who just need to fly from LA to Oz and back.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 1:11:19 AM
Deelight, I will be traveling with an 8 month old. The last thing I want to do is go around the world when I can just go LA to Oz!! But yeah, I know, ATW flights are not much more, which is why so many Aussies do them. They just screw people like me who just need to fly from LA to Oz and back.
We flew to New Zealand (one way) in May from London, via LA. We paid about £350 each (slight discount for our 3 year old).

The great thing about travelling via LA is that for some weeeeeeird reason, the checked luggage allowance is double that of flying to NZ in the other direction (ie via Hong Kong, Bahrain, Dubai etc).

We got to take 2 x 23kg suitcases each, instead of just one each. Brilliant for us when we needed to take as much stuff with us as possible - but I have no idea why that is. :)

x x x

*ETA* We flew to NZ from London with Phoenix when he was 8 months old... just yell if you need any travel tips! LOL!

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I''m a lifetime world traveler... (been flying around the world since I was a baby!). I have to say if I had to choose one it would be the nickel and diming. Airlines fares are bad enough as it is. I''d rather be able to afford to fly and have to take a middle seat then pay a premium for a short flight to LA or Seattle.

I second what Freke was saying as well. It really bugged me when they got rid of meals, even decent snacks! How crappy is it to get on a long flight and not have had time to grab food during the gate change and be stuck starving to death. Not all airlines offer food for purchase! Ugh.

I''m fine with water on flights personally, and that had better be free! I''ve been carrying my own infltable or roll up pillow and blanket for YEARS. I hate freezing to death on xmas flights to the east coast. Socks, blanket, pillow, CHECK!

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Denying trapped people water on a plane ought to be illegal. If they tried to do that to me I''d throw a fit.
29.gif

When I was a kid I used to complain about the horrible food on trans-Atlantic flights. Little did I know that they''d be taking them away all together. Now I mourn the loss of my cardboard chicken and bland, overcooked veggies.
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results