shape
carat
color
clarity

air bubble or carbon deposit?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aljoy1

Rough_Rock
I have the opportunity to purchase a beautiful diamond 1.60 Ctw and it has nice color, very clear and looks perfect through a loop when looking down. The stone was cut wider too so it gives a very striking appearance. However, with the naked eye you can see two - what appears to be - small air bubbles in the middle of the diamond. Can these be something different - a natural mineral deposit or is it an indication that the diamond has been enhanced somehow. I will bring it to an appraiser if that makes sense but wanted to get some feedback first. Thanks.

drkewl

Rough_Rock
i''m confused... how can it look perfect through a loop looking down but you can these bubbles or crystals or whatever they are with your naked eye?

Did it come with a GIA or AGS report? They usually note when a diamond has been ''enhanced'' and as far as i know, most of the quality dealers here on PS don''t even sell those ''enhanced'' diamonds. I''m pretty sure it CAN be a natural phenomenon, but i''m not an inclusion expert. Maybe one of our great appraisers can give their opinion.

A carbon deposit is normal a black spec of some sort to my understanding so i don''t think its that if its clear.

hope you find the info you''re looking for!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Hmm...it sounds like your diamond was CE which can cause trouble down the line. Hopefully one of the experts will chime in and give us a better idea of what that is. I have never heard of an air bubble in a diamond before, just that gases trapped could give color. Hmm...

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like they might be clear crystal inclusions. I''ve heard of those, but have never seen one. Have you had an expert look at the diamond and tell you what you are seeing?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Really? Now I have to find where I read that diffrent gases trapped in carbon could make them blue or green and what not. Off to look things up...what do you think is up with the stone?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
If you have a GIA report for this stone, it lists what inclusions there are in the stone.

If it is an AGS report there is a list of commonly found inclusions (but not all of them) however they don''t list the specific inclusions in the stone.

Chances are that what you''re seeing are diamond crystals, but to identify them you really need ultra high power to identify them depending on each one''s size.

If they are gas bubbles, it isn''t a diamond.

Rockdoc

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about a negative crystal - does that just mean it is a void in the shape of the crystal (no air or gas within it)?

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I was wondering what you mean by "cut wider." Is this a shallow stone with a larger spread? You should get a Sarin and a GIA report giving the table size, depth and other angles and run it through the HCA to see how it rates.
I was offered a stone that looked great to me. The jeweler placed great emphasis on how large the spread was for its size.
Fortunately I had just found Pricescope and when i posted the dimensions of the stone, I was told by several people on Pricescope that the stone was much too shallow for its size and the table too large.
After being on Pricescope a while, I foound a well proportioned stone and saved myself from making a costly mistake.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's an included diamond crystal that I saw just yesterday. This one is aobut 2mm long and it looks very much like a bubble when it isn't blown up to huge size. Many of them are much rounder as well.

This is a small diamond that was formed first and then the final diamond grew around it.

Neil Baety
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

diaxtl.jpg

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2005 4:45:39 PM
Author: Pyramid
What about a negative crystal - does that just mean it is a void in the shape of the crystal (no air or gas within it)?
Pyramid

Most commonly a negative crystal is or better said was the space where a crystal was and because it came to the surface while cutting it fell out leaving the obverse impression of a crystal on/in the surface.

Rockdoc

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Rockdoc.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would a negative crystal be the same thing as a cavity then or are there different types of cavities?

aljoy1

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for these great responses. There are no papers on the diamond but ther person is a long time diamond jeweler and a good friend of a friend. I looked up an appraiser on this website that is nearby and will bring the diamond there before refusing it. The inclusion cannot be seen with a loop looking down and only from the side - and the cut of the diamond looks proportional in the setting and beautiful but I will have the expert look. I''ll post the results of that appraisal.

aljoy1

Rough_Rock
your picture looks very much like the inclusion in the diamond I have - of course not that detailed. Thank you very much.

The stone I am looking at is beautiful and I would like to keep it - I just don''t want something that was tampered with. Natural inclusion like you descibe is fine with me especially since you do not see it straight down - just from the side. Thanks again for the information.

EZ

Rough_Rock
What a great picture denverappraiser. Is there a way that we can get this into a gallery? Maybe some interesting examples of different inclusions that can form would make interesting viewing for others?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results