shape
carat
color
clarity

AIGS terminology - probably origin?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
I was just browsing through some of gemwow''s inventories and I had the chance to look at some AIGS grading reports.
I suppose those are the official AIGS reports (have never seen one in real life)
They are called "gemstone identification - ereport"

1) Is this considered the grading report? or is it just a lean version of a real proper report?

2) Something kind of struck me as I was looking at the report. One of the report inputs is "PROBABLY ORIGIN"

Now even an institution doesnt 100% know where the stone comes from, how does one even trust anyone else when they claim a certain origin location? How is an origin "tested" by AIGS (or any other labs) ? Is it merely a word of mouth thing? How does this all work ?

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Every geological formation has unique conditions and gems of a specific variety from a particular location are thought to have a ''fingerprint'' that can in principle be identified.

To do this, a lab has to build a database of physical and chemical characteristics specific to each gem variety and location. It requires analysis of a large population of samples. Most labs that do country of origin reports will do so only for a small number of gem varieties, typically ruby, sapphire, emerald and perhaps alexandrite. The Gubelin lab in Switzerland is the pioneer in country of origina analysis, due to Edward Gubelin''s lifetime of work on the analysis of gemstone inclusions.

empress

Shiny_Rock
They are assessing inclusions in the stone and comparing them to known inclusions from specific countries (and maybe mines) and determining, based upon those inclusions, the probability of the stone being from that location. The only way to know "100% where the stone comes from" is to get it there yourself.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
you guys are awesome
thank you for enlightening me =)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results