shape
carat
color
clarity

Ahaha! I am a babyshower loser.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
So, this very afternoon I am hosting a baby shower for my secretary. I''ve been planning this for a couple of months now, and lots of the staff are baking, bringing decorations, and various little gifts and things. But the centerpiece of the whole effort was that we collected a LOT of money for a Babies-R-Us gift card so that C (the soon-to-be mom) can choose a really good quality stroller. She''ll be a single mum, and they pay her something shocking - like barely enough to keep soul and body together. So we thought a big ticket item would be helpful.

Anyway, I ordered the gift card about 3 weeks ago, trying to be all organized and stuff and I was pretty sure I brought it in to my office. I get here this AM.... no gift card. I call home and FI frantically looks in all the likely places... no gift card. So I think "OK, call BabiesRus and see if they can reissue it." There was a sum in the hundreds on this card, you see, so I was really praying they didn''t say I was out of luck. So, the man gets on the line and says "No problem!" I give him my order number, he puts me on hold.

(hold music... lalalalaaaa lalalalaaaa!)

Then I get an e-mail from FI: "I found the gift card! I''m bringing it to your office ASAP!" (Isn''t he a doll?
30.gif
30.gif
)

BabiesRUs man gets back on the line and I''m all "Dude, thanks so much, but guess what? We found it!"

His response: "Too late! We cancelled it."

It will take two weeks for the new one to arrive. What a downer for C.
7.gif
I''m a shower-failure!
39.gif
39.gif

But at least we can give her the old card as a symbol until the new one arrives. But that''s even cutting it close in terms of the baby''s arrival!

Anyway, if I ever offer to throw YOU a shower, just say "No". I am clearly not good at this!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sure that she won''t mind-she''ll just be so excited to get the voucher! At least this way she can go in and pick out her stroller and as soon as the new voucher comes she can get it. I think that it''s really thoughtful of you for throwing her the shower!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ah,I''m pretty sure things like that happen to the best of us! What a great idea! And I''m positive she won''t be disappointed to learn you all got her a very nice gift, even if she can''t get it the day of the shower!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aw, don''t worry about it. Really, she''ll understand once you explain! And I''m sure she will be very touched by the outpouring of generosity.
2.gif

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Like others have said, I am sure that C will very much appreciate the thought of the gift card (and the shower) and the delay will give her some time to pick out just the right stroller.

A similar thing happened to me once with a wedding gift. I had purchased a smaller item on the couple''s registry and also a gift card to go along with it (so they could get what they liked from that store). Needless to say, I just brought the bag home and put it aside until it was a few hours before the wedding. I wrapped the gift and went to put the gift card in the wedding card and imagine my surprise - I had paid for the gift card and the clerk had not put it in my bag! I was frantic - but luckily the card was unused and I was able to cancel and have a gc reissued. Unfortunately, I had to go to the wedding "gift-light" and felt totally dumb writing a note in the wedding card that I had a gc to get to them later
emembarrassed.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''re not a baby shower loser, Indy!!! You put forth your best effort and things just didn''t work out the way you planned, not such a big deal, and I''m sure the recipient will get a laugh out of your little ordeal when you tell her she has a GC on the way.

I bet you''re a much nicer shower hostess than the lady who hosted my SIL''s last week was...my favorite comment from her was: "To those of you who like to play games at showers, that''s too bad, because I hate them so we''re not playing any."
20.gif
I could see her logic, but the way she verbalized her opinion left me speechless.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww, you are not a baby shower loser Miss Indie. She''ll be blown away by your generousity, and the new card will come soon.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Ahh, Indy, this totally sounds like something I would do!

At least you got it all taken care of and it will all work out in the end!

I hope the rest of the day went off without a hitch!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Is it worth a call to the supervisor or customer service ...everything can be reversed...computers ya know. The employee can vouch for you...worth a call. But you have to get past the first tier knowledge base.

Otherwise...enjoy the little mints and have fun!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree she will understand! The card will get here soon. Have a great shower.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Awwww, at least you''ll have a good story to tell her, and I''m sure it''ll garner a laugh!

What matters is the thought, right?

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Totally sounds like something I would do. Don''t feel bad at all. She probably won''t need the stoller right away anyway. Who wants to take a newborn out right after the birth. I''m sure she''ll be thrilled!

:)

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! For a minute I thought you were going to say that the guy came back and said the card had been totally spent by someone!
23.gif
I am sure she will be more than delighted even with the symbolic cancelled card! It gives her something to eagerly anticipate and to do her research before it arrives!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2008 9:41:47 AM
Author:Independent Gal
So, this very afternoon I am hosting a baby shower for my secretary. I''ve been planning this for a couple of months now, and lots of the staff are baking, bringing decorations, and various little gifts and things. But the centerpiece of the whole effort was that we collected a LOT of money for a Babies-R-Us gift card so that C (the soon-to-be mom) can choose a really good quality stroller. She''ll be a single mum, and they pay her something shocking - like barely enough to keep soul and body together. So we thought a big ticket item would be helpful.

Anyway, I ordered the gift card about 3 weeks ago, trying to be all organized and stuff and I was pretty sure I brought it in to my office. I get here this AM.... no gift card. I call home and FI frantically looks in all the likely places... no gift card. So I think ''OK, call BabiesRus and see if they can reissue it.'' There was a sum in the hundreds on this card, you see, so I was really praying they didn''t say I was out of luck. So, the man gets on the line and says ''No problem!'' I give him my order number, he puts me on hold.

(hold music... lalalalaaaa lalalalaaaa!)

Then I get an e-mail from FI: ''I found the gift card! I''m bringing it to your office ASAP!'' (Isn''t he a doll?
30.gif
30.gif
)

BabiesRUs man gets back on the line and I''m all ''Dude, thanks so much, but guess what? We found it!''

His response: ''Too late! We cancelled it.''

It will take two weeks for the new one to arrive. What a downer for C.
7.gif
I''m a shower-failure!
39.gif
39.gif

But at least we can give her the old card as a symbol until the new one arrives. But that''s even cutting it close in terms of the baby''s arrival!

Anyway, if I ever offer to throw YOU a shower, just say ''No''. I am clearly not good at this!
Indy, the Babysrus guy is an idiot. Oh PLEASE!!! No problem, we''ll cancel it and issue you another one in two weeks????? They need to fix it NOW. Honestly, why is that an issue? I''d take the card up to the store tonight and motivate them get it fixed.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Indy, you are adorable. I''m sure she''ll have a laugh...

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/28/2008 12:27:39 PM
Author: monarch64
You''re not a baby shower loser, Indy!!! You put forth your best effort and things just didn''t work out the way you planned, not such a big deal, and I''m sure the recipient will get a laugh out of your little ordeal when you tell her she has a GC on the way.

I bet you''re a much nicer shower hostess than the lady who hosted my SIL''s last week was...my favorite comment from her was: ''To those of you who like to play games at showers, that''s too bad, because I hate them so we''re not playing any.''
20.gif
I could see her logic, but the way she verbalized her opinion left me speechless.
23.gif
Yikes! Did your SIL have fun at least??

Indy, I think you went above and beyond! If I was your friend I would be so touched by the effort you went to-don''t worry about the fact that it''s close to the bb arrival-she''ll want to have some shopping leeway once s/he is here!
5.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
The babyshower went great! Everyone had a good time and my secretary got lots of nice little things. I tried to ham up the story about the gift card as much as possible and C was laughing her butt off, so it was not a big deal. PHEW!

She seemed very happy, and as things were settling down we got into a great talk about how our lives were changing. She got knocked up just about exactly when I got engaged, and she''ll have her son just a couple of weeks before we get hitched. So we''ve been going through excitement and trepidation and worry and everything at about the same pace (except she felt like puking for 6 months straight... whereas I have only felt like puking when I had to think about things like ribbon colours or tablecloths).

Anyway, she is a special lady and I''m so fond of her. And I think she''s going to be an awesome mom! Yay!

Thanks for the moral support, people. I just felt so stupid this morning. But it all turned out OK.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2008 8:50:07 PM
Author: Independent Gal
The babyshower went great! Everyone had a good time and my secretary got lots of nice little things. I tried to ham up the story about the gift card as much as possible and C was laughing her butt off, so it was not a big deal. PHEW!

She seemed very happy, and as things were settling down we got into a great talk about how our lives were changing. She got knocked up just about exactly when I got engaged, and she''ll have her son just a couple of weeks before we get hitched. So we''ve been going through excitement and trepidation and worry and everything at about the same pace (except she felt like puking for 6 months straight... whereas I have only felt like puking when I had to think about things like ribbon colours or tablecloths).

Anyway, she is a special lady and I''m so fond of her. And I think she''s going to be an awesome mom! Yay!

Thanks for the moral support, people. I just felt so stupid this morning. But it all turned out OK.
LOL! Isn''t that just the truth? Who cares anymore, really???
3.gif

I''m so glad your shower went off without a hitch!

You did good, girl!
36.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
IG, glad it went well! Sounds like it was very special for both of you.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Indy, glad to hear things went well...and your comment on the reasons why you were both puking was hilarious!
36.gif
35.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your story was so funny, I tried to respond earlier but it kept getting chewed up when I hit "submit". I''m glad you pulled it off without a hitch!

You sound like me, Indy--I''m currently on the hunt for my little Bluetooth earpiece. The thing is--I know it''s somewhere in my car because when I press the button for my phone to connect with it, it connects when I''m in the car, which is something it only does when it''s within a certain distance from the earpiece. I CANNOT FIND THAT LITTLE SUCKER! I''ve pulled everything out of there, moved the seats back and forth, stuck my hand all the way into the seats I thought my arm was going to get gobbled up, nothing. But I can''t bring myself to buy a new one because I haven''t really lost the earpiece, it''s just being held hostage by my little Honda Civic!

I''m also too embarrassed to tell FI about it, because I do this sort of thing often. I once "lost" my keys in my big bucket purse. We had the ushers at the movie theatre searching in between the seats for about fifteen minutes and then VOILA! There they were, in my purse, the entire time. Oh, boy, and there was the time when I was in law school that I had my dear father drive an hour to the bookstore to bring me my spare set of keys because I was convinced that I locked them in my car. The bookstore had closed, so I stood hovered in the doorway shivering (it was winter in Chicago) for the entire hour. When he showed up with the keys I could not find my pair in the car. I did find them, though . . . in my backpack, which was on my back, THE ENTIRE TIME. Oh dear, perhaps I shouldn''t share these stories about myself.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I knew she would find it funny! And a big ditto on ribbon colours and tablecloths.

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhh, ribbon and tablecloth flashbacks! I was so horrible at planning the details of our wedding, it was sooo frustrating!

LOL, Haven!

IG, glad it went well! Yay for you!
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results