shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS0 Princess Cut Versus Superbcert Princess Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

freaknyea

Rough_Rock
Superbcert claims to have the best Princess Cut stones anywhere but they don''t use AGS because GIA is the foremost Diamond certifier. AGS000 (or AGS0 - I have seen both used for Princess Cut stones) Cut Grade System for Princess Cuts is a new standard for Princess Cut stones. Superbcert uses alot of different instruments to sell their product I have heard people tell me that their Princess Cuts because they have smaller tables just look like Rounds, another person told me that they are just regular stones that they picked their best and put them up as Superbcert.
Here are a couple links so you can see two stones with similar color carat and clarity if you prefer to see:
AGS - http://www.diamondexpert.com/diamonds/dbs.cgi?sf=detd.setup.cgi&active=active&stock=PR20106071&submit_search=1
Superbcert - http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/196.html
Which way would I be better off going or trusting? Any unbiased professional opinion/fact?
Truly any information would be great... Thank You Very Much

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Well, I guess there is no definitive word when it comes to princesses. Your eye and your personal taste play a good part in the game. Both sellers are providing high quality diamonds. I guess it's mostly a matter of preference towards a seller or another and of availability of the right diamond at the right time.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the Superbcert looks GREAT - the inclusion is the only thing I''d be concerned about. I''d call them tomorrow and ask them to look at it for you - it may not be an obviously visible flaw in person. And a well cut stone with great light return will hide that "li''l thang" most of the time. Keep in mind that the photos are designed to highlight these things, and are GREATLY magnified - a tiny little thing will look huge. Superbcert also has a great return policy - you could have them send it, and if it isn''t what you want then send it back! Or have it sent to an appraiser first...

freaknyea

Rough_Rock
I do not want either of those Diamonds I am just giving an example of a Diamond from AGS and Superbcert.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Okay I am confused as to what you are looking for (original poster). I thought that your first post in this thread asked which way you should go and you presented two stones from two different vendors. Are you asking whether you should go AGS or non-AGS? I think the pros of the AGS stones would be they are cut to a specific standard and it may make your search a little easier. But as I understand it these AGS princess stones are not in great supply. So that may affect your search in a negative sense. On the other hand I think that non-AGS stones can have great cut quality and great performance. The downside is that you may have to go through many more stones to find the one.

I posted in your other thread that you may want to check www.goodoldgold.com. You may also want to try White Flash''s expert selections as well.
1.gif

freaknyea

Rough_Rock
onedrop... sorry for the confusion . I am looking for a stone but not those two. I only put those stones up for anyone who didn''t know Superbcert or AGS and so that people can compare the reports. Personally I have been searching for the best Princess Cut stone out there. If anyone would like to actually know my specifications here they are :
Princess Cut
Color D
Clarity Fl - VVS2
Carat .75 - .89
Cut - Unimaginable

but I will also be willing to slide a little if the cut was that good which would mean (only if neccessary):
Princess Cut
Color D-E
Clarity Fl - VS1
Carat .75 - .99
Cut - I believe everyone understands by this point.

As you can imagine with High expectations on cut and even on other Diamond aspects it becomes difficult to find a Diamond of my choice. As far as I know so far Superbcert claims the best cut Diamonds (although graded through GIA), and AGS has the Standards in Diamond Grading currently.
And I am sick of hearing one company bash another Honesty is thrown out the window. For example, Superbcert claims the Best Cut Princess Diamonds and another company said that their Diamonds are not all that great.
So in the end ... HELP!!!:)

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm. The specs you have are very tight - it may not be that easy to find "the" stone in that range right away. If cut is king (which it should be), don''t pass up an awesome stone just because it is an SI or VS instead of Fl-VVS.

The "brands" of stones you have listed (AGS 0 vs Superbcert) are both great (as are others), and you will get a nice stone either way. But you still need to see them - you may find your eye likes one over the other, but the specs may not be exactly what you specified. For example, one routine poster on this forum says she found her "sweet spot" in a RB pavillion angle of 40.9 (as opposed to 40.8, etc). She can see the difference - you may be able to as well. I''m not trying to dissuade you from your goal, as you are looking for an unbelievable rock! Just don''t pass up a great stone.

That said, aside from numbers, how will you be judging performance on the stones (Idealscope, Brillinacescope, etc)?

In terms of "vendor bashing", diamonds are a business too. I''ve met a lot of salespeople who will say anything to make a sale - doesn''t make it true. (I had one local jeweler who looked at my ideeal cut RB tell me that my 55% table was impeding light return (huh?) then tried to sell me one with a 67% table!) It seems to me you have already done your homework, you know what you want, and you have found 2 great types of Princesses, either of which will be gorgeous. If you live near one one of the people who has the type of stone you are looking for, go see it, and decide for yourself (or get one or a few stones sent to an appraiser near you to help you decide).

I''m sure you have done Pricescope searches, but this is a link to a thread from last month which has some great info on how to track down these AGS 0 stones.

I feel your frustration! What else can we do to help you???
1.gif

freaknyea

Rough_Rock
ecg8503 ... I will be judging on BrillianceScope and Imagescope reports. Not many companies do them though. Thanks

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Okay..we are on the same page now! Thanks for the clarification. I agree with what ecf8503 said, your preferences are pretty tight. But there is a lot of info at PS and other places on princesses now. And ecf8503 made some really good suggestions.

I am sure that folks will provide feedback once you find stones that you are interested in and post them here. Don't be thrown by the sales pitches. Let your eyes and your knowledge be the judge.

tareyton

Rough_Rock
I am by know means an expert just what I would consider an informed consumer. Here is my take. Superbcert what does that mean? Personally nothing to me. It is a marketing term used by a company that sells a product. It is by no means an unbiased classification. Blue Nile claims their signature diamonds are the best in the world. At least AGS is world wide recognized as a independant certifier of Diamonds.

freaknyea

Rough_Rock
For purposes of Clearing of the Bashing... There is a difference between Professional opinion and fact and someone just trying to sell their Diamonds. I am using this term under unprofessional means - a poor sales tool. Thanks hope this cleared that up... Chris

"And I am sick of hearing one company bash another Honesty is thrown out the window. For example, Superbcert claims the Best Cut Princess Diamonds and another company said that their Diamonds are not all that great.
So in the end ... HELP!!!:)"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results