shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS Negligible vs. GIA Faint

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know if the GIA flouro grading of aint is equal to the AGS flouro grade of Negligible?

Is faint considered more than negligible?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
they are basically one in the same. you can''t detect either with the naked eye.
2.gif

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I believe faint and negligible are roughly the same thing. It''s basically the same thing. As for the GIA vs. AGS rating, I don''t know for sure so don''t quote me on this, but I think they are the same - so a GIA rating of faint will be the equivalent of the AGS''s negligible. I don''t know much about AGS though.....

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ya''ll! ...That is what I was thinking...but I wanted to be sure...

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA has two grades on fluorescence, where AGS has one.

GIA has a grade of ''nonel'' and one of ''faint''.

Since there is a scientific argument that ''none'' is not the same as nothing, AGS has chosen to abandon its previous two grades, and to combine them into the grade ''negligible''.

Therefore, any stone graded none or faint in GIA, should get the negligible-grade in AGS. It is important to note that ''none'' is also ''negligible''.

Live long,

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Technically, fluorescence is not a part of the grade, but only a descriptive term.

I know that GIA is sometimes lax about reporting fluorescence, sighting ''none'' when in fact it may be faint or even medium. Also, I have seen GIA report "faint", but not indicate the color of the fluorescence - in this case yellow, not the commonly seen/assumed blue color.

Each stone bears checking.

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
I had thought of that, and asked a B&M store if faint meant faint blue....b/c many time GIA will say Med blue, or strong blue...so why not faint blue, rather than plain old faint????

Thanks for the indepth anallysis...I think it is a more confusing part of the grading systems b/c it does nto seem to have any kind of standard.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results