shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS DESKTOP ASET IMAGES

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am not so sure about the need for fancy back lighting.
This is taken with my inexpensive hand held, a $200 canon tourist camera and the $30 ideal-light.

If you set the camera to the right settings (night time i think it is) you can do even better.

Rocdoc the new version has brighter colored reflectors like the hand held version?

0.33GVSEm.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/26/2005 12:22:21 AM
Author: researcher
You know me well
9.gif
Princesses would be so fun to see!
I have not taken many photo''s - but here isna lousy princess researcher

0.25JVVS2PR.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
And just for fun - a steep crown angled stone.
This one I have used photoshop to adjust the background color to white.
It is a little fuzzy compared to Rocdoc''s best shots - but the detail seems to be there.

1.03FSI1FIC tricked up.jpg

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2005 2:26:07 PM
Author: belle
nice.
would you mind sharing the measurements on the stone?
do you have an red reflector image of it as well?
Howdy Belle....

Here is the Firescope image of the first stone

Rockdoc

Firescope 1 (tm).jpg

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Here is the Firescope image of the eightstar one

Rockdoc

Firescope (tm). sm jpg.jpg

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The excellent clarity of the two photos by Garry with the hand held unit make me wonder a little about what the desk top unit does that the other doesn''t do. There is a wide price difference.

Is the "grading" of diamonds done with the new AGS devices a matter of comparing the visible image to a set of photographic charts to see the approximate quality of light performance, or is it more technical? Can one examine two similar diamonds that produce rather similar images and know how much better one diamond is from the other? Is the AGS tool a screening device like the Ideal-Scope, but just more refined in its screening abilities?

The images of the emerald cut and the princess cut are not "impressive". Do these images speak to experts in the use of the ASET scope, or are they just pretty pictures without meaningful definition? People might want to have such images on their reports. What do they mean?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
David.....

While we still have a lot to learn about the ASET''s ability to discern quality, I think the images speak for themselves.

In a very elementary and basic interpretation, the more red and blue there is, the better the light return of the diamond.

Look at the eightstar images with the black cup as compared to the first image. I think there is a notable difference in the images that can be interpreted as better than the other.

As Neil pointed out there are some limitations due the the size of the stone. The ASET is more designed for stones around the 1 carat size, as you can see, the images sort of reach the limits of the two 2 plus carat images I posted. The AGS wall charts are produced with the size being 6 mm so there will be some variance in stones of different sizes than the 6 mm size.

I have the hand held instrument as well, and I think the optics in the desktop unit as well as the focusing ( which appears to be extremely critical ) a factor to be considered as well. I would guess that AGS will probably have to produce another desktop instrument that can handle larger diamonds, but that remains to be seen at this juncture.

Rockdoc

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
A New Image of an ACA.....

Is it a Classic ACA or New Line one?

Rockdoc

(c) 2005 Consumers Gem Lab

ASET 3 sm.jpg

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Here''s ACA stone again.... much better image of it. Don''tcha'' think.

GETTIN'' THERE... with these images

(C) 2005 Consumers Gem Lab

Rockdoc

john guzman ASET sm.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
that looks just like a classic
4.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
defintely new line
5.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Hii Belle

Yes, it''s a new line one.

But interesting to see the differences of the last two images, as to how different they are. Change in lighting and focusing seems to be a very sensitive isssue with taking these photos.

How do ya think they compare to the 8* ones?

Rockdoc

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think you are going to have this aset photo thing perfected soon!
36.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Hi Belle

Yep, I''m getting there... Getting more comfortable with it each time.

Actually pretty good for me being a compu-grape !

Rockdoc

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you are going to have to link those pics sometime
2.gif

to link:
go to the page you want to link to
highlight the address of the page beginning with the ''www'' (don''t highlight the http://) and copy it (ctrl+c)
go to the post that you want to reply to and open a reply box
type your message. when you get to where you want to use a link, click on the ''link'' button (looks like a piece of chain)
when the box pops up, paste (ctrl+v) the address that you copied previously into the field with the http://
in the field below that, type in the name of your link (you can use ''link'' or ''here'' or whatever you want to call it)
click ''insert''

voila! you have a link in your post.

you can check the link be clicking on it after you submit your post. if it doesn''t work, you can go back and ''edit topic'' to fix it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to suggest you give your great tips to Rockdoc Belle, I know he wanted to learn how to do it too!
36.gif
36.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Nice photos Bill. Your techniques are making good headway.

Good information exchange going on here too. Before long Rock will be a linkmeister and Belle will be the ASET queen.
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/12/2005 11:17:18 AM
Author: JohnQuixote

Good information exchange going on here too. Before long Rock will be a linkmeister and Belle will be the ASET queen.
1.gif
How did I do?

ASET Queen pages.prodigy.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 2:12:30 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

1.gif

How did I do?

cz

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade

1.gif
How did I do?
High crown plus big table. Pavilion is impossible to judge, but probably very deep. I think that there will not be a lot of light return here.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

1.gif
How did I do?
Definitely New Line. Symmetry problems with the eyebrows (you did look at the eyebrows, didn't you?). Crown angles are off the chart. Probably a good performer with the HCA. Possibly warped.

Neil Beaty,
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just to be the devil''s advocate for a moment, please consider the three colors and placements shown in the ASET images. Since we are viewing these in a subjective way, we can argue, without any final agreement, about which image would be "best", but we can say certain types of images or features of images align well with diamonds that perform or look excellent. In essence, we can screen diamonds with such a tool, but we cannot make fine tuned judgments about which is fine, finer and finest. This is what the diamond business demands, specificity.

We seek D color versus E. We seek VVS1 instead of VVS2. At the top end, where quality and rarity create the value, we want to have tools which discern precisely. Please explain in what ways the ASET is an asset in this regard........

I have no axe to grind with the work of AGS in advancing the process of diamond grading, but being an outsider to AGS I''d like to know how the insiders feel about the specificity of precision grading with it.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/12/2005 5:12:55 PM
Author: oldminer
This is what the diamond business demands, specificity.

We seek D color versus E. We seek VVS1 instead of VVS2. At the top end, where quality and rarity create the value, we want to have tools which discern precisely. Please explain in what ways the ASET is an asset in this regard........
Is this true? And to what extent? Do we seek D versus E, or do we seek D-, versus E+, E-average, E-, and so on? Or do we seek colourless face-up? And in clarity, do we seek VVS1 as opposed to VVS2, or do we seek eye-clean for a great price?

I think that there is no universal answer. Some people will seek enormous specificity, while others do not.

Live long,

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Now now boys - back on task please!!!!

Date: 12/12/2005 5:12:55 PM
Author: oldminer
Just to be the devil''s advocate for a moment, please consider the three colors and placements shown in the ASET images. Since we are viewing these in a subjective way, we can argue, without any final agreement, about which image would be ''best'', but we can say certain types of images or features of images align well with diamonds that perform or look excellent. In essence, we can screen diamonds with such a tool, but we cannot make fine tuned judgments about which is fine, finer and finest. This is what the diamond business demands, specificity.

I have no axe to grind with the work of AGS in advancing the process of diamond grading, but being an outsider to AGS I''d like to know how the insiders feel about the specificity of precision grading with it.
I find for round diamonds there is nothing much that ASET tells me that the ideal-scope does not. Others will argue that shalllow stones can be detected by having too much blue. That is true - but shallow stones show too much black in the ideal-scope.

Dave the ASET comes into its own with fancy shapes though.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/12/2005 5:54:45 PM

I find for round diamonds there is nothing much that ASET tells me that the ideal-scope does not. Others will argue that shalllow stones can be detected by having too much blue. That is true - but shallow stones show too much black in the ideal-scope.

Dave the ASET comes into its own with fancy shapes though.

It wouldn''t mean much coming from me... any chance this might appear somewhere in the ''official'' reference base of this forum? It is becoming boring to hear that good old ''fancy cuts have to be seen, IS doesn''t tell anything yada... yada..."
38.gif

This was one thing to learn from DC. You guys got me in trouble with this bit of software!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results