shape
carat
color
clarity

AGS ASET - Works for which Shapes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bostondiamonds

Rough_Rock
I was told the ASET only works for Round and Princess diamonds. Is this true? Does the AGS support it''s use for Radiant, Cushion, or Asscher?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
well..of course you can use the aset with any shape..it's not biased
31.gif
however ags does not yet have standardized cut grading in place for anything other than rounds and princess. we are watching and waiting though, as other shapes are in developement.

bostondiamonds

Rough_Rock
Can I use the general principles for the radiants and cushions?

Red = overhead light is best
Green = reflected light is good
blue = obscured light not preferable
white = leakage is bad

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
those generlizations could make a dangerous combination. you need to have the right proportions of each. for example, you can't say all red is good and all blue is bad. it's the overall picture that you need to look at.
what are you analyzing?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I use it only on fancy cuts (always).
But I hold the stone in tweezers.
There is also an inherent weakness with step cut stones that you should beware of.

Eg this should be a cracker jack square.

ASET IS square round111.JPG

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
What about the emerald square cut ("Asscher")? Will the ASET be useful face up or only with the tilt?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 10:21:53 PM
Author: DiamondExpert
What about the emerald square cut (''Asscher'')? Will the ASET be useful face up or only with the tilt?

face up its kicken for looking at the patterns, tilt a bit to check things.
What im finding with asschers is that if the ASET is good face up its usualy good tilted too.
The proper angle relationship is evident face up.

using both helium data based and DC created examples iv spent hours looking it over.
AGSS uses 45 degrees each way of tilt.
my 2c anyway from studying the ASET and asscher cuts.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/14/2005 11:53:57 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 12/14/2005 10:21:53 PM
Author: DiamondExpert
What about the emerald square cut (''Asscher'')? Will the ASET be useful face up or only with the tilt?

face up its kicken for looking at the patterns, tilt a bit to check things.
What im finding with asschers is that if the ASET is good face up its usualy good tilted too.
The proper angle relationship is evident face up.

using both helium data based and DC created examples iv spent hours looking it over.
AGSS uses 45 degrees each way of tilt.
my 2c anyway from studying the ASET and asscher cuts.
AGS I think will weight more to face up.
You only need 45 degrees one way - otherwise you negate weighting.
DiamCalc uses tilting to 30 degrees, which is more than enough I think - I would think at 45.1 degree the input should be to 0.0 rather than 50% or 25% or cosine.

Of the diamCalc scores i look at they are always the stereo light return thru 30 degrees and the tilting contrast. I have seen very nice stones with lowish scores for some other functions.

bostondiamonds

Rough_Rock
Sorry. I''m new to this whole thing. Tilt and AGS angles don''t mean much to me (yet!)

As a consumer if I purchased a handheld ASET or Ideal-Scope and brought it with me;
1. Would I anger the jewler?
2. When comparing diamonds would it help me evaluate which ones were cut better?
3. Which tool would aid me (if at all) in evaluating cut quality?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2005 10:02:17 AM
Author: bostondiamonds
Sorry. I'm new to this whole thing. Tilt and AGS angles don't mean much to me (yet!)

As a consumer if I purchased a handheld ASET or Ideal-Scope and brought it with me;

2. When comparing diamonds would it help me evaluate which ones were cut better?

1. some it might but i wouldnt shop with one it did.

2. yes

3. both but right now ideal-scope is the better pick. there is more information avaiable and a nice chart so it is easier to understand and it is simpler.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2005 10:02:17 AM
Author: bostondiamonds

Sorry. I''m new to this whole thing. Tilt and AGS angles don''t mean much to me (yet!)

as a consumer your option would be to use the idealscope

i would encourage you to find a jeweler that is at least accepting of reflector devices. if you know what you are looking for and don''t reject otherwise nice diamonds based on what you *think* you should be seeing, there should not be a problem.

yes, as long as you understand what you are looking for

again, as long as you understand what to look for, an idealscope can be helfpful in finding well cut stones.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Asscher ASET with tilt.
The file name is the angle.
The ones with aXX names are standard DC jewelery store lighting.

smallsteptest.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
gem file for above

Attachments

• asschersmallstep.gem
    1.4 KB · Views: 54

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2005 10:04:45 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

as you see a great ideal-scope or ASET does not assure you of a great stone.

Why is that an great IS/ASET of the flat square - the lack of contrast is just as visible in any of the pictures: ASET, IS and white light...

On a different thread you mentioned that ASET is more helpful with fancies than IS. To me, this is so because it breaks down the 'red' showing (lack of) contrast where the IS would loose this as barely visible variations of reds.

Am I seeing things?

Also, is it always the case that such flat areas appear as leakage on the chosen 30 degrees tilt? Intuitively... not, but I didn't check.

Anyway...
38.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/16/2005 4:18:49 AM
Author: valeria101

Date: 12/14/2005 10:04:45 PM

as you see a great ideal-scope or ASET does not assure you of a great stone.

Why is that an great IS/ASET of the flat square - the lack of contrast is just as visible in any of the pictures: ASET, IS and white light...

On a different thread you mentioned that ASET is more helpful with fancies than IS. To me, this is so because it breaks down the ''red'' showing (lack of) contrast where the IS would loose this as barely visible variations of reds.

Am I seeing things?

Also, is it always the case that such flat areas appear as leakage on the chosen 30 degrees tilt? Intuitively... not, but I didn''t check.

Anyway...
38.gif
Think in dimensions Ana.

ASET breaks into 3 levels of 2D where Ideal-scope is 2levels of 2 dimensions. The third dimensin is azimuth - and neither does this 3rd dimension

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2005 7:19:20 AM
Think in dimensions Ana.

ASET breaks into 3 levels of 2D where Ideal-scope is 2levels of 2 dimensions. The third dimensin is azimuth - and neither does this 3rd dimension
The effects of azimuth shifts show on the face up projections though.

Pictures in 3D... is something else.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2005 3:49:01 AM
excellent demo Storm.

I think that stone might have just a little too much blue in the table - it would look a little like a round diamond with 40 p and 32 crown
interesting comment Garry the blue is needed for patterns.
I like the wise step below far better but had to mellow because my fellow consumers liked the drop better by a small margin and it has even more blue.

facetsasschers.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What I find interesting is the broadflash at between 8 degrees and 22 degrees.
When I saw it on the tilted aset the first time a light bulb went on in my head hey iv seen the real thing do that.
So I checked it out and yep a well cut asscher has a very large broadflash in that range.
The angle range and duration of the broadflash changes with the cut.
I call it an asscher broadside :} as in battleships.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results