shape
carat
color
clarity

AGL ruby report - what do I have?

KB0708

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I thought I would run this past fellow pricescopers. When I was about 7-8 years old (late 80's), my parents bought an old ruby ring from an antique store in Chicago for $500. It was given to me on my 16th birthday, July = ruby! I almost never wore it as it was too small for my fingers and setting was crooked. As a gift for my 40th birthday, my mom asked me to bring it to a custom jeweler to have it reset. I brought it in assuming the old dirty stone wasn't worth much more than what we paid for it. The woman running the store immediately cleaned it (several times...filthy after 30 years!) and asked how long it had been in my possession. When I told her at least 30+ years she asked if she could sent it off to AGL before setting it. I received the attached report back. With this report she has told me the ruby is worth about $7,500-$8,000. She is 100% confident the stone is Burmese and she said the color is beautiful. I'm still in a bit of shock. Is this standard jewelry store inflation pricing? Just curious if this group would agree on the value of the stone. I'm now cautiously excited about the reset. I was worried my mom was spending a couple grand to reset a gem worth less than the reset itself. Would love the groups thoughts.

I only have one photo which was taken PRE-cleaning while I was in the process of moving and had dug out the old jewelry box. If it helps, I audibly gasped after she steam cleaned it. :)
1632799132439.png

Thanks for your thoughts. Kim

Attachments

• AGL ruby report.pdf
    787.4 KB · Views: 27

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, the AGL report says the ruby has been heated and has minor residues.
Best is obviously unheated, then heat only, then heat with insignificant residue, then heat with minor residues and so on.
No one can tell an origin from just looking. The inclusions and sometimes trace elements need to be examined to attribute an origin. Rubies are found in many locations.
Nevertheless it’s a lovely gem with a wonderful family sentimeant. I don’t know if it’s worth $7,000, perhaps retail, if it was identified by a lab report as Burmese and had a colour grading (vivid red or pigeon blood red) it would be worth more.

nutellakitty

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If it is 3ct Burmese heated only with no residue $8000+ or more is reasonable. Under 1ct heated Burma stone with residue should be no more than $500.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess there’s nothing saying your jeweler cannot retail a stone in her store like this for 8k if she wanted to. I can think of a local to me independent jeweler or two who would exactly do that. just under a carat, transparent, minor residue, good color, nice shape, decent faceting.
They would not have what I would find expect to find on eBay or Etsy with a report with minor residue and translucent purple-pink-red for 500.

what are you thinking?
do you want to sell?
i doubt she would offer nearly that much, and you as a consumer are very unlikely to market it yourself to receive that price, as you can tell from the earlier here replies? Honestly judging prices on your photo and the report (which is great that you agreed to have done. Working on a ruby with no knowledge of its treatments can be hazardous) i think the prices can really be swinging one way or the other on how it looks to the eye. The color (and the faceting) for its beauty, and that’s not easily judged by a online pic with 30 years worth of grime .......Not just solely the report stats (although absolutely necessary) either.
if you are truly interested in getting an unbiased appraisal ( and that wouldn’t be this jeweler) look up the PS recommended appraisers that you can contact, buy their services and send your stone(s) to them.

do you wish to enjoy the ring on your finger?
would love to see pictures of it since it’s been cleaned.
are you thinking of resetting in a totally different design?

I really like your stone with those carre cut sidestones as they are, proportion wise.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results