shape
carat
color
clarity

AGA proportions for oval etc. good for cushions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

elbardo

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I''m part way through my search for a cushion, and I have been trying to find out some proportion ranges to work with. As I''ve read here, with cushions, the proportions are only one part, you need to see the stone to figure if you like it, but i''m still trying to find out what I should be looking for.

I have been using the GIA classes to narrow things down, but their class 2 only allows a maximum depth of 61%, but AGA recommends 59-63% for class 1A to 2A.

So, what i''m wondering is:

Can the AGA proportions for oval also be applied to a cushion, or is there another proportion (eg. round brilliant) that should be used instead?

Comparing AGA proportions to the GIA class system, is there a level of AGA that is equivalent to a class 2 gia?

Thanks for the help!

elbardo

Rough_Rock
Anyone? Any advice would be great!

Orange

Rough_Rock
I am buying my cushion today, so I can tell you what I''ve learned (but I am far from an expert). I did not go strictly by those guidelines. Fellow PS-ers seem to feel that those numbers are inconclusive for cushions. I personally tried to find one with a depth between 58-66%, and a table of approximately 55-65%. I also paid close attention to the length to width ratio I found most appealing, as well as the spread. I found huge varations in the spread of cushions even with the same carat weight, largely due to depth and girdle thickness. To me, these elements added up to gorgeous stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results