shape
carat
color
clarity

After years of avid collecting… I’ve reached a state of enoughness?

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Is it possible? Could it be true??
I have lately seen rings I would have formerly pounced on, but I have let them go. The urge to buy and collect has evaporated for me! Is this lasting or just a blip in my collection journey? I’m intrigued by this change in myself. Is it because I simply already have enough?

This comic really makes me think:

Has anyone else reached “enoughness”? Or am I just not shopping in the right places? Haha

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've stopped buying jewelry and perfume (my other lifelong hobby). I truly have enough of both, and now I just want to enjoy what I own.

In the past year I've spent rather a lot on art supplies (my new-ish hobby, just in the past year). I can do a lot with what I have now. If I find I need more of something, I'll get it, but I'm good for now.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not avidly collecting any more either -- I am still pursuing some setting projects -- but, yes, I hear you on the "state of enough" -- I'm pretty much there -- and I'm surprisingly okay with that, which is nice.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone else reached “enoughness”? Or am I just not shopping in the right places? Haha

Yes I have reached that for some collections. That said, I still get the urge to buy now and then for certain special pieces, but few and far between and also fairly easily controllable.

It’s a good state to be in, so congrats!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think it is like any hobby- interest levels change over time. Pretty normal. I have periods where I don't want anything and then I do again.

For years, I made macarons as a hobby. I took them to work. But then I realized I kind of did not like the people, so I stopped! I can't tell you the last time I made a macaron now. But I'm sure I will eventually want to do it again one day.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Give it time, lol. At least that’s what happens to me.
Haha yes maybe I would feel the itch if you sold one of your settings to me… I love your style!!!!

I've stopped buying jewelry and perfume (my other lifelong hobby). I truly have enough of both, and now I just want to enjoy what I own.

In the past year I've spent rather a lot on art supplies (my new-ish hobby, just in the past year). I can do a lot with what I have now. If I find I need more of something, I'll get it, but I'm good for now.
Hmm maybe a new hobby will happen to me!
May I ask, what is your favorite perfume?

I'm not avidly collecting any more either -- I am still pursuing some setting projects -- but, yes, I hear you on the "state of enough" -- I'm pretty much there -- and I'm surprisingly okay with that, which is nice.
Nice to know I’m not alone!

Yes I have reached that for some collections. That said, I still get the urge to buy now and then for certain special pieces, but few and far between and also fairly easily controllable.

It’s a good state to be in, so congrats!
Thanks! I wonder if it will last../

I think it is like any hobby- interest levels change over time. Pretty normal. I have periods where I don't want anything and then I do again.

For years, I made macarons as a hobby. I took them to work. But then I realized I kind of did not like the people, so I stopped! I can't tell you the last time I made a macaron now. But I'm sure I will eventually want to do it again one day.
Wow, I wish I worked with you! I hear those are hard to make.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
It has slowed down a lot for me. It helps that I already have most of the gems I desired to collect. Also my eye has refined at a rate surpassing my funding ability so that has naturally put a doorstop on that. Won’t say no to a great deal but that’s it!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite? Seeing as I have over 70 bottles, that is not so easy to answer. It varies with my mood and the time of year.
One I often enjoy in the fall is Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My bling wish list changes through the years, however, there is always a wish list.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I have reached the point where I have more than enough (stuff).

M

MillieLou

I'm very much into the concept of "enough" in other areas of my life. Eg my house is much more modest (in terms of size and location) than my contemporaries on similar salaries. It's "expected" that we would have traded up by now and people are a bit puzzled that we haven't. But it's big enough for us, and we love it, so why would we want to move?

Same with cars. Mine is reliable, comfortable and takes me from A to B very nicely. So why would I want a newer / better / more expensive one?

I thought jewellery was the exception to the rule as I lusted after a Big Diamond. But now that I finally HAVE the Big Diamond, I've realised it's not for me, and actually just as with every other area of my life, I am not comfortable with high expense and luxury. In fact - I actively don't want it. It's not me and just having it stresses me out. So turns out my "enough" in jewellery is even less than I thought.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have always loved jewelry - always - but it ramped into overdrive the past couple of years (thanks PS - a blessing and a curse). Before that, I was really into fashion so have quite the collection of clothes and shoes. I'm also a bargain hunter so that part of the shopping appeals to me. Anyway, I have NO interest anymore in the clothes and shoes which is weird because that was my "thing" for years and years! I think Covid and not having to get dressed for work had something to do with it. Anyway all that is to say is maybe your interest will shift into a new hobby.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jewelry has been an interest for me since childhood, so I don’t see that changing. However, I do see myself slowing down and trying to focus on the missing pieces in my collection. I definitely focus on quality rather than quantity. I see some areas I have to stop collecting, such a right hand rings. I just never wear the ones I have, but I am saving the ones I have for my girls. I still think of getting an outstanding sapphire and diamond ring, but I am still doubtful I’d wear it enough to justify it. I still want a diamond bracelet, maybe a few more VCA pieces, maybe another watch. I am really trying hard to only buy things I’ll really wear at this point. I am giving my daughters things over time. I am also collecting some starter diamond jewelry for my granddaughters for when they are older.

I certainly could stop today and be content with what I have. But I do still get enjoyment from getting a new piece now and then!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stopped for 2 reasons; I have plenty of stuff to make things with and, I need to win the lottery to get the stuff I really want. :lol:

Seriously I have 3 very full boxes of gemstones that are loose and just sitting there which means, I need to consider those first before doing anything else (and its not like they're all ugly...)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think I haven’t reached that point of “enough” yet, but I can see it happening.

I initially got so excited about lots of different jewelry items, but am really trying to bump the breaks so I get the best of each thing, and have that satisfied “enough” feeling instead of for ever pining for the things I didn’t have the patience to wait for

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
No, but I would like to get to that point or at least a lot closer to it. I tend toward minimalism with most things but go overboard with jewelry compared to everything else. I'm trying to change my thinking about it by focusing more on wearing what I already have.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try but there is always something that catches my eye!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, I’m done Collecting. Most collections were acquired on trips such as oriental carpets, charms, jewelry, and Christmas tree ornaments. Art and artifacts from abroad fill the house and now I am trying to declutter It all. In fact, other than linens and new drapes, I am not buying stuff for me or the house. I purposely did not start any collections for my two girls other than a silver charm from each country. My mom started a paperweight collection when I was young in the 1960s and my last paperweight was acquired 20 years ago. They are pretty but take up every flat surface and can look cluttered.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I think that you get to a certain stage life, when material things don't mean as much
as they used to. Dealing with family issues, such as aging parents, have taken a bunch of joy out of looking at jewelry. Now I start wondering who is going to wear my jewelry when I am no longer around.
I know that I sound depressed, but it's just the reality of life.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results