shape
carat
color
clarity

Affordable Fashion Trends

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I just realized I have no clothes and I have no idea what is
in style” for the winter.

So…give me some ideas for some mix and match outfits that are fun and affordable. I need some work wear, casual and going out ideas!

Thanks!

katamari

Ideal_Rock
I cannot get enough of sweater dresses right now. Of course, that was before I wore one yesterday (when it was a biting 21*F out) and froze my patoot off. I am also loving wide leg herringbone trousers (for work) and corduroys (for casual days).

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Banana Republic sweater dress:

br.cowlneck.dress.jpg

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Ann Taylor herringbone pants:

at.herringbone.pants.jpeg

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Banana Republic corduroy:

br.wideleg.corduroy.jpg

katamari

Ideal_Rock
For more affordable, I would check Zara (if you have one near you) and maybe H&M. I think I just became too old for H&M myself, but I always like their clothes on my slightly younger friends.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I love the sleeveless sweater - not to be entirely confused with the sweater vest. Then again, I think my style at work is to dress masculine with an obvious feminine twist before I dress feminine all the way. I work with too many male engineers and need to be taken seriously.

Sleeveless sweaters are great for layering. I''ll put it over a patterned dress shirt, a frilly white blouse, or a plain cotton shirt. Sometimes I add a broach or a belt or a scarf. Very versatile.

slvlssweater.jpg

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I have something similar to this in brown, with a little more heft. I love it! Probably wear it too often.
Funny, the picture I posted of myself in the Obama cookie thread - I'm wearing an argyle sweater with a striped dress shirt.

452505_fpx.jpg

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Starset, do you mind telling me where that first sleeveless sweater is from? I love it!!

Thanks!

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 12:14:21 PM
Author: Starset Princess
I love the sleeveless sweater - not to be entirely confused with the sweater vest. Then again, I think my style at work is to dress masculine with an obvious feminine twist before I dress feminine all the way. I work with too many male engineers and need to be taken seriously.

Sleeveless sweaters are great for layering. I''ll put it over a patterned dress shirt, a frilly white blouse, or a plain cotton shirt. Sometimes I add a broach or a belt or a scarf. Very versatile.
30.gif

This is adorable!

Around here I have seen a lot of girls where vests, similar to the kind under a tuxedo. Where does this stem from?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I became obsessed with the ombre trend and bought this scarf in black/grey (they had that in the store) ... been wearing it a ton. Needed a cheap pick-me-up & it did the trick.

Opaque or patterned tights ... dresses turned into jumpers by wearing a long-sleeved tee underneath ... mary janes (silver or patent leather)

But the one thing I really really really want for fall: SEXY Tall Boots. They ain''t so very "affordable" though -- at least the ones I like. BAH!

:)

Brilliant_Rock
scarves are definitely in this year and can be a really cheap way to change up the look on basic clothing to make multiple looks with one basic outfit!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Ditto (or thritto?) on the scarves. My favorite one right now is a giant multicolored pashmina; I either do one big loop around my neck or two smaller loops if it's colder (it looks chic if you tuck the ends into the loops a little). Any scarf will do, but I think multicolored ones look very fresh over a more monochromatic, wintery outfit. You can have many different colors or just a few--bright colors are even better!

Dark purple is huge this season. You can wear it instead of black, although black is still chic as ever. Dark purple tights under a black dress would look very of-the-moment, as would a dark purple dress in place of the more-expected black. I think the color would look beautiful with your coloring, IWPO.

I've been seeing cloche hats everywhere. They were big in the 20s, and I think they look very fun, flirty, and a little retro. You can get one for <$15 at Forever 21 or Target.

Another fun addition to your wardrobe could be in the form of colorful accessories. I am carrying a very bright mustard-ish color bag at the moment, and it certainly spices things up. Your colorful accessories do not have to match. For example: totally acceptable to wear a cobalt blue coat with a big yellow bag, or the yellow bag with eggplant shoes.

Do you wear heels? If you're willing to teeter a bit, hidden platforms and sky-high heels are pretty big right now. I think the platforms make the heel a little more comfortable, but I know many people aren't comfortable with four-inch heels.

As for the affordability factor, Forever 21 is a great place to go for trendy stuff. While they don't always carry the highest quality fabrics, the trendier pieces are not meant to last 5+ seasons. This is not to say their clothes look cheap! I try not to outfit myself head-to-toe in F21, but the majority of their clothes and accessories look right at home with my higher-end pieces. Fashionistas have been mixing high- and low-end pieces forever (Jackie O was a lifelong follower of that aesthetic), so you'll be in good company if you do so.

ETA: Just thought of something else you could do: subscribe to (or just read through) fashion blogs like Fabsugar or WhoWhatWearDaily. You can get a good feel for what the very hip are wearing, and try to apply that when you're shopping. For me, I know the Yves St. Laurent bag or Louboutin shoes aren't even a remote possibility at the moment, but it's all about the inspiration.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/19/2008 1:04:48 PM
Author: Burk
Starset, do you mind telling me where that first sleeveless sweater is from? I love it!!

Thanks!
Misery Loves Company

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Thanks!!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I really like off the shoulder sweaters. This one is from White house/Black Market.

whiteblacksweater9944.jpg

joflier

Ideal_Rock
This is a top I just bought from the Limited. Its shiny and has a cute look for the holidays, I think. Plus ruffles are really in right now.

limitedruffleshirt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results