shape
carat
color
clarity

advices on equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is where I am now: I decided to take GIA courses (distant, of course, for lack of time) but they mentioned that they are not providing you with equipment. I browsed equipment on their site and it appeared too expensive. A microscope for 3-5 K, I understand what quality of a microscope it is, have seen it at an appraiser''s office, but it is too steep for me. Any advises on what to buy? The companies to buy from? Same with refractometer, polariscope, etc. Loupe I have bought, but I wonder if there are better loupes, too. I read Matlin''s book but I wonder what people are finding useful.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Check with www.prettyrock.com. They have all the necessary tools and their prices are fair. Good people too. Dev and Beth are "rock" stars.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For the essentials classes you dont need any equipment. The only class you need it for is colored stones identification, and that is one of the last classes you take to get your GG, so inless you are planning on becomming a colored stones graduate, gemologist, or GG, you wont need all the expensive equipment.

I have been looking on prettyrock.com, and I am thinking about the graduate package they have. It doesnt have a dark field loup though (a must have). And I dont see it on the page at all? I am taking colored stone identification next month and have been slacking in buying the equipment because of the $$$$$. (not to mention that class scares the crap out of me...thus the delay LOL)

ETA: My microscope cost me 50$ on amazon.com. It mags from 10-140x. Inless you want the whole 'expensive microscope' look, I dont see why one like mine wouldnt work. I have been looking at these expensive gem microscopes, and most of them only go up to 80x.

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
Is it possible to do any of the graduate programs completely distant? I''m from texas so it''s not like new Mexico or new York are close places lol

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently, yes. It is better do it on campus but there are very few campuses.
They are sending samples of stones, too. But I spoke to a guy who used to get GG in the 90-es - at that time the GIA would provide the equipment and now you have to buy it yourself. They have a website with recommendations but what they recommend is very expensive - fit for professional appraisers but not for me at this point.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Before anything else I would suggest getting a good microscope. This doesn''t mean expensive. You can get a decent older Bausch and Lomb stereozoom microscope with stand on E-bay for around $300. Adding a fiber optic light source at around $150 to $200 will give you as good a set up as spending $3000 on new stuff. Refractometers and dichroscopes come up on E-bay periodically and you can make your own polariscope if you don''t want to buy a new one. I wouldn''t spend the money on a spectroscope unless you really get into this, since it isn''t needed for getting you gemologist diploma. If you find you have questions about details or equipment, send me a note and I''ll fill you in and send some links for further information and resources. You''ve really got to be careful buying equipment, since some things do take up space and can clutter up one''s work areas. I''ve gone a little nutty over the years and have 6 microscopes in different places around my shop, ("Hey, honey look at the DEAL I just got"...response, "Sigh, not another tool!")

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Michael- your site is broken. None of the links are working.

Cras-Forgive the threadjack

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kayla-
They have a new program starting this year, its GIA Gemologist. It is all the classes you would take for the graduate gemologist, only minus the 3 labs. It is designed so people like us (who live 1000miles from any GIA), can get a gemologist diploma. You learn the same information as a G.G., without the hands on practice at the GIA. From talking to the admissions dept, the available jobs are the same, only you cannot apply for your AGS appraisal cert. But you can get an appraisal cert through most other schools offering gemologist education. It takes 5 years of experiance to even apply at the AGS, so if you want that cert one day there is plenty of time to make it to the lab classes. The other down side, is if you are competing for a job, and the other person is a G.G, they will most likely get it (said by admissions). But if you dont live in a larger city, the chances of a G.G going after the same job as you is pretty slim.

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
Neat, thanks for the information RH.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2010 4:04:13 PM
Author: Michael_E
Before anything else I would suggest getting a good microscope. This doesn''t mean expensive. You can get a decent older Bausch and Lomb stereozoom microscope with stand on E-bay for around $300. Adding a fiber optic light source at around $150 to $200 will give you as good a set up as spending $3000 on new stuff. Refractometers and dichroscopes come up on E-bay periodically and you can make your own polariscope if you don''t want to buy a new one. I wouldn''t spend the money on a spectroscope unless you really get into this, since it isn''t needed for getting you gemologist diploma. If you find you have questions about details or equipment, send me a note and I''ll fill you in and send some links for further information and resources. You''ve really got to be careful buying equipment, since some things do take up space and can clutter up one''s work areas. I''ve gone a little nutty over the years and have 6 microscopes in different places around my shop, (''Hey, honey look at the DEAL I just got''...response, ''Sigh, not another tool!'')

I totally get it. I can not keep anything that can be taken apart in my house - we had bad experience with binoculars and telescopes. So it has to be my work. But then I have kids coming to my office as well! They treat everything like toys, throw my minerals (I have a collection) at each other - hey, that''s what rocks are made for! I have a "hiding place" for equipment, though.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/26/2010 6:55:20 PM
Author: crasru
But then I have kids coming to my office as well! They treat everything like toys, throw my minerals (I have a collection) at each other - hey, that''s what rocks are made for!

I thought I was past that, but ended up with a 5yr old who doesn''t have anywhere else to go. After school he hangs out with me and he has learned very quickly not to mess with the tools. I always threaten him with a roll of duct tape..."You behave or I''m going to tie you to a coat hanger with this duct tape and hang you in the closet until you''re 20" It works every time.
Say, can any of you drop by here with some scissors and undo me, I seem to be wrapped up and stuck to my chair...darn kid.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have this microscope, and it''s excellent.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5X-90X-JEWELRY-GEM-STEREO-MICROSCOPE-DUAL-HALOGEN_W0QQitemZ170271153702QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27a4f39e26
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5X-90X-JEWELRY-GEM-STEREO-MICROSCOPE-DUAL-HALOGEN_W0QQitemZ170271153702QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27a4f39e26

I have had people who had taken the GIA classes, and used their equipment use this scope, and claimed it''s every bit as good, and about 1/8th the price.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, ladies and gentlemen!
Michael - it seems that you are stuck with a kid who is quite a personality!
I shall look at the resources that you have indicated.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results