shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice - setting asscher aqua

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hello! I could really use some advice on how to set my stone. I have a beautiful asscher cut aquamarine. I love it!!! It's about 7 mm per side, beautiful cut and color. It wasn't terribly expensive (less than $500), and I know aquas are soft so might or might not last forever as an every day piece. It's a piece of sentimental value, though, as I bought it to commemorate my son's birth last March.

I think I'd like a simple setting with some neat details. Think Ellen's amazing aqua solitaire.

A nicely made prong solitaire (like WF legato or similar) will run around $700 - $1000. Perhaps more if modifications have to be made to fit the stone.

I also really like the bezel solitaire look. This would be more of a custom type deal and would be around $1000 - $1500 based on quotes I got a few months ago.

Another option is to go with an Etsy jeweler. I haven't gotten quotes, but I imagine it would be less, especially if I had it set in silver. But it might not have the same level of polish that I'd get with one of the major vendors, and silver doesn't seem "mind clean" for a sentimental piece, somehow.

I also love the 3 stone look, either with small asscher diamonds or with baguettes, and double prongs on the aqua. I'm sure this would be beautiful but even more expensive!

I'm just having trouble thinking of spending so much more on the setting than the stone for a simple setting. I could probably even get over that, except that I've heard different things about the durability of an aqua. I know it would last longer if I only wear it occasionally, but it seems silly to spend so much on a special occasion only ring! I could spend more to get something really special, like a bezel or the side stones, but I'd hate to spend over $1000 on a setting for a stone that might not last more than a few years with normal wear
7.gif

A pendant is another option, but I already have several nice necklaces and find that I enjoy rings much more.

Another option is to keep waiting and hope that something perfect shows up at a great price, like on Pearlman's great deals, or that metal prices go down! But I've been hanging on to this stone for 6 months already and I'd really like to get it set so I can enjoy it!

What do you guys think I should do?

laurenfischer5

Shiny_Rock
You should look at the Right Hand Ring section on Leon Mege''s website to get ideas..

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 1:18:24 AM
Author: laurenfischer5
You should look at the Right Hand Ring section on Leon Mege''s website to get ideas..

I know, his work is amazing. The problem is not ideas - I have so many ideas!!! - but reconciling budget with ideas.

Basically, my question is, is it worth spending a lot to set an aquamarine? Will it last? Or should i try to go "on the cheap" and just enjoy it, knowing it won''t last forever?

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 1:22:21 AM
Look at these:

Aqua in the middle with smaller diamonds (asschers, straight or tapered baguettes) on the side?

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=477&mode=search

or

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=453&mode=search

Both are about 1 star on his 5 star price scale..
2.gif

Thanks for the links! I love the second one in particular - but I am quite sure a Leon setting would be much more than $1000, I hate to speculate on how much.

Is it worth setting a beautiful $1000 top of the line setting? Hmm.

laurenfischer5

Shiny_Rock
I think so. My husband had a family aquamarine set for me and I wear it almost every day. I haven''t noticed any wear and I''ve had it for about two years.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Since you''d like this to be something to wear on a daily basis, I''d suggest a more affordable setting. If you''d like to enjoy it more, while making it last a little longer you can set it in a bracelet of some sort, cause they don''t get worn down as quickly as rings. I know silver doesen''t sound very "special", but it''s alll a mind thing. Some centuries ago it was normal to set even the most valuable of diamonds in silver, it was common practice, but nowdays people think silver is OK just for things like amber. So why not think about it. You can have some gold details added onto the silver, or combine elements of other grey metals (like palladium) with it to make an interesting effect. It''s something to consider.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve just set mine (which I think is 9mm) in a very inexpensive LOGR setting. I really like the look and won''t be worried if I need to change the setting later. I didn''t upgrade the diamonds as the are VS grade but I did have to get LOGR to make the head for my stone which was a bit extra. It gives a lot of finger coverage!

This is a link to the setting I used.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370303342940&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Here''s a picture of it:

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I would go with a simple, classic and cheaper setting too. I have mine set in a 4-prong knife-edge done by my local jeweler for about $150 (14 kt. WG). It''s a super clean and simple look.

500x375.aspx

500x375.aspx

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
BEG, my local jeweller would charge about $300 for that setting, and he is the cheapest I''ve found (welcome to the UK!)
39.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 1:25:44 AM
Author: TanDogMom

Date: 2/3/2010 1:22:21 AM
Look at these:

Aqua in the middle with smaller diamonds (asschers, straight or tapered baguettes) on the side?

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=477&mode=search

or

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=453&mode=search

Both are about 1 star on his 5 star price scale..
2.gif

Thanks for the links! I love the second one in particular - but I am quite sure a Leon setting would be much more than $1000, I hate to speculate on how much.

Is it worth setting a beautiful $1000 top of the line setting? Hmm.
Heh, we just had a big discussion on that very topic. To some people it is worth it and to some it is not. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to set an inexpensive stone in an expensive setting if that was what I was envisioning for the stone in question but YMMV.

Aquas aren't as delicate as all that; they won't fall apart if you look at them funny. They will probably get scratched eventually but they don't have clevage and they're generally pretty clean stones so internal inclusions generally aren't an issue like they are with emeralds. As for daily wear, it depends on what your day consist of. If you're a brick layer then you'll have problems. If you work in an office at a computer all day, you should be fine. If you're never going to take off the ring then it'll get worn sooner than if you take it off when you're doing dishes, gardening, etc. It all depends on your lifestyle.

ETA: Also, if you get a prong setting then it's certainly possible to reuse the setting if the stone does get damaged beyond repair (or if it gets repolished and no longer fits the setting.) I'm sure bezel settings can be reused as well but I don't think it's as easy as with a prong setting.

Reenie

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Here is some pics of my aqua asscher set in a custom setting made by Michael E in Washington. It is absolutely gorgeous and i love the organic look of the setting. It was a little bit more expensive than a stock setting as it was custom made but was a very reasonable price (i am based in the UK also).

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/aqua-asscher-ring-arrived-today.117478/

Good luck finding a setting and do post pictures when you get your ring.

Karenx

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were you I'd go with a mid priced setting. I understand your reluctance to use silver although Mr. Ma Re pointed out that everyone used to do it. It's just a cultural mindset we have now that silver = cheaper.

This is a special stone so go for a really nice stock setting, try Wink or Pearlman's etc. Or try to find out what those one star LM settings cost. Maybe you'll be pleasantly suprised!
21.gif

ETA: edited for spelling

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
IMO, what matters is what you''re comfortable spending and how important this piece is to you. I don''t think it matters if the setting costs 2-3x what the stone costs.

It''s not a bargain IMO to pay $250 for a setting you''ll be unhappy with. Better to spend more on a setting you''ll really love.

That said, an Etsy seller might not be a bad idea; you''ll get something handcrafted for a great price, and even though the finish won''t be Leon quality, it''ll look like a handcrafted piece, not like a badly cast stock setting, KWIM? And you could get rhodium-plated silver for a lower price but expensive look. Even 18K from some of the Etsy sellers can be done at a great price, certainly less than you paid for your stone.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I love that LOGR setting that lovingsdiamonds used.

Btw. does anyone know what a one star Leon Mege price means? Or a 1 1/2 star? Its a confusing system to say the least.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A plain basket Leon Mege solitaire runs around $1800. A fancier solitaire will be about $2300. Something with basic one sided pave will be at least $3000, if I’m not mistaken.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I totally forgot to come back and update this thread! I want to thank you each for the suggestions, comments, pics, and ideas! Each of your posts has been very helpful. Thank you. I''ll let you all know when I do get the stone set (however it may be!)

TDM

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results