shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JB44

Rough_Rock
Hi is was wondering if someone in the business could give me some advice on the following:

I am shopping for a ring and was recently confronted by 2 options from a family friend in the business. This person does not normally sell direct to consumers as they work out of an office and sell mainly to retailers and wholesalers.

The first option was an EGL certified 1.82ct VS2 H color stone for $13,500

The second was a uncertified 2.35ct SI2 I color for $12,500.

My first question is are these good prices, they seem to be based on what I have seen retail thus far, and is the larger uncertified stone soemthing I should worry about? Also Is SI2 generally something I would want to stay away from?

Thanks.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
for that kind of money i would require an ags cetificate.

JB44

Rough_Rock
Why AGS? I thought GIA is the most sought after and that EGL and the others are all for the most part accurate.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 stone....from which EGL lab?

#2 stone ....tell him to send it to AGS or GIA.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
AGS slightly better because it gives you more information. GIA second place.

JB44

Rough_Rock
I believe it is EGL US but will check. If you could let me know your opinion for the possible options(US, ISreal, etc) it could be though I would appreciate it.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
EGL Us is definitely better-regarded than EGL Israel. Grading could still be a bit "softer" on EGL US (vs. GIA and AGS) but not to the extent you''d find w/ EGL Israel.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your friend should know what lab location it''s from. Honestly, the prices are a high for uncertified and EGL period.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Are these rounds?

I wouldn''t spend that kind of money on an EGL or a non-graded diamond.

in-situ

Rough_Rock
If I was considering spending the amount you mention, I would insist upon a GIA Certificate. Whilst the debate continues to rage concerning what lab is the "best" it is GIA that is generally considered to be the most consistent & therefore the most respected. Do not purchase any Diamond without certification. You want to be sure that you are getting what you are paying for.

JB44

Rough_Rock
Ok, , I have basically ruled out the uncertified one based on my own guts and your responses here.

The EGL is round, ideal cut, no flourecense, 1.82ct, VS2, H. I am still waiting for my message to be returned on the specific EGL lab.

I wish you could tell me where I can find better prices. I have looked in reputable places in Philly (Sydney Rosen), Boston (GBC jewelry) and in North Jersey and not found anything bigger than 1.75 that is above an SI/I color at better prices.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I would start looking at Whiteflash and Good Old Gold.

in-situ

Rough_Rock
Judging by your post you have so far only considered B&M (Bricks & Mortar) stores. You will find that online prices are far more competitive / realistic. The main reason for this is that online sellers do not have the high overheads associated with maintaining a lease on prime high street / mall real estate.

Any respectable online seller will offer you at least a 30-day money back guarantee. You can use these 30 days to check out the credentials of the Diamond you have ordered against what you have been told, actually see the diamond, and get a real idea of what you are purchasing as opposed to simply viewing a picture (often a library picture), on a computer screen.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock

JB44

Rough_Rock
Hmm, I never really considered doing it over the internet. Always thought of it as good for the research but everyone I know has bought a diamond in person. I appreciate the ideas and input. Please keep any input you have coming on this thread as it is a great help and I appreciate it very much.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i went back and looked at your old posts.

is there a reason why you want extreme colorless DEF and extreme clarity vvs ? can we talk you off the ledge?

j and K face up white and are great value for the money. SI1 is a good choice too. heck I have I-1s that face up clean!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2006 4:36:47 PM
Author: JulieN
Don''t think you''re going to want a 2.5 ct K color...

2 ct J VS2, 13262 with PS discount: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=866293
AGS Ideal cut, great angles, magnified image looks clean.
i like the crown on this one.
36.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Just ocurred to me that if you''ve looked in person in Philly, Boston and Jersey that you could always take a little drive out to Long Island to visit the folks at GOG.
.....for me, getting to see a competitively priced, GREAT CUT internet vendor ''s stone in person would be the best of all worlds!!! Any other PS vendors in the Northeast we could point him towards if he wanted to check things out in person?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2006 4:03:50 PM
Author: JB44
Ok, , I have basically ruled out the uncertified one based on my own guts and your responses here.

The EGL is round, ideal cut, no flourecense, 1.82ct, VS2, H. I am still waiting for my message to be returned on the specific EGL lab.

I wish you could tell me where I can find better prices. I have looked in reputable places in Philly (Sydney Rosen), Boston (GBC jewelry) and in North Jersey and not found anything bigger than 1.75 that is above an SI/I color at better prices.
Okay... how do you know it's ideal cut?

Second... Mark at engagement rings direct has an outstanding rep on here (as does GOG) and he's in the diamond district in NY. As for other good jewelers in the general area you are talking about... my fiance looked in NJ (where we live), in Philly, and NY... finally found what he wanted in DE (this was before Pricescope... otherwise he just would have gone up to NY to see Jon at GOG or Mark at ERD).

ETA: our jeweler in DE is Minster's Jewelers... Will the owner is a diamond broker he will get stones in for you to look at. But, I don't know how his prices compare to ERD and GOG... haven't had cause to check. I know our diamond, and my uncle's wife's diamond which was also purchased there, were both very good buys.

JB44

Rough_Rock
Yeah actually my older posts came before I did ay real resarch or had any first hand real world experience. After shopping for a month or so I have realized that I am fine in a H-I range and VS2 to SI1 rnage as opposed to what I thought everyone had in the beginning stages of this process. I have learned that none of my friends have these high standard rocks I was originally thinking they had.

After looking online it seems that there are stones in the rnage i am looking for at below the 13500 i saw in person. it does appear howeevr that the 1.75-2.0 range in these color clarity grades is at least in the 10-12 k range for the most part. As for why, I am looking in this range, well, like everything in life it comes down to making the lady happy. Unfortunately all of my college friends have already gotten married and i need to compete w/ and be in the same league as them, or else i will hear about it til death do us part.

JB44

Rough_Rock
Hi I have the cert for the 1.82ct EGL stone I was speaking of earlier.

Here is what it says:

Tot Depth: 61.7
Table Width: 57
Crown Height: 15
Pavil Depth: 44
Girdle Thickness: Thin Faceted
Polish: VG
Sym: Excellent
Culet: None
Flour: None
Graining: None
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Measurements: 7.9 - 7.86 - 4.86
Comments: Ideal Cut

What are everyone's thoughts?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
when you look at this one, does it have a dark center?

JB44

Rough_Rock
not really, why?

i asked other jewelers (not the one selling it) about the measurements and they said they seemed fine.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
it is slightly deep, so have em set it high in the setting.

JB44

Rough_Rock
interesting. thanks for the advice i will make sure to address that w/ the jeweler.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right. well, it''s not my cup of tea. put the stone against a black background, preferably like a sweater or something soft that will curve around the pavilion blocking all back lighting...then if it''s still good to go, that''s cool.

In other news... http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=860713 looks like it has great potential to be eye-clean.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results