shape
carat
color
clarity

advice please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nargold

Rough_Rock
Here''s the info on a diamond that I have found. I thought it a great deal as it is AGS000 and an SI2 with inclusions that are so hard to see that the woman at the store was having trouble distinguishing this one from a VS1 of the same size. I just ran the numbers on the cut advisor and was somewhat disappointed that it scored a 3.3 when I ran the angles (but a 1.9 when I ran the % for crown and pavillion). Could some knowledgabe people on this forum offer me some advice? Thanks in advance.

7.06-7.14 x 4.36
1.33 ct.
Depth - 61.4
Table - 56.0
Girdle - thin-medium
Culet - none
Crown - 35.2 (15.3%)
Pavillion - 41.1 (43.4)
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Color - E
Clarity - SI2
Price - $7600

blingy

Rough_Rock
I''m not trying to
29.gif
you, but if the lady at the store can''t find the problems in a SI2, you have a problem :)

I don''t understand spending all that money for a LARGE ring, when anyone who looks close can see visible inclusions.
33.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on the store! Unfortunately, in some stores that might actually be the case
27.gif

chantheman

Rough_Rock
In the past there has been some real discussion on PS regarding crown angles greater than 35 and pavillion angles greater than 41. The concensus seems to be that 35/41 is the point at which light leakage becomes a problem. Light leakage is bad as diamond performance will suffer if light leaks out of the bottom or sides of the stone as opposed to being reflected back at the eye of a viewer.

Running the HCA with the angles is the best way to calculate if you have the angles available to you.

While a 3.3 is certainly not a terrible score, I can understand your disappointment. Remember, your eye is the final determiner of beauty. I would personally pass on the stone as I believe there will most likely be better performers.

If you like the way the stone looks and it performs well in a variety of lighting conditions then buy it and don''t look back.
I would still recommend you have the stone appraised by an independent if this is possible.

The size you are looking for is a very popular sub 1.5 so be patient and you will find something beautiful.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure if you are committed to buying in-store, but a quick search found some stones that seemed like obvious picks over yours:

1.34 D SI2 1.9HCA for $7798 nice looking ideal-scope (I''d call it H&A but I''m not an expert)
And look how big it spreads with that depth . . . about 0.12 mm bigger than the one you were looking at.

1.28 D SI2 AGS0 0.8HCA for $7122 "Signature Ideal"

Both of these vendors have great reviews, so I am sure they would help you determine if the inclusions are bothersome or not.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results