shape
carat
color
clarity

advice please? finally getting something set

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
hello again! it seems like it''s been forever since I last posted, but I''d really like some help

I''ve done tons of searching on the right way to do this, but have gotten really confused. Some of you may remember the sapphire my fiance and I purchased waaaaay back in july-ish, well now after tons of saving, setbacks, saving some more, more setbacks, etc (life of the college student
20.gif
) we can finally get it set!! woohoo. since the sucker has been sitting in a safety deposit box, and I''ve been reading its complicated to get insurance on loose gems we don''t have any.

I''d like to do this right. Do I get an appraisal for the loose gem, get insurance, get it set, then redo the insurance? mind boggling. Do I actually need an appraisal for insurance, or just the purchase receipts? I''m not even really sure if I''m asking the right questions, but you guys are so knowledgeable I just know I''ll be pointed in the right direction
9.gif
12.gif

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
These are questions that you should ask whoever is going to insure the stone. If you have any question about the person setting it I would make sure to have insurance against breakage prior to having it set. That said the chances of damaging a sapphire during setting are very low, so probably more of an imagined issue than a real one.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
thank you, I will be sure to ask plenty of questions before proceeding.
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the chance of damage to a sapphire during the setting process is low. Not to scare you but it is still possible. I’ve just received my cobalt spinel back from the jeweller and noticed facet damage at the site of a prong. I’ve sent the ring back to the lapidary to examine it to see if he can cover up the damage somewhat. Granted, a spinel isn’t as tough or hard as a sapphire but they are decently close. You can bet I’m never going back to this jeweller again. Since it is a very important stone to you, I’m sure that you are selecting your jeweller very carefully, making sure that he/she is very skilled.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results