shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on timing and a complicated situation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Zedeff

Rough_Rock
I know I don''t have a lot of posts under my belt, but I''ve done hours and hours of reading on this site, just never felt qualified to contribute. Hopefully some ladies can offer some advice on this situation for me.

I''m a medical student in my final year of studies. In the last few months of medical school you have a "blank" schedule - students make their own schedule, as a means of getting some exposure to other schools where they can then apply for jobs. What that means for me is that for the next 4 months, I''m travelling a lot. I basically alternate 3 weeks at home and then 3 weeks in another province from now until early February.

I ordered a Tacori ring (2579) with an emerald cut diamond in mid August hoping that it would arrive before I started travelling, but after 7 weeks I''m still waiting on the ring and I''m already out of town on my first rotation. Pictures to come when I actually have the ring.

My concern is that now that I''m into this on-again-off-again schedule, is it really fair to propose while I''m home and then take off and abandon her for 3 weeks? This is kind of a stressful time in both our lives; even if we went out for a nice dinner or something while I''m home, I''m worried that our minds would be focussed on the fact that we''re separating again shortly and not just enjoying each other''s company.

On the other hand, if I already have the ring and the opportunity, why wait?

To put it bluntly, would you prefer to be in limbo for 4 months, or be engaged but alone?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would much rather be engaged but alone.

I would be sad to be apart for 3 weeks but excited to know that my FI would be coming home to me soon.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with TooPatient.

I say, propose on the first day you get back from your next 3 week stint away, so you have a full 3 weeks together to celebrate.

LittleLovely

Rough_Rock
I''m an MS4 as well, so I understand what you''re going through.

I say don''t wait. There are several reasons why I think sooner is better than later:

1. If you''ll be gone often for the next 4 months, she can pass the time looking at wedding stuff! Or staring at her pretty ring! Believe me, she''ll be very happy.
2. It''s so much fun to be engaged over the holidays. There''re all those family gatherings and parties, so it''s nice to be able to share good news.
3. I don''t know if you want to get married before intern year or try to fit it in sometime during your residency, but in any case, there''ll be 4 more months of planning! That may make things easier.
4. When you''re on interviews, it sounds so much better to say "my fiancee" than "my girlfriend." Really.
5. Your soon-to-be fiancee will thank you.

Good luck on in the interview trail.

Vancity

Shiny_Rock
Hi Zedeff,

Congratulations on your pending engagement
36.gif

Believe me, once you put that gorgeous Tacori 2579 on her finger, she''ll barely notice you''re gone...or even in the room, for that matter! (hehe...just kidding!
9.gif
)

Life is short...don''t wait to enjoy the good stuff
2.gif

~Allyson

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to all of the above. Propose when you get back from a rotation...enjoy it for 3 weeks, and then you can look forward to coming home to your fiancee the next time!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results