shape
carat
color
clarity

advice on this S1 & girdle ''''''''defects''''''''

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

reedvalve

Rough_Rock

Hi folks,

Been lurking here for a little while as I try to learn enough about diamonds to make an informed purchase. Based on what I''ve read (and my budget), I''m going to trade off the clarity for the other variables.

What do you folks think about this diamond. Its is an AGS ideal 0 round brilliant of G color. It is 0.62cwt, SI1 and about $1800 at a reputable online retailer. I looked at dozens of AGS certificates to try and find an SI1 with very few inclusions. This one meets these criteria but the defects are near the edges (see the attached pic of the ags certificate). Is it generally inadvisable to purchase a diamond with fractures so close to the girdle?

FYI, its also features:

Depth % 62
Table % 57
Crown Angle % 34.7
Pavilion Angle % 41.2
Culet pointed

Thanks in advance for your advice!
EThan

ags-ef.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Reed you are making a classic mistake of thinking you can make predictions about a diamond by looking at certs etc.

If you buying an unseen stone you need a good honest person to eyeball the stone, and or an independant appraiser.

A little info has made you a dangerous expert.

Girdle bearding is rarely a durability issue.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Please explain the term 'girdle bearding', if you would Gary. Thanks.

Is this what you mean? (taken from another info site)

Girdle fringes, or bearding, are stress hair-like lines that can occur around the girdle during the cutting process. Minimal bearding is usually not a problem, but extensive fringing can often be polished away or removed by recutting the diamond.

Is this what is going on with Reed's prospective stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results