shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on shared prong engagement ring - possible change of head/prongs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Indecisive,

It's hard to say what kind of damage might result from this kind of setting. It depends on how much contact there is between diamonds and how careful you are with your rings. It could be just fine, it could result in microscopic abrading of the girdles (no big deal to me) or, at worst, it could result in chipped diamonds now and again. I don't think anything disastrous could happen. You just want to be more aware of your rings with this type of setting. I am not married yet, so it remains to be seen how much of a problem it is. One easy solution is to solder the rings together so that they don't rub against each other. I 'm not crazy about this idea, but if worse comes to worse I might have to. I don't mean to discourage you from getting this type of ring. I love mine and get compliments on it all the time. It is a VERY sparkly look.

As for the space between the bands, it doesn't bother me much. The picture you are seeing is very close up. The space does not look that big in person or on my hand. There is no space on the bottom of the rings, just a bit at the top. I prefer a low setting, so I was willing to make that compromise.

Mara's rings are not shared prong. Each diamond is held in place by 4 little prongs. Therefore, the diamonds don't hang over the edge the way they do in a shared prong. The sides of her rings are flat so that there is a nice fit between the two.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/14/2005 2:32:10 PM
Author: Demelza
Indecisive,

Mara''s rings are not shared prong. Each diamond is held in place by 4 little prongs. Therefore, the diamonds don''t hang over the edge the way they do in a shared prong. The sides of her rings are flat so that there is a nice fit between the two.
*looking at pictures of Mara''s rings compared to others''*

Ah, so it is!

It looks so similar though. Do you think that style more expensive to have made? It being safer for the itty bitty diamonds would be better. Especially as I would ideally like flush bands.

bvt

Rough_Rock
I am also researching the idea of customizing a head for a shared prong band, so I''m thankful for this thread. I would like to have an Asscher mounted on a shared prong band, on a said "peg mount."

I love the Daniel K basket setting but I am not sure it''s physically possible or stable to modify such a head for a peg. Any ideas/experience?

BTW I was told by Robbins Diamonds in DE/PA that they could easily put the Ritani basket on the Memoire band, but I can''t quite picture it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2005 12:35:49 PM
Author: bvt

I love the (DK) basket setting but I am not sure it''s physically possible or stable to modify such a head for a peg. Any ideas/experience?
There are basket heads on pegs, but those would not look like the D.K. ring. The peg has to go into metal, so the respective setting are high and need some metal band underneath - totally different.

If the low profile is what you like about basket settings, the basket-on-peg manufacturing shortcut just defeats that purpose.

On the other hand, I can''t see why a pave or otherwise "eternity style" band could not be matched with a basket head (if this is what you want - I am just guessing from the context of the thread).

Like this one at NiceIce: LINK

Or this version from Icestore (LINK) that seems reasonably close in construction to WF''s rings (especially Demelza''s) as far as I can tell. The band is set differently, but that doesn''t affect the way the head of the ring connects to it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a "basket on peg" setting:

radiantem_basket.jpg

And the pic below tries to show how a basket setting might fit with a diamond-set band.

Hope some of this helps.
1.gif

PegsAndBaskets.JPG

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Thaaaaaaank you Valeria!!!!

Where did you get this pic?

radiantem_basket.jpg

It looks like it suits maybe an emerald cut - did they have any ones for more round stones?

Thanks heaps for that and all the pics, they are really helpful and make it much easier for me to visualize
1.gif

3ctdiamond

Rough_Rock
i am looking for that exact ring!!!! where did you find it??? thank you in advance!!!

ering%202441.jpg

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I answered your PM......the setting was at my local jewelers...the head needed to be replaced to accomodate the size of my stone......I tired to get something not too high or too low, so I got that one!!!!

They have settings/bands similar to it at Facets and I think Whiteflash has similar settings....and other places have them , too.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results