shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on Resetting my Mom''''''''s Harry Winston

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,
I''m new here but have learned so much from reading-what a great site!

My mom has a harry winston ring with a sapphire center and baguettes on either side. She''s resetting the sapphire and told me I could use the setting for my future e-ring. The trouble is, it''s in yellow gold which I don''t love. I''d really like white gold or platinum. Harry Winston told her it would be around $3500 to reset the ring in platinum-isn''t that outrageous?

So-do people think it would be cheaper to get it in white gold, and is there some cheaper way for me to keep the same band (for sentimental and shallow, brand-related resons!) but have it in white gold or platinum? I''m hoping to get a center cushion stone from one of the on-line vendors recommended on this site. (Not sure if it matters if they keep the sapphire in while it''s re-set-I doubt HW would re-set it if the diamond wasn''t bought from them)

Thanks so much. Unfortunately no pics since it''s with my mom still. one day though...

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
Have you considered having the ring plated? That way it would still be the same ring underneath. I''m sure someone else can tell you more about the process and the cost to do that...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
$3500 is pretty steep to change the setting to plat. I personally wouldn''t mess with trying to change a HW ring by dipping it. I would think it would decrease the brand name value unless . Why not keep the HW as is for sentimental reasons, even put a CZ in it or something until you can replace the stone and use it as a RHR and get something else for your e-ring. I agree that it is doubtful HW would set a diamond that wasn''t bought from them, but you could aways ask.

1sophia

Rough_Rock
I would keep it original. Eventually, yellow gold will be all the rage again and you will have a fantastic setting when that time comes. I believe it''s not far off for yellow gold to be popular again. An original Harry Winston is fab! If I had it I would love the fact it is yellow gold and doesn''t look like everyone elses setting.

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all of your suggestions! I was wondering about gold plating. I don''t think I''d ever sell the ring, but it''s probably not a good idea to plate it if it would decrease the value. It''s hard to imagine I''ll ever like yellow gold since it doesn''t look good on my complexion and I didn''t like it even when I was little-but who knows! Trends are pretty influential!

I haven''t even tried on the ring, so maybe I''ll like it better than I thought in yellow. Even if I had the money, now that I''m so educated with Pricescope I could never see myself spending $3500 to get something re-set!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Shinythings...

Usually YG jewelry is Rhodium plated to make it appear white. It has to be redone occasionally if the ring gets lots of wear and tear, but it''s not too expensive.

You might ask your jeweler (or an expert here) if it''s reversable. It would seem to me that if it is, then it shouldn''t affect the value of the piece...

widget

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think leaving it YG is a great idea - and that perhaps having a Yellow center stone (diamond or sapphire) might make it seem a bit more chic?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results