shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on RB''s and setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mae

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and seeking some advice. I tried a posting yestday, but I am not sure if didn''t ask the right questions for guidance. I know the dealer that contacted me is reputable, and I trust them, but I would like some opinions from you all. I am considering a RB for a Halo setting, have not decided on bezel or prong setting. Should I be concerned over the fact that the settings are 14k white gold? Is there a significant difference between a prong or bezel setting in terms of the appearance of the diamond once set? As this will be my first purchase I am not sure. Also, I have a basic understanding of the 4c''s, but in terms of the more detailed characteristics I am at a loss. They offered to quote me a price to do the setting in Platinum, but if it is not a major concern then I assume save the extra cash. I look forward to your thoughts and comments.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2408727.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2362068.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2416684.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2416683.htm<a

Settings:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Halo-Bezel-Ring-By-WF_940.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Halo-Prong-Ring-by-WF_941.htm
20.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem...is that it''s too hard to choose between four awesome stones, but they are so different.

There''s a big difference between 1 ct and 1.2 cts.

Is the E SI1 eyeclean?

Do you want absolute top cut, or is half a tick below absolute top cut fine?

mae

Rough_Rock
Thanks Julie!

As for the E SI1 being eye clean I am not sure. And as for being an absolute top cut, I would still be interested in a "tick" below as long as it is not a glaring difference to the unaided eye. I am so new to this that it is hard for me to picture what the differences would be.

Would the 1c look just as impressive as the 1.2c with a halo setting, or is it really that big of a difference? Also, do you prefer the prong or bezel better regardless of size?

Thanks for your comments.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you look up "Shay," I think she has a WF halo.

mae

Rough_Rock
Julie,

Thanks for the lead, those photos look great and it is a .7c RB, I am impressed. Would you say that the prong setting gives a more brilliant appearance? Also, it appears that Shay got one in platinum, when they mention that to be stable it should be approximately 2.5mm what does that refer to? Thanks again.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
have you seen prong set and bezel set rings in person? That would be the only way to know which you''d prefer.

mae

Rough_Rock
I have not. My initial mind set was to visit local B&M stores to buy a ring, this weekend actually because my gf will be out of town. Then I started to spend some serious time reading posts on PS and up until WF called me I was still going to utilize a B&M for my purchase. Now, I am sold on the WF halo and my reservations about purchasing online have been dissolved thanks to reading many of your posts. But, it sounds like I should still visit a B&M in person to check it out. I guess I am tentative to visit a B&M after hearing all the horror stories. I still would like some thoughts on the setting material if anyone feels compelled to comment - 14k white gold. Thanks again.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I think 14k is an excellent choice for that ring style. It''s a lot harder and tougher than 18k, and I think it''s less, er, bendy than Platinum which is just hideously expensive anyway. In other words, the little diamonds will stay in better. 14k will be whiter than 18k after some wear and quite frankly I''ve never been able to tell the difference.
The only real reason to prefer 18k over 14k is because it''s mentally percieved as a ... um.. classier (or something) metal for an e-ring. As far as practical and visual considerations go, 14k is preferrable IMHO. (this only applys to 14k and 18k white gold)
35.gif

Oh, and just my 2c''s, I love the bezel halo look. very classy and modern.
5.gif

mae

Rough_Rock
Thanks IndieJones,

I guess I am not as concerned about perception, but about the security of the diamonds and the appearance of the ring after some wear. I have read on other threads about a yellowing of the ring. I guess it is a chance I''ll have to take with the make up of her skin, I guess that''s how it works? I am so excited about this upcoming purchase I just want to make sure it is absolutely peeeeeerfect for her! I just looked at the halo thread on show me your rings I got so excited. So many of them look wonderful. Thanks for your thoughts.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn''t there the theory that the malleability of platinum is good for pave and bead set because it helps melee from popping out?

I don''t think you have to worry about plat patina, because there isn''t too much metal showing, anyway. Besides, the patina look and halos complement each other.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i prefer platinum. party because of good marketing by the platinum guild
40.gif
and also because I like the weight and feel of it. I also like the look and patina it gets. I have a 14K WG ring that has yellowed. Most people just get them re-plated and it''s not a big deal.

definitely go to your B & M just to look at at and try on settings to get and idea of what you are going to buy. many times rings look very different in person than magnified on the internet. also, many styles I liked online did not look good on my hand. So going and seeing them in person is very wise IMO.

mae

Rough_Rock
Lost my reply????

Thanks for your responses.

Could you point me in the direction of a thread that shows a picture or explanation of what exactly patina is??? Obviously, I am showing my ignorance here. Also, if a 14k WG setting is between $1800 and $1900, what is estimate of how much that same setting would be in platinum. Julie, if it was your choice would you pay the extra $$ for platinum for this particular setting?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2006 7:42:44 PM
Author: mae
Lost my reply????

Thanks for your responses.

Could you point me in the direction of a thread that shows a picture or explanation of what exactly patina is??? Obviously, I am showing my ignorance here. Also, if a 14k WG setting is between $1800 and $1900, what is estimate of how much that same setting would be in platinum. Julie, if it was your choice would you pay the extra $$ for platinum for this particular setting?
Do you have old silver? That''s patina. It''s all the little scratches that diffuse the light and make it look soft and dreamy (or to people who don''t like it, dull and grey
20.gif
.) There are some pictures on PS somewhere.

I''m no help; I''m a yellow gold girl.
30.gif
I''d just ask WF which they recommend. I''m sure they wouldn''t be using white gold if it didn''t "work."

mae

Rough_Rock
I think I really like this stone, if it was your decision which of the two would you all choose based on this info, I don''t know if they are eye-clean?

AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 1.017
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60.4
Table: 56.6
Crown Angle: 34.6
Crown %: 15.1
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Pavilion %: 43.1
Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.54-6.56X3.95

or

AGS
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 1.116
Color: E
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60.4
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 34.8
Crown %: 15.3
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 42.9
Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick Faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.73-6.76X4.08

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check if the E is eye-clean...the inclusions seem so obvious to me...

mae

Rough_Rock
Julie,

You are right about trusting you guys at WF, particularly after all the good comments about WF of PS, it''s just that so much has been said about platinum and maybe it is just a fad for now. I''ll have to get over it because I love the setting and I know Jackie will appreciate it even more. I don''t see the inclusions on the E, I looked at the magnified version and also the Ideal-scope. Maybe I just don''t have an eye for these things. I noticed some inclusions on the last stone in my first post. I guess for similar prices it might be worth getting the ACA? Thanks!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoops, sorry, I was looking at the wrong E SI1. Actually, I can see the inclusions on the G SI1 under 10x mag...there''s one right in the middle and there''s something at the bottom of the 135 degree arrow shaft. Ask WF if it''s eye-clean?

mae

Rough_Rock
I''ll ask about the ACA in terms of being eye-clean, I too noticed the inclusion in the middle on the 40x and ideal-scope. As for the E SI1 1.116c I did not notice any inclusions on the 40x or Ideal-scope. Are the dimensions ideal for that stone?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, they''re both good.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results