shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on getting a ruby for my ER

missPiggy

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I've been lurking around this side of the forum for weeks now :wavey: Newbie trying to find a good quality ruby for my ER. I think I found a seller that I feel comfortable with, there are a couple of good reviews in this forum as well on wildfishgems. I tried speaking to several jewelers in Sydney, but all of them said that it will be very difficult finding a stone that fits my criteria. Ed, on the other hand is very helpful and I don't feel like he's rushing me.

I've been reading up on rubies and I have a set of criteria/budget. It's something like:
- Origin: Burma
- Color: Red/dark-ish red, no pink tone
- Carat: >0.5
- Shape: round/oval/cushion (or...anything but heart)
- No treatment
I don't have a clear idea on the ring style because I just want a good stone and match the ring with the stone shape.

One thing that I'm not sure about is the origin of the stone. I really want the ring to be something that can be handed down, so I can't help but wondering if the origin of the stone will have a big impact on the value. I know that rubies from Burma compared to others with the similar quality will fetch a higher price now, is this always the case?

Here's a link to a stone that I really like: http://wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/10910/16350 Everything match my criteria, but it's from Mozambique rather than Burma....so I'm not sure if I should wait for a similar one from Burma to come along or if I should get this one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :twirl:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at that Wildfish ruby - please note that the dimensions stated on the AIGS report (last in the "more images" series) do not match the dimensions stated in the Measures description of the ruby. Also, though the description says it is only red and never pink, the photo images on my screen do show a pinkish-red. Finally, not sure but some of the photos seem to show a window? which very well could close up in the right setting. All that said, as long as Wildfish is able to provide a reasonable explanation as to the discrepancy in posted mm dimensions, if it otherwise meets all your criteria, unless provenance outweighs all the other considerations, I would think it would be worth buying so you can inspect it in person.

Have you checked out Richard Wise's website at all? Everything is 30% off, and he's got this 1.15ct Burma ruby listed which looks to be a red beauty and well-cut... http://www.rwwise.com/products/id|734 - with the discount it would be $6560. Richard's listing doesn't specify treatment, so if you want untreated/unheated you'd have to check with him on that. Regardless, if it were me I'd want the sale contingent on an AGL Prestige Report showing Burma origin and untreated/heat only.

missPiggy

Rough_Rock
Thanks marymm! I hadn't noticed the discrepancy between the certification details and the listed details. As for the window...I might need to do some more research on that. I'm sure I've read it somewhere, but can't remember what it means haha

I'll definitely checkout the Richard Wise! I looked at several random website from one of the pinned thread, and wildfish seems to have the stones that caught my eye. That ruby from Richard Wise sure is pretty *drool*

Quick question...is heat treatment something that is pretty common? I seem to get the impression that treatments on a ruby is something that is very common, but not sure how much this affects the value.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The RW ruby looks very nice; I like a touch of purple better than orange, rounds are very uncommon, it is unheated, origin is a bonus and price after the discount makes it extra attractive.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I like the 2nd RW ruby too -- the 1st one looks a little dark & setting it would increase that. This 2nd one is well cut, seems to have more dispersion. I'm not crazy about the cutting on the Wildfish ruby. I like them more toward the purplish than orangeish, but the important part to you is that it looks red red. The price makes it very tempting.

I haven't bought rubies so won't advise as to origin vs. value, but you want to hand it down anyhow, not sell it. And, of course wear & love it. :love: If it's a good unheated stone, it will make a beautiful ring that not only has intrinsic value but emotional as well, for whomever inherits it. Not a consideration with this one, since it's Burma.

--- Laurie

missPiggy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments, I've emailed them and just trying to arrange everything now. Very excited!!

Oh...and I might buy one of the colorful stone they have on sale as a wee present for myself :naughty:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow love that 2nd RW stone, to me that is absolutely stunning :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had just seen that .82 ruby the other day and thought it was stunning, even more so than the more expensive one from him.... i hop that works out for you, its really really lovely...

Had you thought any more about the design? I think a simple three stone with round sides would be really pretty. yellow gold.... at least, thats how i imagined wearing it when i saw it :love: :love: :love: Cant wait to see whatever you do with it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although RW describes his stone as "sporting purplish red", it looks as if there is more orange in it to me. In the GRS report I see no information on hue and saturation although the stone is described as red. It seems as if RW himself provides that, and provides nothing on how much pink, orange, purple, and red there is in it by percentage. I have never read one of those certs. Am I missing something? Can someone help me with it so that I can decipher it? Chrono?

Deb/AGBF
:wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1374435549|3487335 said:
Although RW describes his stone as "sporting purplish red", it looks as if there is more orange in it to me. In the GRS report I see no information on hue and saturation although the stone is described as red. It seems as if RW himself provides that, and provides nothing on how much pink, orange, purple, and red there is in it by percentage. I have never read one of those certs. Am I missing something? Can someone help me with it so that I can decipher it? Chrono?

Deb/AGBF

that strange becasue just to my untrained eye i see purple, especially face on

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1374437478|3487342 said:
Although RW describes his stone as "sporting purplish red", it looks as if there is more orange in it to me.

It's from Burma, not Thailand. You should see purple. I see a brown tinge. And an orange. It must be me. See this thread for another example of how monitors and people's eyes differ:

Different Colors Seen...[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/red-spinel-to-be-set-by-steven-kirsch.191345/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/red-spinel-to-be-set-by-steven-kirsch.191345/[/URL]

Deb
:saint:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1374439743|3487361 said:
Niel|1374437478|3487342 said:
Although RW describes his stone as "sporting purplish red", it looks as if there is more orange in it to me.

It's from Burma, not Thailand. You should see purple. I see a brown tinge. And an orange. It must be me. See this thread for another example of how monitors and people's eyes differ:

Different Colors Seen...[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/red-spinel-to-be-set-by-steven-kirsch.191345/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/red-spinel-to-be-set-by-steven-kirsch.191345/[/URL]

Deb
:saint:

why did you say this? is it more common to see orange in burma rubies than and purple in thailand? :read: and yes you're right monitors differ, but i was just saying to my eyes I could see why thats written in the description.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1374441218|3487371 said:
why did you say this? is it more common to see orange in burma rubies than and purple in thailand? :read: and yes you're right monitors differ, but i was just saying to my eyes I could see why thats written in the description.

I understood that you were telling us what you saw, Niel. I was just confirming that you were seeing what you should have been seeing given the composition of Burmese verus Thai rubies! Burmese rubies tend to have more purple in them and Thai rubies tend to have more brown and/or orange.

AGBF

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I 4th or 5th the R. Wise stone. I love the color and the shape.

And the provenance of a Burmese Ruby is quite special.

missPiggy

Rough_Rock
Ohh...I hope it's purple, I don't really like orange/pinkish tint in rubies :???:

Niel, I'm not sure about the design. I've been trying rings like there's no tomorrow hahaha At first I thought a simple design with 1-2 side stones (diamonds)...but at out last ring hunt session, I also like a small halo model http://www.larsenjewellery.com.au/engagement-rings/designs/serenity-brilliant-2/2 The girl was kind enough to color the sample ring to help me imagine how it's going to look like. I'm sure I've seen a similar design in the Colored stones E-ring thread :lickout:

The reason why I'm leaning towards white gold/platinum is because I feel bad if my fiance has to wear a yellow wedding ring. Anyone has any experience with combining yellow/white gold for wedding/E-ring?

Very excited....we're trying to sort out pricing etc now. I'm also thinking of getting one of these:
http://www.rwwise.com/products/id|1679
http://www.rwwise.com/products/id|2053
http://www.rwwise.com/products/id|2031
Any thoughts?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why would your FI have to wears yellow gold one is you do? I had never heard they have to match. If for some reason you wanted them to you could always get a tiffany style where its platinum with a yellow gold mill grained edge, though.

A halo would be pretty too. I think you could find a better quality than the one you posted, but the idea is pretty.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb,
AGL is the only lab that breaks down the colour into its various colour components (red into orange, purple and red); no other lab does this. Not SSEF, not GIA, not GRS, etc. As to Burma vs Thai, there are always exceptions and photography / monitors vary. There are very good rubies from Thailand sold as Burmese and Mong Hsu rubies are also from Burma.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can understand wanting a white metal such as platinum but also knowing that a yellow metal brings out the red better in a ruby. A possible compromise of sorts is to have a 2 toned ring - the halo and shank will be white whilst the portion holding the ruby will be in yellow.

Pink Tourmaline - I'm not sure about this one. This pictures shows a brown stone but the description says it is pink. Therefore, I don't know what it really looks like.
Amethyst - Looks like a regular amethyst other than being well cut. I prefer those with either red or blue flash, or even both.
Peridot - Of all your choices, I would go for this one. Generally, peridot isn't my thing but this one is better coloured than most.

er88500000c_main.jpg

missPiggy

Rough_Rock
:( Just got an email from Richard that they had a mixed up at the shop...the stone has been put sold to someone else. He has another stone in stock from Mozambique, 1.06 carat pigeon's blood color but don't have a proper photograph yet. I'm back to my original question...how important is the origin?

Niel/Chrono, I haven't put too much thought in it. But I do agree that a ruby looks so pretty when paired with yellow gold. So I might have to do my homework and checkout rings that combined both yellow/white gold.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's wait to see the colour first. If it is comparable, I would not mind it one bit. Also unheated? Comes with a reputable lab report? Pricing should be slightly less than the Burmese one.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missPiggy|1374570938|3488343 said:
:( Just got an email from Richard that they had a mixed up at the shop...the stone has been put sold to someone else. He has another stone in stock from Mozambique, 1.06 carat pigeon's blood color but don't have a proper photograph yet. I'm back to my original question...how important is the origin?

Niel/Chrono, I haven't put too much thought in it. But I do agree that a ruby looks so pretty when paired with yellow gold. So I might have to do my homework and checkout rings that combined both yellow/white gold.

I know it is unscientific of me, but there was something in the way that stone glowed (on my monitor) that I did not like. I hope you are not too sad at losing it, missPiggy. I know there is a perfect red ruby out there for you! I hope you find it soon.

Hugs,
Deb

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
missPiggy|1374570938|3488343 said:

Color, cut, clarity, shape and origin... in that order, for me.

However since this stone is going to be for an engagement ring, and people will be asking you many times throughout the years "Where, when, how etc..." a stone with note worthy origin becomes a bit more significant. That's assuming you're willing to admit to a bit of vanity, which I can certainly attest to in myself. :saint:

;-)

missPiggy

Rough_Rock
Yes unheated. I've asked for the report ID so I can checkout the report online. Will let you guys know when I get a response. The price is a bit more expensive than the Burmese because it was 0.8-ish carat and this one is 1 carat.

Thanks Deb, I just thought the stone looks shiny and red....and the price is great so I like it :lol:

GregS....yeah..it's vanity, I just want to make sure that I can get the best ruby within my budget just because it's for my ER :oops:

missPiggy

Rough_Rock
Thought I'd post a quick update...got the certificate yesterday but still waiting for the photos. The suspense is killing me!

It's a GRS certificate and there's a special note in it to say that the vivid red has a similar saturation observed in pigeon blood color. I kinda the know the answer to this question, but still going to ask anyway....is it silly to buy a stone based on the certificate or should I insist on seeing the photos first? :tongue:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not silly but not a wise decision either. We buy stones, not lab memos so I would still want to see the stone first.

missPiggy

Rough_Rock
Okay...here it is http://www.rwwise.com/products/id,2056

The color looks okay to me. I've only seen about 10 rubies in person so far and still don't have any experience comparing the photographed color with the actual stone color. He said that it looks very similar to the original one that I like.

I think we're going to go for it :)) What do you guys think?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it. But then again, I know nothing of rubies. But the red is really pretty. And the clarity looks good too!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd get it home and see how you desk in person.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given that it is a clearance item, what is the return policy? The yellow background is making the ruby look "off" and I would want to see it in person. The fact that it has medium to strong fluorecence is very encouraging.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results