shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on engagement ring (buying online)

greygoospa

Rough_Rock
Hi Team,

Looking to finally pull the trigger on an engagement ring.
Ive been doing my research and found the following diamond at a local online store(Australia),
I haven't seen it in person, so hoping to get some advice from the internet people.
The diamond is within my budget and the general specs of what Im looking for, just wondering if anyone can spot anything in the video or specs that I should be concerned about.

Thanks!!

You can view the video here:
https://view.gem360.in/gem360/1304210643-4240/gem360-1304210643-4240.html

Carat: 1.03ct
Color:G
Clarity: VS2
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Ratio: 1.44
Measurement: 8.27 X 5.76 X 3.56mm
Table Depth: 58.5%
Crown Height: 13.5%
Total Depth: 61.8%
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Culet: None/Pointed

headlight

Ideal_Rock
These are not proportions that are visibly appealing to me. Crown height too low, table too large.

greygoospa

Rough_Rock
These are not proportions that are visibly appealing to me. Crown height too low, table too large.

Thanks @headlight,

Why dont you like a large table?
I thought a large table was better, it makes it look like the diamond is larger(caret) than it actually is.

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
Large table + shallow crown is not a favorable combo for a nice fiery stone. From the side, it can have an unflattering shape like a flat pancake look.

ETA: comments above refer to modern round brilliant. Reviewed the video and the darkness in the center of the oval diamond seem to remain dark as it rotates in the video. Would prefer to facets of an oval flash on and off as the diamond rotates.

Last edited:

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Larger tables and shallower crowns tend to produce more white than colored return, meaning the stone can appear brighter than others. Some, like me, prefer this “flavor” of ideal round brilliant. Others don’t. Preference, really.

I have an AGS000 60/60 style stone and I love it. Your mileage may vary.

that being said that is for rounds and i would shy away from trying to apply standard proportions to an oval or other fancy shape.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @headlight,

Why dont you like a large table?
I thought a large table was better, it makes it look like the diamond is larger(caret) than it actually is.
Hi… if you’ve seen it and like it then go for it! Just be sure you’ve compared to other stones of same shape.
Does this have a lab report? Which lab? In the still shot on the video, see the 2 black areas? Make sure that is just from the video and not what you see when you hold the ring and look straight on. Yes, there can be a little bow tie affect but make sure it is as minimal as can be.
Avg mm for 1 ct oval is 7.7mm and this stone is 8.2mm . Just make sure it isn’t too flat top on profile for your liking (and remember it will be mounted so that could affect this). Really important is to compare to other ones, even at other stores (as your store may have more of the same level of cut) so you see a lot of examples. And check it under various lighting, not just their fancy lights. Also, I don’t think you should have any issues with a VS2, but you need to check the plot. With that said, if the lab isn’t one of the highly respected ones, we cannot assume true VS clarity (same for color).

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I want to add that I do think it’s shape appeal is pleasing- not too elongated and not to squatty, so that is definitely a positive… shape appeal is so important.
Just check for bow tie effect, make sure it isn’t too flat top to your liking, and find out where the lab report is from (assuming there is one).
Also, is there a return policy? If so, what is it?

greygoospa

Rough_Rock
I want to add that I do think it’s shape appeal is pleasing- not too elongated and not to squatty, so that is definitely a positive… shape appeal is so important.
Just check for bow tie effect, make sure it isn’t too flat top to your liking, and find out where the lab report is from (assuming there is one).
Also, is there a return policy? If so, what is it?

Thanks for the advice @headlight.
Now that you mention we can see the inclusions as well, we've passed on this diamond.
Again thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate your advice and will be better prepared while we look for a diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results