shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on EC trade up at B&M welcomed....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kalgal

Rough_Rock
Am going to my local B&M jeweler to upgrade a lovely RB my husband gave me 5 years ago. It took me 5 years to admit I really wanted an EC stone.... I have spent more hours than I would like to admit reading threads on the site about trading up and ECs, but I still would appreciate some guidance.

- We are using our local B&M because of their upgrade policy - which seems to be a good deal given how hard it is to sell a diamond for "fair" market value. They are a good, solid jeweler.
- the B&M has no ECs in their inventory, so they had to order some - which means I will only see a few at a time - which makes it harder given all the advice about "you need to see them in person to make the best judgement"
- What I have read here is that I should stay with a G color and VS1 or so clarity but cut is the most important. Does this mean go for an "ideal" cut versus a very good cut?
- I have seen some nice J stones on the PS that look like they have the right proportions( I am also amazed at how many ECs are almost square...) . Will I regret getting a J for an EC?
- I want to get a stone in the 1-1.2 ct range (trying to avoid shrinkage here), but know a smaller stone can look better if it is cut better, has better color... I want a ring that says "WOW" to the people who know about them.

So - Is there anything else I should read/think about before I just go look, look, look? In the end, all the advice tends to lead to - what you like best is most important...

- I am afraid I might drive my jeweler nuts with asking to see as many ECs as possible. It is much easier to browse RBs.

Any and all input is welcomed. And thanks!
21.gif

Kalgal

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
34.gif
Let''s say they can bring in two diamonds only...

Can you see EC of different color grades anywhere else ? It may help, ottherwise I would call one J and one G for starters.
31.gif

Assuming you can choose "by numbers" looking at several GIA cert copies before calling in the two stones (do you have this option ?), the shape (L/W), size (surface area), table and depth, polish, symetry and girdle thickness will be there. Keeping table close to 60%, size decent ( = thin-medium girdle and depth below 70% at least)... I would think a good part of the guessing will have been done before you get to see the stones.

Also, if the clarity plts lok promissing for some otherwise tempting SI1, why not. Those can be clean. VS2 definitely has high chances to be perfectly clean.

If you feel confortable taking one Ideal Scope in the store, it can''t hurt using it.

Well, all IMO, as usual.
1.gif

kalgal

Rough_Rock
Very helpful. I have not asked to see the reports up front but will ask if I can do this. I know the ratio is very important to me - I want a true EC look.

Kalgal

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
A J? I guess it would depend on how color sensitive you are. Personally, I''d find a J too yellow in an EC, but some people like warmer colors and you may not be as color sensitive as I am.

I''d also try not to skimp on size. I love my .82 EC, but ECs are really impressive the larger they get.

Try to keep both table and depth in the low to mid 60s, with the table smaller than the depth.

kalgal

Rough_Rock
More great help.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results