shape
carat
color
clarity

advice on diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ace

Rough_Rock
I am so close on getting this diamond. It is a 2.07 H color SI1 princess ideal cut(depth 70, table 69) stone. I was about to buy it but I was worried about its clarity, since it is a SI1, all I want is eye clean( I dont care about what you can see with a loupe). I asked the salesman at the online store to ask the jeweler if it was eye clean? He came back with the gemoligist said "there was a small black inclusion on the table that can be seen if you are real close". I am torn.

Does that mean that is a "hell no" on my part or what? I was trying to be optimistic and think if it was so bad why isn''t it a SI2? The only thing is that it is an online, and I can''t see it. Any advice?

Thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ace some SI1''s and the occasional VS2 can have a very small eye visible inclusion. By the usual trade definition this is an eyeclean diamond - nothing can be seen by the naked eye at a distance of about 10 inches in normal light. It''s hard to know what to say, if the thought of the inclusion bugs you now before you see the diamond two things can happen. It arrives, you take one look and say no way, or it arrives, you spend a few minutes trying to locate the inclusion and are blown away by the beauty of the diamond itself - the inclusion turns into a non issue! Ask the vendor if the can send you a digital pic of the stone, you might not be able to see the inclusion but it might give you more of an idea if this diamond is worth pursuing or not. If otherwise you like it, you could always have it sent, but if the idea of the inclusion bugs you that much, another diamond might be a better fit for you.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2005 2:00:09 AM
Author:ace
I am so close on getting this diamond. It is a 2.07 H color SI1 princess ideal cut(depth 70, table 69) stone. I was about to buy it but I was worried about its clarity, since it is a SI1, all I want is eye clean( I dont care about what you can see with a loupe). I asked the salesman at the online store to ask the jeweler if it was eye clean? He came back with the gemoligist said 'there was a small black inclusion on the table that can be seen if you are real close'. I am torn.

Does that mean that is a 'hell no' on my part or what? I was trying to be optimistic and think if it was so bad why isn't it a SI2? The only thing is that it is an online, and I can't see it. Any advice?

Thanks
Ace,

Establish a concrete definition of eye-clean with your vendor as Lorelei suggests (here is a link) and ask him to be very specific - until you feel you have learned exactly what to expect.

It's practical for online sellers to be very honest about levels of eye-clean, because clear communication benefits both parties in the end.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good professional advice from JQ!!
36.gif
As John says, it benefits no one to have diamonds shipped back and forth between client and vendor, also as Valeria says if you check out John''s link, no vendor gets awards for returns and complaints. Vendors WILL for the most part be honest, as John says make sure they understand exactly what your definition of an eyeclean diamond is, it may not match theirs. As I said before you may decide on inspection that this inclusion is a non issue and often you can always find something in the S1 clarities, only you can answer if this little mark is something you can live with. JMO I don''t mind a small inclusion, it is an identity mark to me so I always know my diamond. I hope this helps. Is it a GIA certed diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results