shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on diamond, table percentage too high?

Nexxo

Rough_Rock
Hi Experts,

I'm in the process of finding a diamond, where one of my local stores has access to a diamond with the follow cut measurements:

Size: 0.8ct
Depth: 59.8%
Table: 61%
Crown: 33.5%
Pavilion: 40.8%

It scores a HCA of 1.9, which means it should be excellent.

I have seen this diamond visually and it does look good, but pretty much all the diamonds in the store looked good with the lighting they have.

This diamond does fall within my budget and is a size and colour that I like. My only concern is the high table percentage, is this something I should be concerned about?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

Nexxo

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This falls into the 60/60 category of stones. You can do searches here for them. They have a different flavor than a traditional ideal cut stone but can be very pretty emitting more bright white light than colored fire.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/60-60-proportioned-diamond

That stone might have fire, but it could be all around the rim of the diamond and very little in the center. There are some nice looking 60/60 diamonds. It's just kind of an older style, and most of PS tends to gravitate toward deeper diamonds with steeper crown and small table like up to 56% or so. This is from NiceIce.com, the "5 minute guide":
Total depth between 59 – 61.8%
Table diameter between 53 – 58%
Crown angle between 34.3 – 34.9 degrees*
Pavilion angle between 40.6 – 40.9 degrees
Lower girdle facets between 75 – 78%**
Star facets between 45 – 50%***
Girdle thickness between thin and slightly thick
Culet: AGS pointed or GIA none

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
MissGotRocks|1441986667|3926593 said:
This falls into the 60/60 category of stones. You can do searches here for them. They have a different flavor than a traditional ideal cut stone but can be very pretty emitting more bright white light than colored fire.

I totally agree with this comment that 60/60 diamonds can sparkle with a lot of bright white light if the other angles are decent too. I had an uncertified stone that was in that 60/60 category (I had a Sarin report drawn up to get its measurements) and it was very sparkly but with white light - I thought that was normal. After I had the stone recut into better proportions, but it's still not "perfect" due to a feather in the way, it now it splashes colorful pops of light. (I'm def not saying every 60/60 diamond is a candidate for a recut - mine just happen to be.)

I think a 60/60 diamond just depends on your personal preference. If you like it, then consider it. Will they allow you to look at it near a window so you can see it in natural light, and maybe in another office in the store with regular overhead lighting like a managers office? Will they also allow you to see it next to an ideal cut diamond around the same width so you can compare their different looks? Just things to ask.

Nexxo

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I might try and organise another look at it in different light conditions and see if I still like it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results