shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on Cushion purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Shenobie

Rough_Rock
Hi!
I''ve been lurking around these boards for a while and finally decided to register.
1.gif
I am going to see some cushion cut diamonds at a local jeweler in Philadelphia this friday and am not sure what to look for. I have read the posts on depth/table and know about the length to width ratio, but i still feel kind of clueless. My goal is to buy a g,h,or i colored, vs2-si1, 1.25 ct stone for around $4500 (of course if we can go bigger within our budget then yay
9.gif
). Are there any specific questions i should be asking the jeweler, or things I should look out for? I don''t want to take home a shiny stone and then have it looking like junk a few days later.
Thanks!!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Welcome
35.gif
! I would say to look for a GIA certifed diamond. I would use your eyes as your guide because they are most important with fancy cuts like a cushion. Numbers just don't mean as much as they do with rounds. Also, look at the diamonds in all types of lighting, not just under those flattering jewelry store lights. See if you can look at them in sunlight. Ask to use their loupe to examine the diamonds.

Shenobie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice! I''ll be sure to post the specs once i pic a stone
emteeth.gif

Shenobie

Rough_Rock
Hi guys!

Ok I''m trying to decide between these two square cushions:

Cut : Very Good
Clarity :SI2
Color : D
Polish : Very Good
Symmetry : Good
Certification : GIA
Carats : 1.21
Depth : 57
Table : 61
Fluorescence : n/a
Measurement : 6.54x6.2x3.54
Girdle : TK-
Culet : n/a
Ratio : 1.05
Price : $4,292

Cut : Premium
Clarity : VS2
Color : F
Polish : Excellent
Symmetry : Excellent
Certification : EGL
Carats : 1.20
Depth : 57
Table : 58
Fluorescence : None
Measurement : 6.57x6.41x3.71
Girdle : M-
Culet : None
Ratio : 1.02
Price : $4,644

Pleaseeee let me know what you think... We''re looking to get it this week.
Shenobie
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2006 7:54:28 PM
Author: Shenobie

Pleaseeee let me know what you think... We're looking to get it this week.

Those stats are pretty close... would probably prefer the second if the girdle is not 'thick' (I am not quite sure how lab assign the ratings though...). And if possible, see both by all means!
5.gif

What do the inclusions look like in the SI2? (at least as much as the clarity plot can show). A large crystal smack in the middle of the table may not the best of Si2s, although you never know with these fellows.

If I could 'call in' just one, it would b the second.

Btw. I assume EGL is the US branch. Otherwise, that may be more 'I' than 'F'.

My 2c.

Hope someone would put up a decent amount of diamonds oline with pictures & all.
7.gif
Until then, Stuller may have the largest such database. (LINK) Thought you might want to give it a spin.

Shenobie

Rough_Rock
Hi!
They are both on the engagement rings direct site. I''m hoping I can get a few pictures of each. Hopefully the depth won''t be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results