shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on a prospective buy...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

threetuns

Rough_Rock
Here is the info from the GIA certificate of a stone I am considering for purchase:

Carat: 1.01
Color: E
Clarity: VVS2 (pinpoint, cloud)
Table: 57%
Depth: 63.2%
Girdle: Medium-Thick faceted
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Flourescence: Faint

Price: negotiated down to $10,375 incl. patinum setting.

Is this going to be a good buy? My only gripe is that the depth is greater than high end of the ''ideal'' 62.9% range. It seemed beautiful to my naked untrained eyes, I guess I am looking for some of your expert opinions on this before I make my final decision...

p.s. I love this forum!
30.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock

Hey there, here is some advice.

1. The stone is too deep. You will be paying for the 1ct premium surchage but you will not benefit from any visual benefit. That stone is so deep that it will probably look like a .75 or .80 ct diamond and you will have paid the 1 carat price. If you post the proportions widthxlengthxdepth.. we will be better able to judge how it will look. The cutter cut this diamond in order to get over the 1ct mark, not for beauty. Chances are that it will display a lot of light leakage, which will make the diamond less "sparkly". I wouldn''t go for a depth more than 62% ..... and I really would prefer 61.5 b/c I really want to see what I am buying you know!

2. Why VVS2 - E? Most people can not see visible to the naked eye inclusions in a VS2 and there are some who have eye-clean SI1 and SI2 stones... I don''t understand paying the premium for a VVS2 since it is something that you don''t see. Same thing for an E color? Have you seen stones in the near-colorless range. D-E-F.. IMO, there wouldn''t be much difference between a G and an E and you wouldn''t be paying for the price. I''d lower my color and clarity preference to a VS2 - G and get more bang for my buck.

This stone http://www.niceice.com/certcopies/ags0005648504/index.htm is an ideal cut G VS2 1.125ct and is $8385 (credit card) and you''d still have about $2000 for a beautiful setting.

3. Have you got any other info on the stone???

My final opinion, i''d try to find something in the lower color and clarity range and look for an ideal cut...Your budget it great! why not maximize it!!!!

Good Luck!!

rosy

Shiny_Rock
What is the diameter in mm of this stone? That will tell you how it will look visually more than the carat weight. I believe a 1 carat should be 6.5 mm wide. You have a healthy budget. If I were you I would drop to VS2-Si1 clarity. Better yet I would also drop down to a G-H color to get an even larger stone. Everyone gets a 1 carat why not give your girl something a little better than what other people have? Believe me a 1 carat starts looking small real fast as time passes. By the way getting your girl a larger ring makes you look good too!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/11/2004 8:26:47 PM
Author: rosy
Everyone gets a 1 carat why not give your girl something a little better than what other people have? Believe me a 1 carat starts looking small real fast as time passes. By the way getting your girl a larger ring makes you look good too!
I have to respectfully disagree with Rosy. I don''t believe that 1 carat, in the real world, is a small diamond. Maybe here on ps it seems small compared to the larger stones. However, where I am from, I have never seen anything bigger than a .5 carats. And the other day, when I visited an appraiser (Rich Sherwood, highly recommended) he told me that the average engagement ring is about .75c....I think the "shrinkage" issue only applies to someone who knows that there is bigger and better out there.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/11/2004 2:33:10 PM
Author:threetuns
Here is the info from the GIA certificate of a stone I am considering for purchase:

Symmetry: Excellent

Is this going to be a good buy? My only gripe is that the depth is greater than high end of the ''ideal'' 62.9% range. It seemed beautiful to my naked untrained eyes, I guess I am looking for some of your expert opinions on this before I make my final decision...

p.s. I love this forum!
30.gif
threetuns
this one is cut too deep, prefer the depth closer to 61% and the girdle on this stone is carrying a little extra weight.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Like the others have said I really think you can do better. Whether you want to save some money or go larger, the E-VVS premium is really not worth it. I can understand an E--very white and noticeable to the eye for many, so if you like super icy white, that''s okay. But, VVS clarity is really like paying for nothing, IMHO. Go to VS (or SI if you have the patience to find a clean stone) and save yourself some money.

You can also do much better for cut. Way too deep and stay away from any girdle even aprtially "thick" becasue you''re losing spread.
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
consider the situation of another person trying to trade up their diamond - it is D VVS2 - that is hard to sell - if I was to offer a trade up - I would want a 15% better deal because it is much harder (a year versus a month) to sell D VVS than F SI1

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Emmit.... after numerous posts saying the same exact thing you begin to make people wonder whether you're here to actually help people or if you are a shill. If the latter you may want to consider taking a banner ad.

Diabuyie

Rough_Rock
Here is something better in cut, Girdle and bigger than your stone and probably cost you around $9000.

Weight 1.06

Shape & Cut B
Measurements 6.53X6.57X4.03

Proportions
Depth 62
Table 57
Girdle STK F
Culet N

Finish
Polish X
Symmetry X

Clarity Grade VVS2

Color Grade E

Fluorescence FB

PrettyT

Rough_Rock
I am selling a wedding set if you are interested. I have a gorgeous set with a beautiful center stone.

The center stone is GIA rated, here is the info:

Shape & Cut = One Radiant Cut Diamond
Measurements = 6.09 (lenght) x 4.93 (width) x 4.03 (depth) mm
Lenght to Width Ratio = 1.23:1.00
Carat Weight = 1.04 Ct. exactly
Clarity = VS1
Color = G
Fluorescence = Negligible
Total Depth % = 81.7%
Table % = 85%
Girdle = Thick
Culet = None
Polish and Symmetry = Good

The setting is as follows:

Shape & Cut = Eighty One Round Brilliant Cut Diamonds
Measurements = 1.0mm - 1.2mm
Carat Weight = 0.005Ct - 0.0075Ct each estimated by measurements
Total Carat Weight = 0.46Ct estimated by measurements and per manufacturer
Clarity = SI1 - SI2
Color = I - J (As Mounted)
Finish = Good

This is a white gold setting and the side stones are pave. I love this ring and many other people who see it do as well. It is very elegent, very classic in style and will age beautifully.

If you are interested let me know. I will give you a great deal on it, much better than you would pay in a store. I had a jewler mount the center stone, not a mall jewler either. I dont believe in chain jewlery stores, I go to the local family run jewlery store near where I live.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/12/2004 9:37:52 PM
Author: PrettyT
I am selling a wedding set if you are interested. I have a gorgeous set with a beautiful center stone.

The center stone is GIA rated, here is the info:

Shape & Cut = One Radiant Cut Diamond
Measurements = 6.09 (lenght) x 4.93 (width) x 4.03 (depth) mm
Lenght to Width Ratio = 1.23:1.00
Carat Weight = 1.04 Ct. exactly
Clarity = VS1
Color = G
Fluorescence = Negligible
Total Depth % = 81.7%
Table % = 85%
Girdle = Thick
Culet = None
Polish and Symmetry = Good

The setting is as follows:

Shape & Cut = Eighty One Round Brilliant Cut Diamonds
Measurements = 1.0mm - 1.2mm
Carat Weight = 0.005Ct - 0.0075Ct each estimated by measurements
Total Carat Weight = 0.46Ct estimated by measurements and per manufacturer
Clarity = SI1 - SI2
Color = I - J (As Mounted)
Finish = Good

This is a white gold setting and the side stones are pave. I love this ring and many other people who see it do as well. It is very elegent, very classic in style and will age beautifully.

If you are interested let me know. I will give you a great deal on it, much better than you would pay in a store. I had a jewler mount the center stone, not a mall jewler either. I dont believe in chain jewlery stores, I go to the local family run jewlery store near where I live.
PrettyT:

This forum is not for selling jewelry (as stated in the rules of the forum). Even if PS did cater to "sellers" I doubt that anyone that frequents this forum would want to purchase a fancy square with almost 82% depth and an 85% table. Try your luck on Ebay.

threetuns

Rough_Rock
Hi all, sorry but I have been out of the country (work and pleasure) but now I'm back! I do have a little more information on that stone.

Dimensions: 6.33 x 6.36 x 4.01mm

Does this back-up every thing said above? The jeweller claimed that it was an ideal cut as rated by the GIA.

//edit - below is all the other information... (notice correction to symmetry (my bad!)
Symmetry: Very Good

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2005 3:11:35 PM
Author: threetuns

Hi all, sorry but I have been out of the country (work and pleasure) but now I''m back! I do have a little more information on that stone.

Dimensions: 6.33 x 6.36 x 4.01mm

Does this back-up every thing said above? The jeweller claimed that it was an ideal cut as rated by the GIA.

//edit - below is all the other information... (notice correction to symmetry (my bad!)
Symmetry: Very Good

As noted above (I believe), for a 1 carat diamond, the size should be 6.50. That means that your diamond will appear smaller than it should. A well cut diamond wouldn''t be that deep. Plus, some of that weight is being hidden in the "thick" girdle unfortunately.

If you are willing to look online, I think you will find more "ideal" cuts than this one at lower prices.

Good luck!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Plus, for even greater savings, you could always look for a lower clarity. I would go as far down as a SI1 (VS2 to be very safe). As long as I can''t see the inclusions with my bare eyes, that is fine with me! But if you or you FI like the knowledge that the stone is really, really clean, then surely stay with the VVS. It''s obviously up to you guys!

As for color, well I can''t complain ;-) I love Es
30.gif

threetuns

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help guys - I really appreciate it. It is apprent to me now that the stone is not quite everything I thought it may be. This is my first (and hopefully last) purchase of an e-ring so I want to get it just right!
1.gif

There have been several comments about the clarity, and from what I have learned on here I fully understand. However my f would rather have better clarity (even in the non-naked-eye-visible ranges) than an extra quarter or half of a carat on weight.

Regarding buying over the internet, I am just one of those (old fashioned?) people (I'm only 28!) who prefers good old B&M. We have found an unbelievabliy helpful store here in Boston who are going to get our business one way or another. They will find us our stone - no worries. It just makes me more comfortable regarding after-sales service, future puchase discounts etc.

Wish me luck!

//edit

...one more thing, she already has a pair of diamond studs which are F in color and VS1 in clarity, so we don't want anything less than that. The ring must win!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results