shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on a princess search please.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mercantides

Rough_Rock
I've been lurking for a few weeks and I think I've soaked up enough wisdom to begin my search for the perfect princess. I've started with a search on pricescope with the following parameters:

G - I
VS2 - SI1
1.0 - 1.2

I then went through the list and weeded out based on the following criteria:
Must have GIA cert.
Depth > Table
Depth - Table < 5
Depth < 75

Even with this criteria I still ended up with a ton of potential stones and I'm not sure what my next step should be. Should I further trim the parameters before I start looking at individual stones?

I know many people don't like princess to go below F or G in colour but I figure 'I' would be good if it had some fluorescence.

Here's one stone I found that seems good. I'd like some expert second opinions to make sure I'm on the right track.

GIA 14283881
5.78 x 5.53 x 4.14
1.08 carat
74.9% depth
72% table
medium to slightly thick
VS2
I
faint blue fluorescence

link to cert:
http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/i.cgi?diaid=4729888&_t=c

I'm concerned that the table is a little high, although it's 3% below the depth. The colour is 'I' but the fluorescence should mask that. All of the inclusions are in the center of the stone but it's a VS2 so it shouldn't matter.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
HI: I know you wanted expert opinions. I am no expert but the numbers look pretty good to me.

My main reason for posting is to let you know that many of the experts that post here are at a conference out in Vegas. See the threads in the Diamond Hangout section. But maybe some others will chime in and help you.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey mercantides! welcome to ps!
it sounds as though you have been studying!
2.gif
as much as i would *love* to be able to pick a princess by the numbers alone, through much searching, i have discovered it''s not that easy! the guidelines you have laid out are good to start with and yes, f or g color would be nice.......perhaps even i color would be acceptable to you. fluorescence could help mask some faint coloring, but it would need to be at least med. to strong blue to have any effect. faint fluor is undetectable and will have no effect on color. if you aren''t going to be able to see the diamonds in person, actual diamond pics are always helpful and a scope image can''t hurt.
2.gif
best of luck in your search!!
1.gif

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
Just an FYI...the stone may look a little bit rectangular with those measurements. As the previous post said...picking by the numbers is a tall order. I like to see tables below 68%, and definatly less than depth....that is just the starting point....Good luck!
1.gif

Mercantides

Rough_Rock
onedrop:
I was using the term ''expert'' loosely. I consider anyone that has taken the time to find this forum expert enough to give me advice.
1.gif

belle:
Thanks for the advice on fluorescence. I''ve never seen a fluorescent stone so I''m completely unsure of it''s actual effect on perceived whiteness. I think it''s one of those things that I''ll have to see in person before I make any judgements.

icemyster:
The length:width ratio is 1.05. It seems fairly square and I think in the proper setting the difference wouldn''t be noticable.

I think I have to talk to a dealer and see what the right process is. Do I make up a shortlist and request more measurements? I''d really like to know things like crown height before I decide to get a stone in. At the very least I expect some pics and a scope image. Please let me know if my expectations are too low or too high.

I''m in Ottawa and I''m planning on going through USA Certed Diamonds as they are based in Toronto and can deal with the customs hassle.

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
See if you can get a sarin...that should help...1.00:1.05 should not be bad. It can be very obvious in a princess that is the only reason I mentioned it. Expect away...you are spending good money. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results