shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed! Antique setting or reproduction?

molamola

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

Long time lurker but first time posting since I’m finally looking to get my engagement ring! I have a 2.5ct OEC that I’m looking to set. Originally I was really wanting to source an antique solitaire setting in platinum with some side stones and engraving given how beautiful they are. I thought I’d ask to see if anyone might have some advice on the below for me. Thanks so much!!

- Is there significant risk in an antique setting breaking since it’s already 50-100+ years old? I would like to wear my ring daily
- are antique settings more expensive or less than custom work for something similar?
- any suggestions on how best to gauge the quality of a reproduction? I have gone through previous posts and see there’s a couple suggestions on who to ask, but wondering what sorts of things to look out for
- any other considerations I should be thinking about for antique vs reproduction?
- any suggestions on where to find antique settings?

B

Betty Baguette

I'm not an expert, but since no one else has chimed in I'll say one thing...As much as I love antique/vintage settings, I would be very, very careful about choosing one for a 2.5 ct OEC. I'd hate to see you lose such an expensive stone by putting it into a possibly fragile 50-100 year old setting.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a lab report for your OEC? Girdle thickness and/or chips might impact what type of setting would be safest for your diamond. Do you have a jeweler you trust? Platinum settings are very durable. Depending on wear you may need to have prongs retipped or the shank strengthened. Also, many OECs aren’t perfectly round so it can be challenging finding a setting that will fit. A trusted jeweler or people here may be able to advise. There is a sticky of trusted vendors in this forum and that’s a good place to start your search. Also, you can start a thread with pics and stats of your OEC and some inspiration pics and we can help with the search.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I love old settings, too. Sometimes I have to get the prongs retipped, or replace the shank. There are some good sellers on EBay and Etsy, and I also look for lab ruby& sapphire rings so I can replace the center stone. What you don’t want is porosity which means the metal has a lot of air and is weak, although I have rescued some of those by replacing the shank.

Here are a couple of recent examples. The first had a garnet in it, a $30 stone. The second, a cultured pearl. The last one, a lab sapphire I am replacing with a red spinel.
IMG_8345.jpeg IMG_8345.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8346.jpeg
    IMG_8346.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2286.png
    IMG_2286.png
    301.7 KB · Views: 13
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results