shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed about asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

disco

Rough_Rock
Me and my gf have found this .95 G vs2 asscher at a local store. It looks very good, there''s black pinpoint that''s visible under a lope but can''t see it at all with the naked eye. The symetry is very good from what I can tell. It''s got nice big clipped corners and big windmills(which we like). Table is a little bigger than we like but the depth is nice and deep. It''s the best stone out of all the one''s I''ve seen. My only hesitation is, it''s not certified by anyone. I can get it sent to GIA for $150-$175 the store said. I was wondering if that''s worth it. Also is 4800 a good price for this stone set in 18k white gold band, with plat head, with 5 channelset princess diamonds on each side? It''s a really unique setting. Thanks!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Check the independant appraisers list here:
https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx
Is one of them in your area?

If so make the sale dependant on the appraiser agreeing with the grade and have the appraiser look at it.

Price looks good to me at 4800 with setting but get the stone checked one way or the other.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i agree with strm...if you like the stone, buy it contingent on an accurate appraisal of the grade.

disco

Rough_Rock
There are 2 appraisers in my area listed. So getting the stone independently appraised is better than getting it sent to GIA? How much is the appraisal fee usually?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the appraisers charge MORE than the GIA does, then just get the GIA report.....It will take quite a few days or weeks. Most appraisers can do their work in a shorter time and charge less, too. IN NYC the rent and overhead create cost issues and higher than usual fees. Most other places appraisers can and do charge less than the GIA charges.

The GIA won''t provide a dollar value or an insurance appraisal report, but no one has any serious argument with the accuracy of GIA grading. Whether we always agree is another matter, but the GIA does have a long track record to back itself up. We live in an imperfect world and the GIA does a very good job within the limits of what they provide. Appraisers can provide more information over a wider range of subject matter. A lot depends on what you want to accomplish, how safe you want to be and how much time you have.

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
I agree with oldminer about the cost of the GIA report vs. the appraisal if you live in NYC...but I personally would send the stone to GIA regardless to get it certified. Then if all is well buy it and after it is set take it to an independent appraiser for insurance purposes. The stone will insure for more because of the GIA cert. also.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results