shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice/Insight on these two rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bubblelights

Rough_Rock
Any thoughts? The .93 sounds too good to be true...dealer says it''s a new diamond, new (repro) ring - which, again, makes me think the cost is WAY questionable.

p.jpg

from the website:
"This Edwardian engagement ring in antique style platinum with diamonds weighs 2.4g and measures 10mm wide and 5mm deep. Centrally prong-set atop this gentle platinum high relief gallery is a 0.93ct round brilliant-cut diamond graded I color and SI1 clarity. Finished with fully mille grained edges, this charming ring is mounted with 0.17cts of European-cut diamonds graded H color and VS clarity range bead-set throughout the delicately intricate design adding a touch of sparkle to accentuate the brilliant centerstone diamond."

p.jpg

And from the website:
"This certified diamond engagement ring with a European-cut diamond in vintage white gold weighs 2.6g and measures 10mm wide and 6mm deep. Constructed in 18k white gold, this broad finely pierced aesthetic gallery is bead-set with 0.34cts of full-cut diamonds graded I color and VS/SI range clarity, highlighting the eminent prong-set EGL certified 0.61ct (Cert #75193115) European-cut diamond graded G color and VS1 clarity. Finely millegrained edges and pierced openwork define the shapely curves of this stunning easily sizable vintage 1930''s engagement ring."

I''m not looking for a perfect diamond, obviously. I tend to be more inclined towards antique and antique-style settings...I have large hands, so petite rings aren''t going to work on my fingers, I dwarf them, and since we can''t afford to spend more than $5000, these two seem to be the most promising we''ve found. Both of them are for sale for $4100. I like both of these settings but of course am REALLY concerned since I can''t try them on.

This is for an e-ring, by the way...

If you have any other suggestions of places to look, that would be awesome, my boyfriend and I are making ourselves CRAZY in all of this...

Oh, and ideally, we''d like to have the ring by April 7, when we leave for a trip.

bubblelights

Rough_Rock
oh, and dealer says the SI1 is eye-clean.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Well, I can''t comment on cut quality since there is no cut information, but I can say that I really like setting #1
1.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
How about something like this from aer.com
L1071plc.jpg

with a ~.90 ideal diamond from whiteflash''s expert selection like this K VS2. Combined that would bring you in under $4000.

Nifty, no?

bubblelights

Rough_Rock
Is a K going to appear too yellow? I was advised not to go below I...

edited to add -- but yes, yes, yes - I think that setting is beautiful!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Well, it will be warm, but not as much as a non-ideal k would. It is a matter of personal preference, I happen to like warmer tones in antique settings.
There are several other diamonds in .9 -.99 carat range in the expert selection of whiteflash with higher color. I just picked that one since the price, clarity, and cut are all very nice.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love antique rings but I''m not sold on the EGL certs ... the color could be lower than you expect. Will you get to see them in person 1st? Also ... sometimes seeing stuff actually on your hand makes a big difference!

How about something like this.

Platinum Engagement Ring,
0.81ct Asscher Cut Diamond,
G color VVS2 clarity,
GIA certified.

20685_xlarge.jpg

bubblelights

Rough_Rock
that''s a beautiful ring, but I''ve found that the skinny bands just look silly on my fingers - size 7 and really long...I need something with a bit more width to it, especially if I''m not using a big stone!

And no, we don''t get to see them in person - hence all our hesitation. I''m thinking a setting might be the way to go - any suggestions other than aer (who I really like, but they seem to be out of stock of a LOT) for deco-style or edwardian style settings? (There are tons out there, but I''d love a recommendation from someone who has had experience...)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fay Cullen' right?

Those surely are reproductions and not such hot quality as far as I can tell. The work is allot more rough than you'd expect from a vintage piece...

Whether you like them or not is a matter of choice, but overall I wonder if pave is secure in the rough casting there. Would they replace stones if they do fall? Usually there is such allowance for pave - at least for some limited period of wear after purchase.

I doubt similar piece can be made to last for the price, simply because the skills and labor involved are quite specialized and expensive. But either a true vintage piece or something more reasonable to expect from modern volume manufacturing technique should be available out there.

My (biased) 2c. I tend to be a real nerd about how jewelry is made, and prone to exaggeration.
14.gif

bubblelights

Rough_Rock
Yes, Fay Cullen - you''re good! So...eep.
7.gif
You obviously sound like you know what you''re talking about and my gut says to not go with either of these rings - you confirmed my fears. So......what would you recommend we do? Time is a factor, so tracking down the perfect true antique is a crapshoot...and I don''t think either of us want to spend the next six months tracking down every ring in the northern hemisphere.

Are there any reputable repro mountings that you''d recommend or are they all going to be out of our price range?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2006 12:51:37 AM
Author: bubblelights

Are there any reputable repro mountings that you'd recommend or are they all going to be out of our price range?
I wish I knew something off the bat, but basically don't.

was browsing this when you post came in

http://www.singlestone.com/ringselection/

www.langantiques.com (slow site, not great pictures... some interesting stuff).

In theory, old cut (esp. old mine cut) diamonds are less expensive than modern, and if one of those turns up & a setting with enough vintage feel to host it would be a greta match, IMO. J/SI1 would be fine with me, at 1 carat or less because color tends to show allot mroe in larger diamonds than in small ones - lucky thing that.

Sort of random:

Would an 'old mine' (Fay Culen has an interesting list of loose stones, and there have been 2-3 threads about old mine cuts this past week!) look good for you in a setting like THIS?

I am no expert... so please add the proverbial grai of salt to whatever I might be posting. If this is what I'd do in your soes, it doesn't mean it is a good choice.
40.gif

bubblelights

Rough_Rock
Lang does have some interesting stuff, we''re in SF so we actually went in and got to look at their rings last week - nothing that grabbed me, unfortunately (though we were in a hurry, maybe we should go back...)

Unfortunately, that setting you posted doesn''t look good on my finger because the band is so thin and the stone is just small enough so that my hand looks like that of a giant and the ring looks like that of a dainty elf princess...very mismatched.
20.gif

Hmmmmmmm........who knew this was going to be so challenging!?!?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2006 1:22:01 AM

Unfortunately, that setting you posted doesn't look good on my finger because the band is so thin and the stone is just small enough so that my hand looks like that of a giant and the ring looks like that of a dainty elf princess...very mismatched.

Sensible thought! I am not such a fan of the super thin anyway, it just seems that the option is not the most popular these days (or at least on this forum). Oh well...

This one needs a good cleanup - perhaps they left it this way to let buyers choose. Can't hurt to ask.

Link

And how about Singlestone? I don't know them... but there's a ton of enthusiastic fedback around here - this is why I mentioned them. 'Guess you could always ask a more informed Pricescoper's feedback about them.

bubblelights

Rough_Rock
I''ll check out singlestone.

The other ring you posted looks almost identical to a family ring I have, except that mine has a ruby in it - so I am not inclined to do an e-ring that is so familiar, you know?

Thanks again for all your help...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if this is not still Elvish...

The rings are by Larry Pauling and ... I failed to find any quote online! Somehow the name does not register in my ''over the top price'' list. It may be worth asking if you like these things.

Pauling.jpg

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2006 9:46:09 PM
that''s a beautiful ring, but I''ve found that the skinny bands just look silly on my fingers - size 7 and really long...I need something with a bit more width to it, especially if I''m not using a big stone!

I totally understand, I have size 7 fingers as well. Expect mine are a bit stubby.
2.gif
I find that bands about 3.5 - 4mm at least in width look better than thinner bands. Even when those thin bands have a larger stone in them.
Have you considered non-antique style alternatives?
Would something like this appeal to you?
gi_DV-534_m.jpg

I tried on the vatche version with a .75 carat center and it looked fantastic on my hand. While it may be out of my budget, it''s not out of your''s.
5.gif

533-b.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results