shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for princess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cybermob2

Rough_Rock
been deliberating too long. crunch time.

i''ll be hearing about it if it isn''t 1.2+ (anything less, don''t bother...)

so in the 1.25ish range, what have i got to work with for right around 6.5-7k?

like to stay VS and G or better... but def wanna keep that twinkle and fire (not sacrifice cut)

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 4:32:54 PM
Author:cybermob2
been deliberating too long. crunch time.

i''ll be hearing about it if it isn''t 1.2+ (anything less, don''t bother...)

so in the 1.25ish range, what have i got to work with for right around 6.5-7k?

like to stay VS and G or better... but def wanna keep that twinkle and fire (not sacrifice cut)

Why?? I don''t think I believe that about any cut in diamond. Well-cut diamonds can be stunning in any weight, IMO.

cybermob2

Rough_Rock
not sure if i understand your question "why?"

i''m basically asking for advice on a few diamond choices in that criteria and price range, and if i''m going to be giving up too much light performance for weight + clarity.

looking for a good compromise of size and cut more or less. if i knew a "safe" place for an inclusion is a SI1, i would look for one... so i guess thats open as well, but all the SI1s I''ve seen in person have had too obvious of inclusions.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think tberube misunderstood your post to mean that diamonds don't have any place below 1.2ct, for anyone. I assume your meaning really was that your girlfriend prefers 1.2+, not that no one should?
1.gif

Most PSers would say that if you're going to sacrifice anything, it should be clarity (to SI1) and color (arguably, to about J), as opposed to cut.

Now, if G and VS2 are the lowest you're willing to go, then that's just fine, too (we're talking an issue of mind-clean, as opposed to eye-clean, here). But very few people here will enable you to sacrifice cut to get larger carat weight.

How much of that budget, if any, do you need to reserve for your setting?

cybermob2

Rough_Rock
lol... diamonds less than 1.2 are of course no less (other than weight) beautiful than anything else.

i''m just saying that we''ve looked for a while... and 1.25ish usually gets her the size she likes (fortunately, she doesn''t like them much bigger)

so i''m trying to stay around 1.25ish for her sake,

and for my sake, a VS2 (best chance of being eye clean) and G+ color (going in platinum). don''t get me wrong, if it were a "safe" (eye clean) SI1 i would be willing to sacrifice VS+ for a little "size is everything" if you know what i mean.

the rock will be set in a simple ritani micro-pave (pcz1966??? or seomthing), which is around $2400 locally.

my budget puts the dimaond at around 6500 to maybe 7k.

a little more clarity help?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did a search just to illustrate the color/clarity thing... you can get:

This one: 1.27 G VS2 for $6,554.00
-OR-
This one: 1.61 J VS2 for $6,572.00

Again, this is just sort of the groupthink around here... and if your absolute low point is G/VS2 then that is FINE! I obviously have no qualms with G/VS2, since that's what my stone is
3.gif
I just wanted to show you a little of the possibility
1.gif
Only $18 in price difference, for .34cts more.

ETA: I was typing while you were posting
2.gif
This is one of the "J" stones that we often cite to newcomers: Mara's J in platinum.

cybermob2

Rough_Rock
for color, i''d like to stay with G.

granted, my only comparisons are white gold set "zales" and the like settings with diamonds of unknown grading companies saying they are "h" and they are noticeably yellow. however, they are also cloudy, hazy, huge inclusions (SI2 or worse), and basically a worthless attempt at scamming someone of $5,000 for 1.2cts.

several people have told me at more reputable jewelers that in platinum, G or better will be safe for avoidign a yellow tint.

cybermob2

Rough_Rock
and as a side note... are 4-star rated diamonds @ whiteflash a "safe" bet for a good cut? i can pretty easily narrow down to a few diamonds this way... doing that i can narrow it down to dozen or so... aye yey yeh!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
many people on pricescope have SI1's that are completely eye clean :) in saying that though I did a quick search using the price tool and brought up about 4 pages in g, VS2 diamonds many in your price range :). I know nothing about the cut of princess diamonds or what to look for but it is a definite start :).

If you have no issue buying online contact a few of the pricescope vendors and give them your specs :) see what they can pull up for you and if there are any you like :) people here will be more then happy to assist as well :).

cybermob2

Rough_Rock
the problem is, if i go to say WF, spec out G+, VS+, 4star, 1.2+, there are TONS!

i need somebody to weed it down to a few for me!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 9:16:27 PM
Author: cybermob2
the problem is, if i go to say WF, spec out G+, VS+, 4star, 1.2+, there are TONS!

i need somebody to weed it down to a few for me!
I''m sure the experts on princesses (which I''m not) will chime in soon enough!

cl2ysta1

Rough_Rock
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1109925.asp

here is a 1.25 G vs2 premium cut for 6,820

I looked at quite a few 1.1 and 1.2 and I really couldnt tell the differnce size wise. You may be able to go a little bit lower in size and get everything you want for the price...

This one is BEAUTIFUL!

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1111972.asp

1.1 F VVS2 Ideal ex/vg 6,230 I really like this one!!!!!!!

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/E-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1107620.asp

1.15 E VS1 Ideal cut vg/vg This one is also quite amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results