shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for best pendant adhesive?

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Hi, gang. Getting ready to try my hand at making some 14 karat gold pendants (and also some sterling silver pendants), and I was wondering what your favorite adhesive is? THIS is the style of pendant I will be using (for natural drilled cabochon gemstones AND natural round gem balls, NOT pearls). A friend of mine claims that super glue works great. He said put some on the inside of the base and on the peg.... and as long as the holes are drilled in close diameter/depth to the peg size it would work just fine. What do you think? My only other experience is with E600 adhesive. I was also curious if super glue works on gluing cabochon gemstones inside pre-set surgical stainless steel bezel earring settings? And if so, does that also include gemstones that are kinda translucent such as red garnets and citrine?

Thanks! il_794xN.1533602047_d5uk.jpg il_794xN.2094467624_juig.jpg

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Hi, gang. Getting ready to try my hand at making some 14 karat gold pendants (and also some sterling silver pendants), and I was wondering what your favorite adhesive is? THIS is the style of pendant I will be using (for natural drilled cabochon gemstones AND natural round gem balls, NOT pearls). A friend of mine claims that super glue works great. He said put some on the inside of the base and on the peg.... and as long as the holes are drilled in close diameter/depth to the peg size it would work just fine. What do you think? My only other experience is with E600 adhesive. I was also curious if super glue works on gluing cabochon gemstones inside pre-set surgical stainless steel bezel earring settings? And if so, does that also include gemstones that are kinda translucent such as red garnets and citrine?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
E6000 is the way to go not superglue. I make jewellery and that's the glue I use. If you have a stone thats calibrated you can get pre made bezels which are safer in the longer term but you may need to solder the bezel to a bale (depending on style of course) so it's a different set of skill and tools required. You do not use glue inside a bezel because if it's the correct fit, the art of bending the bezel over traps the stone. A trick to make sure it's secure is to hold it next to your ear and shake it around a bit. If the stone is loose, you'll hear a rattle. You must make sure that the bezel grips the stone in the right place though.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
E6000 is the way to go not superglue. I make jewellery and that's the glue I use. If you have a stone thats calibrated you can get pre made bezels which are safer in the longer term but you may need to solder the bezel to a bale (depending on style of course) so it's a different set of skill and tools required. You do not use glue inside a bezel because if it's the correct fit, the art of bending the bezel over traps the stone. A trick to make sure it's secure is to hold it next to your ear and shake it around a bit. If the stone is loose, you'll hear a rattle. You must make sure that the bezel grips the stone in the right place though.

Thanks for the advice!

GemmaBella

Shiny_Rock

I just wanted to suggest the glue Dazzle Tac. It is a really fantastic jewelry glue that I have used for years. It is shock resistant, meaning it doesn't dry out and chip like Crazy Glue does if you accidentally knock the piece against something. I have fixed so many things using it and it holds up remarkably well. I bought my most recent tube on Ebay. Hope that helps.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've also used E6000. I bought it to stick spinel rough into jewelery, but eventually decided my jeweler was better qualified than me =)2. Instead we have some special (semi precious) go stones and every once in a while I repair these with the E6000 as my daughter tends to occasionally break a few. It's seemless at glueing the stones back together.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to suggest the glue Dazzle Tac. It is a really fantastic jewelry glue that I have used for years. It is shock resistant, meaning it doesn't dry out and chip like Crazy Glue does if you accidentally knock the piece against something. I have fixed so many things using it and it holds up remarkably well. I bought my most recent tube on Ebay. Hope that helps.

Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results