shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for a lazy bum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, for a week I was making attempts to clean my demantoid - just to make pictures of it. It doesn''t work for me - either I have other stuff to do or my kid is at home which is dangerous for any stone because everything might go the vent way. He just likes it. It makes nice clicking sound. Short of washing, is there any safe way to clean it? Someone, I think, TL, mentioned glass wipes. Is this something people would advise, and what type of wipes? Do I have to order them or can I buy them somewhere? Have no clue about these things.

Alcohol wipes seem to work for sapphires, alexandrite and ruby.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3m Microfiber lense cleaning clothes. For me they work perfectly, no washing of the gems. Check for them on amazon, they''re like 5 bucks each there. I always get a ton of the things when I visit my eye dr every year.
10.gif

Its lazy but it works
2.gif

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use a leather gem chamois. Kassoy.com carries them.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Glass cleaner leaves a streak free shine.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all! I''ll try the wipes first but order the chamois and try glass cleaner on sturdier stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glass cleaner sometimes contains harsh chemicals, so be careful on porous stones like opal, emerald, and other highly inlcuded stones.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
For most stones glass cleaner is the fastest and easiest way to clean and will work very well for demantoids.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glass cleaner is fine for a demantoid, if I''m not mistaken.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2010 8:46:45 PM
Author: colormyworld

For most stones glass cleaner is the fastest and easiest way to clean and will work very well for demantoids.
What do you use to wipe them dry? I like the leather chamois because there is no liquid or chemicals involved, it wipes dry, and it also leaves a streak free shine.
emhot.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the stone isn''t too soft, I love spraying with compressed air for a water spot free look.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I use acetone and a microfiber cloth for most stones.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! So I presume I could use nail polish remover for harder stones. Or is it too oily? I think it is pure acetone - it dries my nails to the extreme.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2010 1:07:06 PM
Author: crasru
Oh! So I presume I could use nail polish remover for harder stones. Or is it too oily? I think it is pure acetone - it dries my nails to the extreme.
That just sounds too harsh for me!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results