shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice for a first time cat owner?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had four cats as an adult, and not one of then has jumped on kitchen counters. I think one or two may have tried, but they quickly got the message that it was not OK and for some reason that one stuck. I have not been as successful when it came to the fireplace mantle (when I'm not home -- it provides access to two windows) and the dining room table, but only when it's in use
3.gif
. Training a cat is not impossible, but it isn't easy either. Which is probably the same thing my cats say about me...

BTW I did have one cat that I trained to sleep only on the foot of the bed (he had very long fur and I got tired of dealing with it.) But when I think of the many ways in which he had me trained, I guess it was a trade-off.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 9:21:47 PM
Author: oobiecoo
Is it really nearly impossible to keep them off counters? Kitchen counters and dining table I will not tolerate. Isn't that just... dirty???? I had a friend who had like 20 cats and dogs (I'm not even exaggerating) and they would climb on the counters and sometimes get into the meat her mom was thawing for dinner.
I don't mind if it lays on the bed in the guest room... and I guess I don't mind too much if it gets on our bed as well... I just don't want it to sleep with us really.

I went to Petsmart today and looked at a couple of cats from a local shelter. One has been there a really long time and hasn't been adopted because she's just kind of shy. Her name is Stella and she is white with some spots. Apparently she's gotten a little bit friendlier since arriving but I'm scared I'm going to end up with a cat who hides under the bed all day.
There was also Callie who is a little bit friendlier but SUPER skinny. They have been working with her to gain weight though.
They also had a sweet male named Tom. He was friendly but huge and looked like he could be a trouble maker. I'm not sure I want a boy and DH seems to think male cats' urine smells stronger than the females... not sure about that though.

I know I'm being ridiculous but I can't help but think all of these cats look too *common*. I don't want my kitty to look like everyone else's... which is partially why I wanted a persian initially. I've seen a couple of other more unique looking ones and have emailed about them but haven't recieved any replies yet which is frustrating.

DH was ready to let me bring one home today but I'm so hesitant. What if I buy one and we end up having major problems with it when we get home? I don't want to be stuck with a cat we aren't compatible with and I think theres only so much we can see from playing with it at the shelter/store.
Oobs, it is a big commitment as you know, if you are worried that you might have problems and are concerned that you might not be able to resolve them then maybe wait a bit and really think it through? Cats do have a mind of their own and although you could get one which is perfect for you, equally you could find you have one which does its own thing or might have the odd issue.

It is a chance you have to take really or not as the case may be.
35.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
No doubt it''s a big commitment, and I applaud you for wanting to be certain about your choice. That''s really smart.

Honestly, I''d keep visiting shelters until you fall in love with a cat. Really. I''ve told the story here before, but when I got Lola...boom. That was it. There was something about her that was just magic for me, and I knew she was *my* cat. And Ezra was too much of an awkward looking goofball not to love (he''s a black and white cat with a goofy half-moustache that only curls up on one side).

Mine stay off the counters....for the most part. Sometimes I catch them on the counter when I come home, and they give me the, "Oh shoot, you''re home early," look and jump off. The bed has basically become a "family bed," though. Lola sleeps at the foot of the bed, and Ezra likes to be cuddled like a teddy bear at night. Both cats are very affectionate with me, and have a lot of personality. Lola is very timid around new people, and is likely to hide when they come around. Ezra thinks everybody in the world was put there to love him. But both of these personality traits were VERY clear in the 10 minute interactions I had with them at the shelter, so I might not worry as much that the personality will change drastically from shelter to home.

Ashleigh310

Rough_Rock
I'm mostly a lurker, but wanted to comment. I second the suggestion of a tortie. They're beautiful cats. I've never seen two that look alike. I've had my Savannah for about 8 years and she's always been wonderful. She definitely has quite the personality, but in a good way. We rescued her when she was about 1.5 years old. She was fairly shy at first (she had been abused), but she warmed up very quickly. They just need some time to take a new home in and adjust to new surroundings.

As far as cats on the counter, I've had cats my whole life and my mother would have never tolerated a cat jumping up on the counter. Personally, I think it's just a matter of conditioning them as soon as they get home. The first time you see it happen, just pick the cat up, tap its nose and tell it no in a firm voice. I think we only had to do that once or twice with Savannah and she has never jumped on the counter since. However, she does sleep with me and my fiance, so I have no recommendations with that.

Definitely keep looking around at shelters and such. When you find the right cat for your home, you'll know.
1.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I must be a mean cat owner, lol. When my cats get on the counters and I see them, I pick them up and kind of toss them across the room (well, about 3 feet). Not hard, but they get the point.

Feralpenchant

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 11:45:44 AM
Author: princesss
I must be a mean cat owner, lol. When my cats get on the counters and I see them, I pick them up and kind of toss them across the room (well, about 3 feet). Not hard, but they get the point.

LOL you''re not mean, I do that too! Well, with my 3 year old kitty, I wouldn''t dare do that to my 19 year old
5.gif

When I got my youngest she would go NUTS at like 4am on the nose. She would make chittering noises and run as fast as she could with her tail poofed and her eyes wide as could be, ears to the side. She would attack my four poster bed. So I would get so annoyed cause I had to be up at 6 for school, that I would scruff her and toss her into the hall and shut my door.

2 seconds later.. "meow? meow? scratch scratch."

20.gif
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
All our cats have been impossible to keep off the counters or tables or beds. However some have been worse than others - the current ones don''t steal, but ones we had in the past would steal anything going - no way could you leave food out to defrost or anything like that. Also had cats that scratch the furniture like mad and others who aren''t interested in the slightest and have never damaged anything.They were all home-bred so it wasn''t as if they learnt bad habits elsewhere.

On the whole a neutered male will be a lot more affectionate than a female - I would definitely choose a male if I was getting a cat. I''ve never noticed a difference in urine smell - it is important to get one that doesn''t spray though. I also love HUGE cats - they seem to be more laid back than the little ones!

Could you borrow a friend''s cat while they were on holiday to see how well it would fit with your life? Cats are as much work as a dog in my opinion and a lot less trusting than a dog. They are wonderful animals and I so miss not having one (DH has major allergies) but you need to invest plenty of time and TLC to get the best back. Cats can be very emotional - one of ours has been on antidepressants for months as he has been grieving so badly for the one that died last year, another has panic attacks over thunderstorms and has to be rescued from under bushes or behind the fridge...
20.gif

(All torties are female by the way.)

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
One good thing about cats and counters is, they are definitely smart enough to KNOW they are not supposed to be up there. Ours occasionally "forget" and as soon as we notice and make any noise, they look super guilty and jump down
20.gif
3.gif

Torties and calicos are great - they are so pretty
30.gif
I''ve got a calico girl, and she is my baby - seriously the sweetest cat EVER with people she knows, she purrs just to be near you, its super cute. My vet adores her - he confessed when we took our three in over the weekend that she is his favorite
2.gif

Here''s a picture of my little Gretchen, also known in our house as the Princess - these are calico markings - if they have any white on them, they are a calico, if not, they are a tortoiseshell. The patterning is actually really interesting - it only happens in females or in males who have two X chromosomes (very unusual, almost always sterile), because its caused by having one copy each of the genes that cause orange fur and black fur (its actually the same gene, its just different versions). At some point during the cat''s development as a growing kitten fetus, some of the cells randomly turn off one X chromosome and some randomly turn off the other. So the cat ends up with random patches of black and orange fur, which by definition are random and completely different in each tortie and calico cat, so the cat is truly unique.

Gretchielookup12.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
And one more, just because I love showing off my little girl
3.gif
2.gif

Gretchiefacepic13.jpg

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I feel as though you are unsure about cat ownership from some of your comments. So, perhaps really think this whole thing through before you decide to adopt a cat. Cats do have minds of their own. Every cat I''ve ever had has gotten up on my counters at one time or another. I know it is possible to train them not to but mine seem to do it anyway. I do say "No" if I see them up there or I''ll pick them up and put them back on the floor. And they do jump down looking rather guilty. (lol if a cat can look guilty) Every cat we''ve had has also slept on our bed. I like them being there. But that is also easy enough to remedy, just shut the bedroom door. But cats can be very stubborn and will do what *they* want from time to time. That is something to keep in mind.

The only time a male cat''s urine would smell stronger than a females is if he is not neutered. Then the urine does have a very strong smell. Having your cat spayed or neutered and keeping the litterbox clean should take care of any odor. I think male cat''s personalities can be a bit more laid back after having had both sexes.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 2:24:14 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
3.gif
2.gif
Such a pretty Princess!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 3:33:51 PM
Author: Lorelei

3.gif
2.gif

Such a pretty Princess!!

Thanks Ms Lorelei! I think so too
12.gif
And our vet was adorable with her - I was joking that we''re going to have a tough time finding a vet that will worship her appropriately like he does when we move
3.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 3:41:46 PM

Date: 4/22/2009 3:33:51 PM

3.gif
2.gif

Such a pretty Princess!!

Thanks Ms Lorelei! I think so too
12.gif
And our vet was adorable with her - I was joking that we're going to have a tough time finding a vet that will worship her appropriately like he does when we move
3.gif
LOL! I can quite understand the worship! She is a bootiful baby and so snuggly!
30.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 3:50:32 PM

LOL! I can quite understand the worship! She is a bootiful baby and so snuggly!
30.gif

Hehe she really is the sweetest cat I''ve ever had - she is just such a lover. I can hold her in my arms like a baby, and she just purrs at me - too cute!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Awww, AG, she''s gorgeous! I had a calico kitty for about a week when I was 6 (my dog killed her
29.gif
39.gif
) and I just love them to bits.

Oobie, here''s a shot of Ezra so you know what I mean about the moustache. Some cats just have fun markings, and I know that''s not what you mean when you say you don''t want a "normal" looking cat, but they sure do make for fun faces to stare at.

Also, I''m sorry I''m making kind of a creepy face. I just took this picture for the "JFF: Do you have pets" thread in LIW, and I completely forgot I was going to be in the picture, too! Silly Photobooth. (Also, I tried to get a better shot, but he was more interested in snuggles than in posing.)

Ezra4222009.jpg

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Princess! She is my baby. I love all three of them to pieces, but she is my special baby
1.gif

Ezra looks so handsome and grown up - I love him!!

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with princess about visiting shelters until you fall in love with a cat. I, too, wanted a unique looking cat, and I ended up with a plain black kitty. He is VERY handsome though, and with care, I think any cat will be. He has certain spots he likes to sit in so all the guests can admire him.

If you want a sociable kitty, either get a sociable adult, or get a kitten and socialize him/her a lot!

As for training to stay off the counters...hm. It can be done, but I am sure that my cat gets on the counters when I''m not around. For cats, a rule is a rule until you''re out of the room. I do wipe my counters down with soap and water once a day, usually before cooking dinner. He''s a clean animal though, and is an indoor cat. I am careful not to leave food out and then leave the room. If I have to leave the room, I pop it in the microwave or oven real quick. He is very food-motivated, and WILL steal it.

I don''t know how much you''re willing to spend, but I will always recommend a Savannah cat. I had one for a couple years before he passed away from FIP, and he was my ideal pet. Upsides: beautiful, unique, extremely sociable, easy to take care of, cuddly, affectionate, the life of the party, fast learner. Downside: extremely mischievous and always getting into things he wasn''t supposed to (child locks on cupboards may be necessary).

Cats are wonderful, but there will always be a time you come home to a mess (they got sick, missed the litterbox, or decided your toilet paper was a wonderful chew toy). If the thought of this stresses you out, a cat may not be for you. On the other hand, they can totally brighten your day, they make you laugh at their antics, and they can be oh-so-sweet. They make life just a little bit more unpredictable.

Got to take the good with the bad!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
One other thought about keeping kitties off the counters - we use a citrus-scented cleaner on our counters (cats hate the smell of citrus) and it really helps. I''m partial to the Williams-Sonoma brand cleaners, but I think anything scented with lemon, lime, orange or grapefruit would work
1.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Amber & Princess- Your kitties are both adorable!!!

I''ve been reading some more about cats tonight and have some more questions...

Have any of you trained your cat to use the toilet? I found a "how-to" and it seems simple enough if I do it slowly. Just wondering what other people''s experiences and opinions are.

Where do you keep your litter box? We don''t really have a large enough tiled area for one but can put it under the desk in the guest bedroom which is carpeted. It seems a little strange to have a toilet sitting on carpet but it appears many people do the same thing. Would it cause a problem for the kitty if I moved the box out of the room when we have guests over?

I''m supposed to go meet an ADORABLE siamese cat tomorrow(well, today technically). Just by looking at his pictures and talking to his foster mother, I think he might be "the one"!

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck with the siamese kitty! Siamese cats are soooo sweet.

If you''re keeping it on carpet, I''d put a mat underneath it, and either buy something with high sides (I use a rubbermaid bin that my cat can jump in and out of) or something enclosed to minimize litter tracking. I''d also keep a handheld vacuum next to it. Hahahaha, can you tell I hate litter in the carpet? Buy a litter with great odor control (I''d recommend either Precious Cat or World''s Best Cat Litter - neither use perfumes and both are low on the dustiness).

I think cats are usually fine with you moving the box once in a while, as long as you show them where you''ve moved it to. Mine doesn''t mind anyways.

I''ve known people who have toilet-trained their cats. I hear it takes some patience, but it can be done!

I''ve wanted to toilet-train mine but my fiance thinks that would just be too weird.
25.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I did not read all responses to your thread closely, however, if you are looking for a cat breed that is floppy, people oriented and is of medium hair - RAGDOLL. Ragdolls have a single coat, which means that they shed less than Persians and other cats with double coats (yes, even short hair cats have double coats). My cat sheds less than my mom''s tabby!

However, there are other breeds that are great too! I love Siamese, as they are people oriented and love to talk. They also get points from me, as they are quite intelligent.

I also have to agree with AG regarding Science Diet and RC foods, but that is an entirely different debate.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oobie, with Siamese they are very active cats and also very agile and you might find it more of a challenge to keep one off countertops and high places. They are a high maintenance breed in as much as they can be noisy, jealous, demanding and very people oriented, they need lots of company so if you are out all day they might not be the best breed for you. But they are also extremely intelligent and loving.

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
congrats on deciding to get a cat! they are truly great companions and i think it''s great that you''re doing your homework before you jump in.
36.gif

i''m a big advocate for adoption so my advice would be to lean towards going to a reputable local shelter, or if you''re really set on the Persian breed, see if there''s a local Persian rescue organization. i don''t have much experience with Persians but a few of my friends do have them. they''re such lovely cats and yes, they are a high maintenance breed. as a first time cat owner, i would suggest a lower maintenance breed, but that''s not to say you and your DH shouldn''t go for it if that''s what you two really want.

my boyfriend and i decided to get a cat about a year and a half ago. at first, i wasn''t sure since we''re both dog lovers and although he grew up with cats, i had only grown up with a dog. we live in a condo together and we felt having a dog in our little place wouldn''t be fair. especially for the larger breeds we were considering, but we definitely felt we were ready for a companion. anyway, we searched through Petfinder.com and found our 12 week old domestic short haired kitten at our local humane society shelter through their foster program. when we visited him at an adoption fair, we found out that he was one in a litter that had abandoned by the mother. the foster mom and shelter volunteers strongly suggested adopting one of his litter-mates as a companion for him and we ended up adopting his sister as well. we''re so glad that we did! oh, i should mention that they both had their shots, were already fixed and were microchipped when we got them too. score! anyway, they''ve grown up to be so loving and we can''t imagine them not being in our lives.

when you do get your cat, you should find a good vet! just like finding a good doctor for yourself, there is nothing wrong with "shopping around" until you find one that you''re comfortable with. ask your friends who have pets or even the people shopping at your local pet goods store. here''s a link for tips:
http://www.2ndchance.info/goodvet2.htm

i agree with Feralpenchant about "free feeding" and getting your cat to eat good quality wet food. i''m actually against feeding your cat dry food since it''s full of carbohydrates composed primarily of starches. since cats are carnivores, it just makes sense to feed them a meat based food. i actually feed my cats a natural raw diet that i make myself. i''ve found that it''s actually cheaper for me to make it versus buying canned, plus it cuts down on vet costs. in the end i feel better knowing that they''re eating healthy, and i know exactly what''s going into their food rather than some big cat food corporation adding fillers and scrimping on quality ingredients. like AmberGretchen said, the big name brands like Science Diet is a poor quality food. i could go on and on about the benefits of making your own cat food, but here are some links for more info:
http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.htm
http://www.catnutrition.org
http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html

another tip i can offer is on litter boxes. choose a nice BIG box since the more room he/she has, the more comfortable your kitty will be which will reinforce your cat to always use it. also, i recommend choosing a good clumping litter that is UN-scented. cats have an extremely sensitive sense of smell and if you choose to get a hooded litter box, the scents in some litters will just be too much for your cat and might deter him/her from using it. i''ve found that if you scoop at least twice a day, and keep the litter box clean, there isn''t a need for added scents. feeding them a raw diet does help too since their stool is so small and virtually has no odor. i''ve also found that the Litter Locker, which is basically the Diaper Genie for cats, is so convenient and aids tremendously in odor control. i''ve got three boxes (1 for each cat, plus 1 extra) and you honestly can''t tell we have cats until they trot up to greet you.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751261
here''s another link about litter boxes:
http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

anyway i hope you find the info useful, and good luck and best wishes on your search for your new lifelong friend! it will be totally worth it.
9.gif
please update us too!

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
oh, i forgot to say to AmberGretchen and princesss - your kitties are absolutely beautiful!

and i agree with cats having fun markings! here''s my boy Felony with his "fangs" when he was a kitten.

felony.jpg

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 6:17:58 PM
Author: vip0802
oh, i forgot to say to AmberGretchen and princesss - your kitties are absolutely beautiful!

and i agree with cats having fun markings! here''s my boy Felony with his ''fangs'' when he was a kitten.

OMGoodness! Those fangs are just about the most adorable things I''ve ever seen. Plus I''m a sucker for gray kitties. A total sucker for them. He''s gorgeous.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 5:04:19 PM
Oobie, with Siamese they are very active cats and also very agile and you might find it more of a challenge to keep one off countertops and high places. They are a high maintenance breed in as much as they can be noisy, jealous, demanding and very people oriented, they need lots of company so if you are out all day they might not be the best breed for you. But they are also extremely intelligent and loving.
You have just described my diva Ragdoll (minus the "agile" part)...I think she is a Siamese at heart! She acts like she does not need us, but after we get home from the grocery store, she is so needy.

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Hey I like all the suggestions so far- rescues and such.. My cats were strays and I feel like they just found us! Me and my BF decided to get a kitten for our apt and we checked craigslist and lo and behold, there was a posting for two little kittens, fit in the palm of their hand, and had blue eyes (which we wanted!)

We picked them up the next day, and immediately fell in love. But, turns out cats'' eyes change colors just like humans! So now they both have amber colored eyes but I LOVE THEM. My cuties are part siamese, so they are very people friendly. I have to completely agree with pandora that male cats are more friendly as well.

About the counter and bed thing- We want our cats to sleep with us, and they wont! They spend the night jumping over us and playing with our toes and feet, and we just want to cuddle! But they are bad about the counters. They are very afraid of the water spray bottle, so as soon as they see that, they get the heck out of there! That''s the only thing that has worked so far.

The litter will work out eventually- we have two litter boxes in our *tiny* apt, but we do have two cats, so it''s helpful. We keep in on carpet- at my house, I hate it on the tile because then if you step near it, it sticks to your feet and ewwww... gross.
Good luck with your cat visit! I hope you find the right cat for you... I''m sure you will take better care of it than you give yourself credit for!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''ve probably had about 18 siamese and they are very high maintenance in terms of needing attention. A single one will be pretty unhappy left at home alone all day as they are very sociable and are ''people cats'' not ''place cats''. They are also VERY naughty,

On the litter box thing - get an enclosed one so that they can''t kick the litter everywhere. You might well end up with accidents if you try moving the litter box from it''s normal place, but as long as you are prepared for that.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 7:40:28 PM
Author: Pandora II
On the litter box thing - get an enclosed one so that they can''t kick the litter everywhere. You might well end up with accidents if you try moving the litter box from it''s normal place, but as long as you are prepared for that.
I second this advice and also agree with the person who suggested to buy a roomy box as well. My cat is on the "tall" and "long" side and I knew from looking at small & medium size litter boxes would be a tight fit, until I found an extra large size by VanNess.

Also, once your cat likes a litter, I do not suggest you change it. I made that mistake with my cat. While in the adoption process, her foster mother told me she liked clay based litter. However, I just had to go ahead and try to change her over to a corn based litter because I had read it was more eco friendly and might even be better for the cat. I tried mixing a bit of the new litter into her box to slowly convert her, however, she protested by sitting down right before me and peed on the floor. Needless to say, I went back to her former litter and all has been well. I have read that others have had success with converting their cats to this form of litter though, but do so at your risk!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Well, I just got back from meeting the siamese kitty. He is too precious! His foster mother told me all about how she found him and how he was skin and bones, neglected, missing half his fur and had a horrible skin condition. This was around September. She has nursed him back to health and really worked on his behavior. He will bite fairly gently and swat at you without his claws out sometimes but she is very persistent about telling him "no" so he mainly just does it to new people who haven''t established their dominance yet. She says he does NOT get on the kitchen counters (yayy!) and she doesn''t allow her cats on the furniture either so we could make our own decision about allowing that. He loves being around people (he runs to the door when the doorbell rings!) but would rather just sit next to you than sit in your lap or be rubbed. He is really great about using a litterbox too.

DH couldn''t go with me but I took some video of the kitty so I''ll show him when he gets home in a few minutes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results