shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice and recommendation on vintage asscher engagement ring

moohat

Rough_Rock
Howdy folks,

I did some searching, had a tough time coming up with answers to these questions, so I figured I'd post a thread, and let people point me in the right direction.

I'm on the hunt for an engagement ring, asscher cut, around 2 carats or so, preferably vintage. While I've found a ton of beautiful vintage rings, the asscher variety have been a lot harder to come by. I found one in particular, and I wanted to get people's opinion, as well as ask a couple of questions. Here's the particulars of the stone:

• 2.03 carats
  • H color, SI1 clarity
  • 7.17 x 6.89 x 4.76 mm
  • Depth: 69.1%
  • Table: 59%
  • Girdle: Thin
  • Culet: None

Here's some pictures of the ring:

asscher1.jpg
asscher2.jpg
asscher3.jpg

I appreciate the fact it's older, but not as ornate as a lot of art deco rings I've seen, with cleaner lines generally. I've looked at the ring in person, and it seems good to me, but I'm inexperienced at this, so let me ask some questions:

• What should I be asking or checking for about the ring before I sign on the dotted line? The diamond is GIA graded, the dealer offers a refund policy, is reputable, etc. etc - what else should I do?
  • I have read that Asscher stones tend to do okay a little "warmer" than some of the other cuts, so H is okay, but do I need to worry about the SI1? I didn't see any visible inclusions, but I didn't look under magnification
  • On some of the other boards on the forum, I've noticed people talking about getting down to the level of ASET images of diamonds they were considering buying - is that something I should be considering, or is the GIA report sufficient?

And in general, I'm open to any feedback, including - if anyone knows of any other, similar, rings and want to point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. If I should have read elsewhere or done more homework before posting, my apologies, and a gentle push towards the answers would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd def have it sent out to you to see and possibly get appraised before the return period expires. If you love it in person and have priced out comparable stones and it's priced well then it's a good deal.

moohat

Rough_Rock
Re: Advice and recommendation on vintage asscher engagement

Amys Bling|1331422180|3145838 said:
I'd def have it sent out to you to see and possibly get appraised before the return period expires. If you love it in person and have priced out comparable stones and it's priced well then it's a good deal.

I've seen it in person - I'm fortunate enough that the vendor happens to be located in my home city, so that's a plus. I'll definitely take it to have it appraised, appreciate the info. I just want to make sure I'm asking the right questions. Thanks!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would price out using the diamond search tool here on PS the ct, clarity, color, and cut to see why comparable asschers are going for.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Advice and recommendation on vintage asscher engagement

Well, you may have already asked this, but is this an original asscher or square emerald cut? If it's an original asscher, those are very hard to come by.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results